Weird creak...hard to isolate

ellbiddy

So I have a weird creak in my headset/stem/bar area...so I did the usual:

1.) Ripped apart the stem/bar junction, greased everything creak still there

2.) Ripped apart stem/steerer junction, greased everything creak still there

3.) Little grease on steerer/crown race, creak still there.

4.) Checked for frame cracks...none

Then (short of ripping out the headset) I pressed the brakes pushed on the bars creak is totally GONE...:confused:

So I pressed one lever..pushed...creak there.

Pressed other lever ...pushed...creak there.

Pressed both levers...creak gone...

Ripped off caliper ... creak there....

Replaced caliper, ripped off rotor ... creak there....

replaced rotor...pressed both levers creak gone....let go of levers creak there..

Clipped my zip ties on the brake hose....creak there

I'm getting frustrated with this, I assume it's not the headset as pressing both levers down makes it go away. Maybe my bar is cracked by the levers and when I push them down it holds it in place? I looked around though didn't see anything obvious. I'm all out of ideas, anyone notice anything I missed that would explain the creak coming and going with both levers pressed?

Brakes are avid juicy 5's, F100 RLC fork, and ahead headset

Are your cable housings rubbing each other where they cross?
Are they touching anything else?

I tried to check for that, I wrapped the brake housings in socks and still nothing. I even greased all the metal ended shifter housings in case they were rubbing on the frame's braze ons. Still nothing....perplexing!

Edit, just went through with clay and wrapped any spots the cables touched other cables or the frame and nada

Last edited:
How do you make the squeak appear? Hold down the brakes and do what? Are you in contact with the bike other than your hands when you do it?

I stand over the bike like I'm going to ride it and push down on the bars with the fork locked out. I do the same movement with the brakes off and it creaks. Same movement (I made sure to move the same way when holding the brakes) with the brakes on no creak.

If I unlock the fork it also makes the creak, just have to get through a smidget of travel first. If I had to guess it still sounds like it's coming from the headset area, but if I hold down the levers I could jump up on the bars and get no noise.

I vote it's somewhere in the cables. Look at the endcaps and at the cable guides.
If it's still a problem, I hear the sage advice of my dad when discussing my car, "Turn up the radio.";)

I just don't get how pressing both levers makes it go away >:| Too annoying to let go. If I don't get it soon maybe I'll swing by halters with it.

Could it be in your fork crown? Possibly a stanchion tube or steerer has become loose. You may find this helpful: http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets#creaks

I have a similar story. I had a creak that was driving me nuts! I did like you did, took everything apart and greased it; headset, crank arms, bb, you name it, I took it apart. Creak still there. It echoed through the frame, so it was hard to pinpoint. It creaked when I pedaled, it creaked when I did not. It took days to figure out that it was my damned seat post! I greased it when I first installed it, but I guess it wasn't enough. I greased it again and creak gone. You should check your seat post!

my experience with a similar mystery creak turned out to be the headset. tried all of the above to no avail. replaced headset and problem solved.
a.

You should check your seat post!

That was my first thought which is why I asked how he made the creak happen. But he's standing and not in the saddle so that almost surely eliminates the post and BB, my top 2 choices.

Could it be in your fork crown?

I was going to suggest this. Suspension forks will sometimes develop a creak where the stanchion goes into the crown assembly. On Fox forks, it's more common than not. If you do determine it's the fork, take it off the bike, set it upside-down, and drip green loctite into the crown all the way around the stanchion. Let it dry for 24 hours. That'll shut 'er up!!

-Jim.

Try greasing the front/rear quick release shafts and cams. Sometimes...

Tried it

I was going to suggest this. Suspension forks will sometimes develop a creak where the stanchion goes into the crown assembly. On Fox forks, it's more common than not. If you do determine it's the fork, take it off the bike, set it upside-down, and drip green loctite into the crown all the way around the stanchion. Let it dry for 24 hours. That'll shut 'er up!!

-Jim.

Why would it go away when I press both levers.

If I had to put money on it it still SOUNDS like it's coming from the headset, but it's an aluminum bike so it's super deceiving since the sound can travel from damn near anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokEA3Wf-20

There it is. That mid creek with the levers pressed wasn't the bike.

One thing I did notice is that if the fork ISN'T locked out, pressing the brakes is not really a solution to making it stop, still a light creak. It SOUNDS like a headset issue, but I don't get the whole magic brake thing.

Huh, now that is totally a totally distinct sound between the 2. It sounds to me more like a click than a creak though? Not that it matters.

Man it makes me wonder if you took the grips and levers off, held them in your hand, and then did the experiment would you still get the same results.

I'm very curious to find out what it is.

Huh, now that is totally a totally distinct sound between the 2. It sounds to me more like a click than a creak though? Not that it matters.

Man it makes me wonder if you took the grips and levers off, held them in your hand, and then did the experiment would you still get the same results.

I'm very curious to find out what it is.

Will try it now.

Sweet! This sure makes the slow work day easier to deal with. Love how the Internet has changed things.

Maybe I'll go grab a coffee in the meantime...

Same, levers in my hands pressed in...no noise, let go...noise..

Loosened the shifter housings the whole way as well. Same outcome.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom