Weekly north jersey rides for 4-7 year olds!

pxs231

As I’ve been trying to get my little guy mountain biking and talking to others who are doing the same, I thought why not start some group rides for the little guys/girls? There are plenty of rides for adults and NICA kids, but not for the little ones. We have enjoyed riding parts of kittattinny, Stephens and Lewis Morris. The number one goal would be for them to have fun while mountain biking and riding with some new friends. Maybe some ice cream can be had after the ride too! So who is interested? Please post what day, time and location would work best for you. I’m thinking we would start easy and adjust as necessary.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am definitely interested in this depending on the parks chosen. I have had my 5 year old son to 6 Mile 3 times now. He can only handle the flat sections for about 3 miles or so at this point so he is still just developing the ability to ride off pavement.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
@pxs231 I was in the same boat... I have 4 kids and my oldest is currently 8.

Realizing that most kids I saw in the trails were with parents who may or may not be on mtbnj, I started a Facebook group to help connect: New Jersey Junior Mountain Bikers
See if this works
https://m.facebook.com/groups/186882311813149

Also have an IG @nj_junior_mtbers

@Christopher barry @moose35 and i have met some awesome people putting kids rides together. Most of ours have been Allaire/Clayton type, but we did get to 6mile this winter too. Would love to have some North NJ folks set some up that we could join in. I'm not confident enough with those trail systems to lead kids around (though we do normally specify what "level" riding should he expected.... like certain rides are for more advanced kids who know how to use gears and can handle tougher hills)

lilbuj

My 6 year old likes Loantaka Brook Reservation (Mix of Paved paths and crushed stone) can do about 8 miles there. Patriots Path is the next step up. We would be interested. Depending on the day.

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
following the thread and will join the IG and FB items mentioned. my son (6) loves to mtb and we'd love to connect with some other northern NJ families. I am not that familiar with park systems outside of Eagle Rock, Mills & Hilltop so would not be the best ride leader.

Christopher barry

@pxs231 I was in the same boat... I have 4 kids and my oldest is currently 8.

Realizing that most kids I saw in the trails were with parents who may or may not be on mtbnj, I started a Facebook group to help connect: New Jersey Junior Mountain Bikers
See if this works
https://m.facebook.com/groups/186882311813149

Also have an IG @nj_junior_mtbers

@Christopher barry @moose35 and i have met some awesome people putting kids rides together. Most of ours have been Allaire/Clayton type, but we did get to 6mile this winter too. Would love to have some North NJ folks set some up that we could join in. I'm not confident enough with those trail systems to lead kids around (though we do normally specify what "level" riding should he expected.... like certain rides are for more advanced kids who know how to use gears and can handle tougher hills)
And please don't limit this to just younger kids! As @Matt_ said we normally post the skill level for the ride we are doing. My son is 14yrs old and unfortunately with his mother & I being divorced he doesn't do NICA because of the logistical nightmare of making it to practices, etc so this was a great thing for Justin and myself! So go ahead and post up @new Jersey Junior Mountain Bikers on Facebook! Let's get some rides going for all the kids!

oobaa47

I'm in!!! I have a 4, 7, and 9 year old.....all love to ride their bikes....nothing hardcore though, as long as it's beginner friendly.....ie, flat and non-technical....

pxs231

Being parents we all know how hard it to find free time on the weekends, especially when the weather gets nice. I guess one way to do this is for people to post up when they plan to ride with their kids and as many join as they can. So far it looks like we are pretty well spread out all over North Jersey.
Unfortunately I am not on facebook and at this point don't need another reason to stare at my phone, but I would hope that we could maintain all the mediums and capture as many interested riders as we can. I went scouting at the Tourne with my son yesterday. I don't currently see an easy loop there yet, but we had fun with the rock formation by the playground.

I think places like Six Mile and Allaire are ideal, but they are about an hour drive for me, so I'll keep my eye open for rides over there and try my best to join. For now, please post up your availability so that we have some idea for best times to plan for rides. My son and I are available most weekdays after 4:30 PM.
If there is interest we can do an easy ~2 mile ride with a short stop at a playground in the middle at Dickerson Mine this Wednesday starting ~5:30pm.

oobaa47

Thanks for starting the thread @pxs231 . We would love to get our little ones involved. @taylor185 and I have taken our dudes down to 6mi but Essex Co is no so friendly for 5 & 6 y/o kids because of the rock & root factor. Willing to travel to other local parks!

Anybody been to Parson's Pond Park in Bergen?
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/...n-countys-newest-trail-dig.42590/#post-732464

Just got back from Parsons Pond Park. I'd have to say it was a little above my kids abilities (ages 4,7,9). It had some pretty tight single track with off-camber sections and a decent amount of bench cut trail. It also had a little bit of elevation to it (IE it wasn't completely flat). There were some trees down and it looks like the entire trail network has not been completed yet. It is a pretty small place but I think it would be great for beginners that have a little bit of single track experience.

trener1

I would love to join in occasionally, my son is turning 5, so far he has only ridden in pavement but really likes it, I think he would love to ride with other kids, if you guys are going to a really easy park I think it would be great.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am off on Friday and am thinking of taking my 5 year old to 6 Mile Run if conditions permit. Timing is somewhat flexible if anyone wants to join in but I would like to ride mid day-ish and be done before 2pm.

overbrook

For the little rippers and parents located within striking distance of Cedar Grove, kids dig the side trails off the rail trail that connects from Verona High School to just beyond Cedar Grove community park......and, bonus, just below the new CG Community Center on Fairview is the new Kid's Korse for this year's Hilltop Grasshopper on August 11, you'll spot a separate thread about this kid's race. Check strava to see all segments, most of which are super kid friendly (not rocky, rooty, techy, hilly) and easy to find and explore. Essex county has fast NICA kids because they regularly train on many of these and nearby more challenging trails.

Top Bottom