we pissed off mother earth

ilnadi

OK, two good days
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the morning.
Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon.

then,
Tuesday A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Friday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 85.

mustclime

Just go for a run, you are a tougher target to hit by cars....disclaimers; I have been hit 3 times on a road bike.:eek:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Why thank you for the input, coming from someone that is never “every” makes useless posts, that means a lot.
Saying to stay off the road because you got hit 3 Times is like saying you should stay off the Mtb because you crash every ride. There are things out of your control but there are many things that you can control. Picking roads to keep you safe is one of them.

mustclime

Saying to stay off the road because you got hit 3 Times is like saying you should stay off the Mtb because you crash every ride. There are things out of your control but there are many things that you can control. Picking roads to keep you safe is one of them.
I will say “ stay off the road in Fort Lee” . Most of the drivers can be blindfolded with a peace of dental floss and would be much more at home driving a yak than an oversized SUV.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will forgo posting anything other than to leave this here:

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 10.23.03 PM.png

mntal

While this comment was insensitive and I am not necessarily disagreeing with your removal here, I think you need to take a hard look at many other things from many other members. I went a did a search on the site for other terms that people could possible be offended by and found some pretty striking stuff. If you are going to start banning people, then you better get a bigger net, search for every possible offensive thing, and start getting consistent.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While this comment was insensitive and I am not necessarily disagreeing with your removal here, I think you need to take a hard look at many other things from many other members. I went a did a search on the site for other terms that people could possible be offended by and found some pretty striking stuff. If you are going to start banning people, then you better get a bigger net, search for every possible offensive thing, and start getting consistent.

I'd say 2 things to this:

1. If there's something specific, feel free to point it out and I will try to address it. Just like @Carson can't possibly catch all the people speeding in town, I can't possibly catch all the offensive/obnoxious posts.
2. The poster in question here has a pretty poor-to-questionable track record. For the most part, I have been letting it slide because very little of what he said has bothered me. However, this specific one was not only over the line, it was over the next few lines. If you've been around the forum for a little bit, you'd know I have a half-Asian daughter. So, you know, I'm gonna have a shorter leash there. I'm only human.

The reality is that mustclimb adds very little positive anything to the board. The vast majority of his posts are seemingly meant to enflame/anger people. If he was a generally positive addition to the board, it would be easier to let slide as a one-off. But the reality is, that's not the case.

mntal

inally caught up, nicely done... Oh and If nazi Germany had an NFL team called the Berlin blitzkrieg... And their helmets had giant picture of Hitler on the side of it... I would still route like hell for them to beat the Cowboys, then bake Jerry Jones in an oven. ☺ has a nice ring to it depending on your background.

.of that, “my dinosaur is going to smash your dinosaur's face” that little boys can bring to the table sometimes. Those 3 boys are going to be fags or Ron Jeremy when they grow up. One kid got hit on the head by a piece of candy from the pinata and lost her shit. Some kids want to get rained...i suppose someone could take it the wrong way

It's always perfect riding with these homo's. fair enough

..dude on my route owed me $4.20...he would never answer his door. One day I got pissed while ringing his bell, out of frustration I yelled out NIGGER. Instantly the window from upstairs opened and the dude started yelling at me, i was like look...just pay me. I don't recall whatever came of it... this one may be out of context, but none the less, if we are going to patrol free speech.

ol at hard tails in northern nj trails...just call them a$$hammers, for those that love a good prison rape in the morning ;) maybe some of the victims of rape do love that?

The first amendment gives free speech - I don't believe however that it gives the right to irresponsible speech. But who is to decide what is irresponsible? Some of the above things came from well respected members of this website. Who is the governor of free speech? Everyone has the right to say what they want, AND the right to be offended. If people are offended, don't come back to the website - there is nothing binding any of us from ever having to look at this website again. Forget turning this is a "safe space" - if you do that, might as well give in to the generation of the weak and helpless. None of these items offend me - not even the one that guy got booted for. I have said far worse, and so has everyone on here, unless some of the folks here are perfect and I am sure some will claim to be - feel free to get up on the high throne. Once you shut one person down however you have started a precedent which you now must uphold without hesitation. Frankly, you should either let this guy back on, or these four people above should be taken off. Regardless of whether someone adds or detracts, that is simply your opinion - he may think he was adding, you judge it to be distracting. Perception is 99% of reality.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think your missing a point here, and that is that this is a privately owned forum the rules are readily available to all who join, and you agree to abide by them. While i understand you are debating where the line is on this paragraph.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

you are wasting your breath because right after it is this line.

