Wawayanda State Park Conditions

avc8130

I have been seeing bears a lot on pumphouse. Specifically on the long stretch where you can see the houses before turning up towards cherry ridge. Had a cub drop out of a tree about 25 feet in front of me this afternoon.

Is pumphouse REALLY "hiking only"?

Kaleidopete

Attachments

• Bike course scat15.jpg
    Bike course scat15.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 138

avc8130

Well, we never made it over to that side of the park. We parked off a back road by Canistear. Here is the route we took:

Cherry Ridge
Turkey Ridge
Tombstone
Rattlesnake
Turkey Ridge
Buddha
Split Rock
Wall
Mojo Swamp
Cherry Ridge
White Dot
Cherry Ridge

My watch said ~8.5 miles. I'd never ridden any of those trails before and they certainly did not disappoint!

ac

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FYI, you can get water at Project U.S.E. If you are coming out of Waway on Old Coal headed to Clinton Rd, there is a building on your left that has a hand pump outside. It dispenses ice cold water :)

Blair

FYI, you can get water at Project U.S.E. If you are coming out of Waway on Old Coal headed to Clinton Rd, there is a building on your left that has a hand pump outside. It dispenses ice cold water :)
and in the ranger's station at the main entrance, a real bathroom ain't bad either.

trekfan

If you're interested in my personal updates to trail / mile information from my GPS, here it is.

View attachment 36573

heh that list reminds me that i still have yet to find kisok or thirsty dog trails. i think i stumbled upon thirsty dog once, but i haven't been able to find it since. it's the one that just stops and you have to double back if i recall...

regarding trail conditions, there's an annoying tree down after the main climb on red dot just after the first descent. small-ish tree, but lots of branches. there's a larger one down on turkey ridge just before the pines intersection if you're coming downhill. also, the damn thorns on top of pines are starting to show themselves...

Kaleidopete

Thanks @trekfan, I went and checked out Red Dot trail this morning. I brought my small hand saw, it ain't "small-ish".
I trimmed the branches away and did what I could, but it's too big for my saw. The trail is still rideable / walkable because there is a pretty good ride around / walk around spot for this tree. I also reported it to the Park. When they get to it is another thing.
When I first started out I said good morning to the obligatory Bear peeking over a boulder. Blurry photo.
Bear Double Pond04.jpg

The tree before.
Red Dot trees01.jpg

After

Red Dot trees02.jpg

trekfan

that's a new one from the storm yesterday. the one i was talking about is about a quarter mile further along. so now there are two trees down on red dot. good news is that after my ride today i can declare red dot, mojo, hemlock, south end and pumphouse to be clear other than that

Last edited:

DownhillR3

Trail Report for this weekend, full of Joey's from the city leaving trash everywhere. May end up in the middle of trails, unknowingly.

chris12453

If you are riding Iron Mountain, be aware there are a couple of bears floating around. They didn't seem afraid of my bike and began approaching me the other day when I was riding. Might be time to bring an air horn of something with me. Possibly my nice and loud ratcheting rear hub might help as well now.

greeek32

i'm surprised the rangers and DEC haven't started spraying the bears there. With so many visitors leaving trash and food everywhere it is only a matter of time until we have another Ramapo mountain situation where the park gets closed and "suspect" bears are eliminated due to bears no longer being afraid of people. It's going to be unfortunate.

chris12453

I actually just got back from riding in Wayway. Didn't see a single ranger besides the four sitting in their trucks in the upper lot talking to one another. Must be a typical day for them as they are always there.

jimf

Bit of bad news to report, seems like there is a person or people actively trying to sabotage the trails here. I was hoping I was being paranoid, but my ride on Timber(Between Cherry Ridge and southend trail) yesterday confirmed that someone is placing rocks and sticks in the center of the trail. I came across no less than 20 pairs of sticks (derailleur and spoke destroying sized ones) placed in an X dead center of the trail. I cleaned all of them off and will be going out again shortly and will post back what, if anything, I find.

IMG_8251.JPG

Posting this pic I realize I could have taken a better shot but this is the only one I took. It was too many, in too neat of an X to be deadfall from the rain.

avc8130

Bit of bad news to report, seems like there is a person or people actively trying to sabotage the trails here. I was hoping I was being paranoid, but my ride on Timber(Between Cherry Ridge and southend trail) yesterday confirmed that someone is placing rocks and sticks in the center of the trail. I came across no less than 20 pairs of sticks (derailleur and spoke destroying sized ones) placed in an X dead center of the trail. I cleaned all of them off and will be going out again shortly and will post back what, if anything, I find.

View attachment 37278

Posting this pic I realize I could have taken a better shot but this is the only one I took. It was too many, in too neat of an X to be deadfall from the rain.

You know, it's interesting that you bring this up. The last time I rode there I picked up a stick in my rear spokes and twerked my derailleur pretty bad. I thought it was unlucky happenstance, but now you have me wondering...

ac

trekfan

i think we're in the part of the season where things start dragging a little. multiple trails with large trees down (think ones you have to climb over rather than bring a handsaw and have at it) on Red Dot, Banker, Turkey Ridge, Old Coal. Poison ivy starting to creep into the trail on red dot, and the thorns are out in full force on pines. got multiple leg rashes from the ivy on RD and then was rewarded with good loss of blood on pines. i've been reporting all this to the ranger's office, but i guess with the huge crowds (it's been at capacity every weekend for 3 weeks now) they don't have time for maintenance.

one (sort of) funny thing: it's been fascinating to watch the ongoing trail maintenance battle on mojo. someone cut a very brief shortcut a little past the entrance to mojo (from red dot). not sure why they did it or what the purpose was, but people have been putting branches there to block this unsanctioned path. the shortcut ppl remove them, then they get put back, then removed, etc. hoping the shortcut gets erased as it serves no purpose at all, but it's fun to watch the back and forth regardless

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions