Welcome back: Hillier Than Thou!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
People who are interested in dipping their toes into more pain than they are used to. Many different skill levels out there. What may be hell for them may be easier for you. Don’t be that guy Dave
Hey, I’m just pokin fun homie. Glad to see you riding again. I have big toes to dip so just go all in. Find a way and a reason to finish.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'm excited for events like this to be on the calendar during the best riding season. CX has taken such a stronghold in these parts that so many great events have gone away...
I agree. I like all cycling TBH. I seem to be better at long, grindy suffering(just easier I think) but CX and XC really excite me. I kinda wish I didn't go the endurance route a few years back as I feel kinda slow in the punchy stuff but can grind forever. Whatever your choice come out and climb some hills. It's beautiful out there.

bigW

come on now, it isn't that much more than Hell of Hunterdon, and you've been riding more....
and there is the cool finishers medal!

pic of cool medal

IMHO : most of the damage is done by having a half dozen nasty climbs that force the burning of many matches : Fiddlers, IronBridge, Webster/Decker and a couple short steep ones. I shalt be there ideally in a SS rig of some sort....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
IMHO : most of the damage is done by having a half dozen nasty climbs that force the burning of many matches : Fiddlers, IronBridge, Webster/Decker and a couple short steep ones. I shalt be there ideally in a SS rig of some sort....

geez, don't tell Rob! :D

it didn't help that the last one was mid-80s out. Think i wrote it up somewhere,
i had to sit at the bottom of the last climb back to the camp to collect myself.
Also tried to hit 50 going down harmony-brass castle following Bill. that
was dumb, cause Wester is right after that.....with that chunk of Fox Farm.....

Last edited:

bigW

Decided to knock at least one bucket list item off this year before my body has completely fallen apart.

Plunked in 39x22 stump pulling gears into the SS and used an old HTT route file...bring on the suffering. Only one rule ‘zero foot dabs allowed’

F23B16FB-D5DE-4E96-A7DB-AE7B0AB7F238.jpeg
A0198E8E-C1F0-4641-9D1A-2CF2C96363D2.jpeg
5EA4F094-EF7A-4B9D-8508-54D3A0E66C1D.png
9EC66305-D0A9-4044-BF6C-419A9AD08F5D.png

Almost got in trouble on Fiddlers Elbow by trying squeak by without burning too many matches ( shoulda hit the attack button ) and by the 50 mile mark after Iron Bridge I was ruined. Had to grind through the next 50 miles on 1/2 impulse power but frankly everything else feels like rolling hills after the big boys...

No speed records were set and not happy to have Black River Deli closed so no water stop after 56 miles ( Glen Gardner ). Survived but not the most enjoyable 8.5 hours.

Registered for Sept 22 but gonna be elsewhere. Before switching out gears might do a 50 mile attack on Fiddlers/IronBridge Saturday without the throttle dialed back

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Decided to knock at least one bucket list item off this year before my body has completely fallen apart.

Plunked in 39x22 stump pulling gears into the SS and used an old HTT route file...bring on the suffering. Only one rule ‘zero foot dabs allowed’

View attachment 103033View attachment 103034View attachment 103035View attachment 103036

Almost got in trouble on Fiddlers Elbow by trying squeak by without burning too many matches ( shoulda hit the attack button ) and by the 50 mile mark after Iron Bridge I was ruined. Had to grind through the next 50 miles on 1/2 impulse power but frankly everything else feels like rolling hills after the big boys...

No speed records were set and not happy to have Black River Deli closed so no water stop after 56 miles ( Glen Gardner ). Survived but not the most enjoyable 8.5 hours.

Registered for Sept 22 but gonna be elsewhere. Before switching out gears might do a 50 mile attack on Fiddlers/IronBridge Saturday without the throttle dialed back

Nice work but maybe it's time for a rear derailleur. I'll never understand ss on the road. I know, it's me.

bigW

Nice work but maybe it's time for a rear derailleur. I'll never understand ss on the road. I know, it's me.

SS on the road is awesome when the cadence range feels good for 99% of the ride. This was more of a test of what is possible for me without a foot dab on the climbs. There are a few flat sections where spinning 39x22 at 15mph is silly. ?

Having a great season tearing it up on the road 42x15, able to hang in some speedy pace lines and still mostly survive the hills. I guess it’s a personal preference thing but the carbon road bike has not been ridden in a few years...

W

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@bigW

1 - high gear water bottles are key to any throwback ride
2 - nice job
3 - you are officially nuts i have a hard time climbing fiddlers at 36/28, maybe i'm doing it wrong?
4 - see 2 and 3.
5 - did you check the temps today? yikes.

bigW

@bigW

1 - high gear water bottles are key to any throwback ride
2 - nice job
3 - you are officially nuts i have a hard time climbing fiddlers at 36/28, maybe i'm doing it wrong?
4 - see 2 and 3.
5 - did you check the temps today? yikes.

#5 My ‘today’ was a few days ago just before I left town on a biz trip so I missed the heat....

Top Bottom