We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

which basically says final judgment falls on the owners/staff who run the site.

rules can be found here http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/help/terms/

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mntal

I think the real issue here is intent. I can't look at any of the above comments you mention and see any harmful intent with any of them. Are they edgy and perhaps over the line? Sure, that argument can be made. I have had my share of line crossing statements in the past. It happens, I get it. But I feel the intent of Mustclimb is singly aimed at offending an entire race of people. One of them happens to by my almost-neighbor, who I will call out, @qclabrat. To possibly offend him with what, to me, is hate speech, that's too much. If I have to choose between qclabrat and mustclimb, well, I've made my choice.

Who is the governor? Don't know, but for now I wear the Mayoral Sash (see avatar pic) so I'm the de facto judge & jury of this stuff. The fact that 23 people have liked my post booting him and explaining it, and 0 have liked yours, gives me some indication that I am not too far off the rails. I am wide open for discussion on this. And for sure, I am willing to admit if I have been too heavy-handed with anything. But in this case, I think this is one of those "the will of the people is being served" kinda things.

I do appreciate your level-headed reply. And I also admit that if I knew mustclimb this may be different. Hell, maybe I know him. Maybe it's my mom. IDK. But he had to know damn well when he posted that, it was too much.

echappy

The first amendment gives free speech - I don't believe however that it gives the right to irresponsible speech. But who is to decide what is irresponsible? Some of the above things came from well respected members of this website. Who is the governor of free speech? Everyone has the right to say what they want, AND the right to be offended. If people are offended, don't come back to the website - there is nothing binding any of us from ever having to look at this website again.
Not in a vacuum, it doesn't. I don't know where you read the First Amendment, but the version I saw states (emphases added)
Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech
The binding party here is the government, not private individuals or entities. As other pointed out, you are making a moot and irrelevant point, as this is a private forum.

and fyi, even the government (at least when it comes to employment) can and will regulate speech; private companies have even greater latitude. I'm a federal civil servant, and if I said any of the offensive things you posted above, I can be sure to be reprimanded (or fired)
Forget turning this is a "safe space" - if you do that, might as well give in to the generation of the weak and helpless. None of these items offend me - not even the one that guy got booted for. I have said far worse, and so has everyone on here, unless some of the folks here are perfect and I am sure some will claim to be - feel free to get up on the high throne. Once you shut one person down however you have started a precedent which you now must uphold without hesitation. Frankly, you should either let this guy back on, or these four people above should be taken off. Regardless of whether someone adds or detracts, that is simply your opinion - he may think he was adding, you judge it to be distracting. Perception is 99% of reality.
slippery slope arguments are a) just lazy and b) logically-lacking. You are alleging without providing any evidence as to how one gets from point a) ("safe space") to point b) (generation of the weak and helpless). Who exactly becomes weak and helpless from increase in respect and civility? Is it the people hurling insults or the people on the receiving end? And if it's the latter, just how does this happen? FWIW, people on the receiving end had to endure abuses when the hurling of insults was not deemed socially unacceptable, and those on the receiving end didn't have the political power to push back. Now that they are pushing back, they all the sudden become weak?

Everyone loves talking about how supporting they are of freedom of speech, until someone decides to gore the thing/idea s/he holds dear. The purpose of decorum is not to limit what you say: it is to maintain a level of civility. I personally think the other posts to which you alluded are abhorent, but their existence does not mean the present instance should be ignored until all other wrongs are addressed.

Also, had i chanced upon the offending posts you posted, I would most certainly have said something about it. And no, I'm not gay, black, or have been the victim of prison rape. One doesn't need to have direct personal connection to find posts to be odious, and I've actually called out people for making prison rape jokes on other fora, sadly on numerous occasions.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I have watched this develop quite closely. With freedom comes responsibility. You have the freedom to say whatever you would like to say. Others have the freedom to react negatively to said speech. Sometimes there are consequences when others find what you have to say repulsive.

I am generally for more freedom and less rules. I believe that wrongdoings more or less get sorted out on their own. In this case that philosophy held true. Mustclime said something pretty far over a line and he got the boot. If he wanted to be a part of this community he would have made an effort to provide value to the community. As was pointed out his contributions were generally divisive or inflammatory. He was and is free to say whatever he wants. That doesn't mean we have to listen.

Top Bottom