Wawayanda State Park Conditions

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
i hope they take their time working on the bridge. it will make our rides much nicer without all the shouts and cursing from the commuters. TTC clinton road rides every Friday evening and Wednesday is ladies night. new members welcome.
www.teamtowncycle.com

Kaleidopete

...........and speaking of ladies..........I rode Pumphouse today and as I was HAB through the rockiest rock garden I hear a rattle rattle about a foot behind me. A female.......riding like I wish I could! I wish she would've yelled out an "on your right", or something, I'd have gotten out of her way, though she didn't need it, she just rode past me and through the garden and up the hill. I saw her two times after that today on two other trails. Wow, what a rider! Smiling the whole time. I was really impressed because I always ride alone and because I stink!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
...........and speaking of ladies..........I rode Pumphouse today and as I was HAB through the rockiest rock garden I hear a rattle rattle about a foot behind me. A female.......riding like I wish I could! I wish she would've yelled out an "on your right", or something, I'd have gotten out of her way, though she didn't need it, she just rode past me and through the garden and up the hill. I saw her two times after that today on two other trails. Wow, what a rider! Smiling the whole time. I was really impressed because I always ride alone and because I stink!

Laura was up there today (lifted from her fb)
she is racing sea otter this w/e.

12993483_887665591379347_6873146218713413652_n.jpg

trekfan

NO! From 23 it will let you go to Van Ordan rd. (about 1 mile) and then detour you through West Milford town center, and follow detour around to Warwick Tpk. You're better off just taking the main roads to West Milford in the first place.
It is just that 7 mile mid section of Clinton Rd that is closed.
You can only get to parking on Cherry Ridge Rd by taking Warwick Tpk, and The North end of Clinton Rd.

wow thanks for the heads up. sounds like a disaster. hopefully they get it all sorted out before i need to use that entrance (busy weekends when the damn main entrances are closed to capacity)

Kaleidopete

Memorial Day @ Wawayana. The rain kept everyone away. The trails are great, even with the rain, they drain well.
I did my 9 mile ride. I was the only car in the lot for the 2 hours I was there.

memorial day.jpg

Last edited:

huffster

Glad to hear you are back on 2 wheels again. I did go find that bridge you posted the other day this past Saturday. Popped out to the road over there and rode past your house for a second before doubling back into the woods. At least I'm fairly sure it was your house based on the exact match for your avatar being in the yard. Nice to be that close to such great trails.

Kaleidopete

Glad to hear you are back on 2 wheels again. I did go find that bridge you posted the other day this past Saturday. Popped out to the road over there and rode past your house for a second before doubling back into the woods. At least I'm fairly sure it was your house based on the exact match for your avatar being in the yard. Nice to be that close to such great trails.
Glad ya found the new bridge. You saw my painted bowling balls in the yard. Yeah, these unmarked trails are a cool entrance into the park.

Kaleidopete

One more thing to report on. Watch out for egg laying turtles on the trails! Today I saw a LARGE snapping turtle laying eggs right in the middle of Iron Mountain Trail where it's also the Appellation Trail. On other trails were one Musk turtle and three Paint turtles also laying eggs. That's all within 8.5 miles. Oh, one more thing I almost ran into a bear while on the road from the furnace. I was crankin' full speed and it came out of the woods 20 feet in front of me and ran across the road into the woods. It stopped and looked at me like WTF!

jimf

One more thing to report on. Watch out for egg laying turtles on the trails! Today I saw a LARGE snapping turtle laying eggs right in the middle of Iron Mountain Trail where it's also the Appellation Trail. On other trails were one Musk turtle and three Paint turtles also laying eggs. That's all within 8.5 miles. Oh, one more thing I almost ran into a bear while on the road from the furnace. I was crankin' full speed and it came out of the woods 20 feet in front of me and ran across the road into the woods. It stopped and looked at me like WTF!

First, sorry for missing the group ride. I completely forgot and went out really early, hope to make the next one.

Bears are out in force, I went for a short loop last week and ran into three bears. One right near the Ranger station about 1000 feet into the woods as it turns up(that one was close to the trail, spooked me) the second on the double track past the wooden bridges going up red dot before it turns to single track, then another after the fun roller coaster section of red dot on the turn down twin bridges(heading back down toward the furnace)

trekfan

is there some upcoming race here? saw lots of arrow signs all over the place on yesterday's ride

edit: nevermind. bearscat 50 on sunday

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anybody know if there is someplace at Waway to refill a camelbak with water? Maybe over by the bathrooms/boat house?

chris12453

I have been seeing bears a lot on pumphouse. Specifically on the long stretch where you can see the houses before turning up towards cherry ridge. Had a cub drop out of a tree about 25 feet in front of me this afternoon.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The beach house has running water.
If you're by Cherry Ridge / Banker trail you could stop at my house!
Pete

Thanks Pete! If all goes according to plan, I should be around Waway in the early afternoon on Saturday. I should only need a water refill, but I'll message you if I have problems or need anything else.

Kaleidopete

Thanks Pete! If all goes according to plan, I should be around Waway in the early afternoon on Saturday. I should only need a water refill, but I'll message you if I have problems or need anything else.
Hey Jim, sorry I won't be around Saturday, I'm going to ride the Columbia Trail in Chester, NJ http://tlc-nj.org/ride/
You're welcome to stop by my house anytime, for water or repairs or anything else. Huffster knows how to get here, I'm only about 1/2 mile off the Banker trail. Unfortunately I won't be around Saturday though. Even if I'm not here anyone is welcome to stop by for water.

Last edited:

avc8130

Thinking about riding Wayway tomorrow morning. Does anyone have a suggested ~12 mile route of "must hits"?

ac

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions