Wawayanda State Park Conditions

huffster

The single track trails are pretty decent. The usual wet spots are even wetter than usual. For example, Double Pond is not passable coming from Plymouth toward Campgrounds. There is another usual soft area on Hofferlin that is a bit of a mud pit. I’m sure the rocky trails in the southern end are good, where it’s more rocky, I know the roads like Old Wawayanda Rd up north have massive puddles.

Kaleidopete

I rode Pumphouse trail today and it looks great.
One obstacle is a tree across the trail East of the rock bridge.

Pumph sept07.jpg
Pumph sept08.jpg
Pumph sept09.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode Pumphouse trail today and it looks great.
One obstacle is a tree across the trail East of the rock bridge.

View attachment 76427View attachment 76428View attachment 76429
I'm surprised we didn't run into you, me, 6er and Utah did most of BS50 loop. At top of rattlesnake we jumped over to pines to avoid the wet road section. The growth by power lines was out of control. After pines we jumped on gravity to hemlock, then cherry ridge rd to cars.

onetracker

We have had a couple of guys out of comission this season due to life and health issues.

Trail maintenance will happen over the next couple of weeks (and through the fall) including cutting back the over growth and the needed chainsaw work. With all of the rain, it has been hard to keep the vegetation in check.

The Bearscat will go off as planned. Most of the BS50 trails do not hold water like some of the other trails pictured earlier in this thread. I will post some more info about the BS50 in the events thread ASAP.

Kaleidopete

funny how trail maintenance happens before races.
Maintenance happens all the time. For instance, the day before Bearscat the trails were all good,
then a tree came down across Pumphouse at the last minute before the race. It was promptly removed.
With over 60 miles of trails there is a lot to keep up with. Just last week (Friday) a tree came down across
Hoeferlin trail. Friday I reported it to the park. They will remove it this week I was told. If you see something,
say something, either on the forum or to the park office. There isn't a park person checking all the trails on a daily basis.:)

Will

Maintenance happens all the time. For instance, the day before Bearscat the trails were all good,
then a tree came down across Pumphouse at the last minute before the race. It was promptly removed.
With over 60 miles of trails there is a lot to keep up with. Just last week (Friday) a tree came down across
Hoeferlin trail. Friday I reported it to the park. They will remove it this week I was told. If you see something,
say something, either on the forum or to the park office. There isn't a park person checking all the trails on a daily basis.:)
it is what it is, the only major trail maintenance this year occurred before the two races, there is no denying that. there was a tree down on splitrock reported by everyone here and to the office and it sat there for months, so no TM doesn't occur all the time. if I was allowed to bring a chainsaw in, I wouldn't have mentioned anything here, I would have cut the tree out, but I'm not allowed.

Will

it is what it is, the only major trail maintenance this year occurred before the two races, there is no denying that. there was a tree down on splitrock reported by everyone here and to the office and it sat there for months, so no TM doesn't occur all the time. if I was allowed to bring a chainsaw in, I wouldn't have mentioned anything here, I would have cut the tree out, but I'm not allowed.
and go through the posts here, red dot was impassible for most of the summer. not blaming anyone but big trail maintenance, where trees need chainsawing, rarely occurs at waway

onetracker

It is true that Black Bear Cycling had a tough time keeping up with TM at Wayway this season. A couple of key guys (including myself) were distracted by major life events.

However, we are a volunteer organization that does our best job given limited resources.

Your observation is a bit skewed; we typically do most of our TM early spring, fall and winter. Many of us have a hectic summer season in general. Races are like taking a final exam; good to cram TM for events which is human nature.

So if you think that trails need TM, join us for TM or head out yourself and help out. The only exception is chainsaw work. We need only certified sawyers out doing the heavy tree removal for safety reasons.

Illegal trails like Split Rock are a grey area. As of now, Black Bear Cycling is not maintaining the unsanctioned trails off of Ferber Circle. Not sure what the future holds for our involvement with those trails.

sundaydoug

So if you think that trails need TM, join us for TM or head out yourself and help out.

This. I live right next to Wawayanda and ride with a folding saw in the pack. Most rides I stop at least once to take care of something. Granted it's not a chainsaw, but I've cut up to 8"-ish fallen trees with it.

If people are going to complain on the internet about trail maintenance (I mean actually complain, in lieu of simply indicating spots where trail maintenance is needed) then they should go ride somewhere else.

JohnnyWestood

I would love to participate in some supervised trail maintenance at Waywayanda. I have no experience so I am reluctant to just start whacking away on my own. That’s my favorite place to ride so only fitting that I help out. If there’s a way to make it happen let me know!

Will

It is true that Black Bear Cycling had a tough time keeping up with TM at Wayway this season. A couple of key guys (including myself) were distracted by major life events.

However, we are a volunteer organization that does our best job given limited resources.

Your observation is a bit skewed; we typically do most of our TM early spring, fall and winter. Many of us have a hectic summer season in general. Races are like taking a final exam; good to cram TM for events which is human nature.

So if you think that trails need TM, join us for TM or head out yourself and help out. The only exception is chainsaw work. We need only certified sawyers out doing the heavy tree removal for safety reasons.

Illegal trails like Split Rock are a grey area. As of now, Black Bear Cycling is not maintaining the unsanctioned trails off of Ferber Circle. Not sure what the future holds for our involvement with those trails.[/QUO
nothing skewed about it. major maintenance this year was done only just prior to races. also, post your races at Ferber. times, trails used etc. so people parking at ferber know there is a race going on and what trails to avoid on race days.

onetracker

Please feel to pick up some hand tools and clip back some vegetation or clear some small tree limbs if you feel strongly about this issue and the park.

If you are already helping out; thanks for the support.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions