Weight weenie broken Race Face next crank.

Discussion in '"Shop" Talk' started by David Taylor, May 6, 2017.

1. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

So, I have broken my second Raceface Next SL crank. I thought the first was from a pedal strike but ultimately after some digging the pedal boss comes unbonded from the carbon arm. Takeahikeshop warranties the first one in December. I just noticed the other side doing the same thing at CR on Thursday. After some reading it looks like it was a known problem and hopefully the G4 version has it fixed. I have the G4 on my fs bike. This really sucks when you have three bikes invested with them with direct drive absolute black chainrings and such. Big $. Are STAM XX1 cranks any better or am I looking at the same problem?

2. Sevenz

Sevenz Member

Pics? Been running Next SL cranks for a couple of years with no issues...

3. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

IMG_6208.JPG IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6208.JPG
    This is the current ine(left side). Takeahikeshop warranties the other side through raceface. Hoping they upgrade me to G4. Notice in second pic I had covers on the ends and no indications of strikes or anything.

4. Karate Monkey

Karate Monkey Well-Known Member

Sounds like great design, just like Campy's carbon cranks :rolleyes:

Hope they come through for you. If they let you keep the old one, I would cut it on a bandsaw to see exactly what/why it failed, but that's me.

(don't have anything to add to the conversation, sorry)

5. Supermoto

Supermoto Well-Known Member

20170322_130917.jpg
    I broke my G4 crank, no rock strikes, just broke while out riding one day. They are making a newer stronger design for AM riding. My XX1 have been great, no issues yet plenty of rock strikes

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. gtluke

gtluke The Moped Team MTBNJ Halter's

I have 3 sets of beat to death xx1 cranks, never a problem.

David Taylor likes this.
  7. jimvreeland

jimvreeland Shop: Hilltop Bicycles Shop Keep

Also have a pair of Next SL cranks that are 4ish years old with several million miles on them. No issues.

8. Mountain Bike Mike

Mountain Bike Mike Well-Known Member

Save money - X01 with a direct mount chainring.. same weight as xx1 for way less $$$

9. RSAmerica

RSAmerica Well-Known Member

Me to, I have 2 bikes with them with no problems.

10. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Even fords make it to 100,000 once in a while.

mike_243 likes this.
  11. jimvreeland

jimvreeland Shop: Hilltop Bicycles Shop Keep

Maybe if tow truck miles count too.

RickVaughn likes this.
  12. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Just looked at my warrantied one and that is now effed too! 3 broken Next SL arms( both sides). WTF. The pair had about 1400 miles on them but this warranty one from December is less than 300 miles.

13. Pampa

Pampa Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

I have 3 pairs on 3 different bikes. No problems at all yet (fingers crossed). One doesn't get ridden too much (my son's bike). Of the other two, one I bought just when they launched them. I've used them w/o boots and no issues. The other pair I've had for about 3 years in my fat bike. Not as many miles; no problems.

Maybe there's something off w/ the spindle of your pedals, or some other part of your pedals?

14. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Nah, think they just don't hold up to single speed rigid 29er Clydesdale type riders. A lot of my riding is rigid at chimney rock and trying to hammer hills.