Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Kaleidopete

Some nice frozen trails today, but......ice is unreliable, some will hold you and some will not.

Doublepond trail today
Dsc01978.jpg
Dsc01982.jpg

Cedar swamp icy1.JPG

FitmanNJ

Some nice frozen trails today, but......ice is unreliable, some will hold you and some will not.

Doublepond trail today
View attachment 85119View attachment 85120

View attachment 85121
Hi, Pete. I saw a post of yours on mtbr.com referring to your studded Bud & Lou's. Is that what you're still running in icy conditions like these? Are you still going with studded middle knobs? I've got a pair of studded Bud & Lou's, too, with the middle knobs studded. But I see so many photos online that seem to show riders not choosing to stud that middle row (independent of the tire being used). Without any ice around to test on, it's been hard deciding if it's best keeping that middle row studded. Any thoughts?

Kaleidopete

Hi, Pete. I saw a post of yours on mtbr.com referring to your studded Bud & Lou's. Is that what you're still running in icy conditions like these? Are you still going with studded middle knobs? I've got a pair of studded Bud & Lou's, too, with the middle knobs studded. But I see so many photos online that seem to show riders not choosing to stud that middle row (independent of the tire being used). Without any ice around to test on, it's been hard deciding if it's best keeping that middle row studded. Any thoughts?
I rode my new bike today with Cakeater 2.8 studded tires that only have studs on the outer lugs and they worked fine on glare ice.
My Fatty still has the Bud & Lou that I studded the crap out of, I like them too. My cakeaters without the center studded might work
well because I'm running 15psi, whis is pretty low for a 2.8. I plan on keeping my middle row studded on my Fatty.

FitmanNJ

I rode my new bike today with Cakeater 2.8 studded tires that only have studs on the outer lugs and they worked fine on glare ice.
My Fatty still has the Bud & Lou that I studded the crap out of, I like them too. My cakeaters without the center studded might work
well because I'm running 15psi, whis is pretty low for a 2.8. I plan on keeping my middle row studded on my Fatty.
Thanks, Pete. I think, then, I’ll go with my setup “as is,” and see how it goes. I’ve heard that narrower tires work the best on glare ice, but I only have the fatty wheels/tires.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Mint conditions today. A little crunchy here and there and some icy spots but rideable everywhere.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
With thanks to @Kaleidopete for the 411, I hit up Wawayanda for some ice riding and was not disappointed. The northern trails had a decent amount of ice. Double Pond, Lauren Pond and Banker were great and studs were a must on most sections of these trails. Plymouth still had some snow too. Rode the lake a bit as well.
4798DC6B-4EED-4D60-BD8B-9AD9F944072B.jpeg

43402A1A-E381-4253-91AB-64B24C079B28.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Very slippery 3.5 inches of snow today. I got to practice my Superman dismount.
It was 1° this morning. Pretty hard pedaling in this slippery stuff.

huffster

Any updates on trail conditions? I've seen some pics of the ice flows on the wider fire roads. But, wondering if the single-track "out back" might be ride-able Saturday morning. Thanks in advance.

Kaleidopete

About 3 inches of snow this morning, slippery as hell, but rideable. The park is closed, but will open as soon as they plow the road,
which they are doing right now. I had fun on the trails, except for the tree trim which was needed to continue. And the snow nap I
had on the slippery road.

Dsc02133.jpg

Dsc02131.jpg

Dsc02132.jpg

FitmanNJ

About 3 inches of snow this morning, slippery as hell, but rideable. The park is closed, but will open as soon as they plow the road,
which they are doing right now. I had fun on the trails, except for the tree trim which was needed to continue. And the snow nap I
had on the slippery road.

View attachment 88962

View attachment 88960

View attachment 88961
Pete, did you have studs on the tires you were riding today? If not, do you think they would have helped? I'm wondering if the slippery conditions were from a layer of ice below the recent snowfall, and that studs might not make a difference/be able to bite-in under those conditions??

Studded Bud/Lou have served me well until now as the icy areas have been exposed, allowing the studs to do their job.

Kaleidopete

Pete, did you have studs on the tires you were riding today? If not, do you think they would have helped? I'm wondering if the slippery conditions are from a layer of ice below the recent snowfall, and that studs might not make a difference/be able to bite-in under those conditions?? Studded Bud/Lou have served me well until now as the icy areas have been exposed, allowing the studs to do their job.
You got it! Exactly right. My studded Bud & Lou let me down, literally.
I thought the snow would be deep enough that I wouldn't hit the ice under. The snow itself was very slippery too though.

FitmanNJ

You got it! Exactly right. My studded Bud & Lou let me down, literally.
I thought the snow would be deep enough that I wouldn't hit the ice under. The snow itself was very slippery too though.
Thanks, Pete. I've been mentioning to friends lately that the studded tires are a real confidence/safety booster during the winter, but when the conditions are snow-over-ice, you have to be sure to ride especially defensively!

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Pete, after today’s above 35 temps think it’ll be slushy and heavy tomorrow? I’m thinking of a ride from noon to 3 or so before the next storm.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions