Wawayanda State Park Conditions

What a great day! 72°. The trails in WayWay are in great shape!
Such a nice day I decided to take my bike for a walk.
7.5 miles heart rate average 144 bpm, maximum 171 bpm moving time 70 min.
Red Dot trail and Sitting Bear trail. Kicked my butt

Last edited:
What a great day! 72°. The trails in WayWay are in great shape!
Such a nice day I decided to take my bike for a walk.
7.5 miles heart rate average 144 bpm, maximum 171 bpm moving time 70 min.
Red Dot trail and Sitting Bear trail. Kicked my butt

I'll let you know when I'm heading up there. Looks like a fun place and on my list to check off this year

Another great trail is Plymouth Lane. Off of either Double Pond or Banker. Give it a try sometime, it's a VERY interesting trail!
I think Black Bear Cycling built this trail, and they deserve to be punished for this.
Of coarse I went down like a sack of s#@* on this trail, but it was still worth it! I'll post the bruise in a day or so.
Plymouth_Bankr01.jpg

Plymouth_Bankr03.jpg

Plymouth_Bankr04.jpg

Last edited:
Is anybody else disappointed by the futile effort made to improve the Laurel Pond Trail? They brought in yards of gravel only to have it wash away because appropriate water mitigation measures were not implemented beforehand.

Is anybody else disappointed by the futile effort made to improve the Laurel Pond Trail? They brought in yards of gravel only to have it wash away because appropriate water mitigation measures were not implemented beforehand.

Agreed. In the end, its got quite a bit of wash-out and isn't really much different than it was beforehand.

Agreed! This is a terrible job done by the Forestry Dept. They know about it but don't seem to care about fixing it.

No snow to worry about

Thanks Pete. Its funny you said "No snow to worry about", since I was actually hoping there might have been a little more. The snow we had was a dusting as well and it was melted by noon. I did not end up going to Waway today, but instead went to explore a connection I am trying to make up in northern Sterling Forest. It was "somewhat successful". I found some things that were useful but I also had a brutal hike-a-bike section (<never to be repeated).

I rode in about 11 on Sunday Pete, so it wasn't me you saw. I did cross paths with some dude on a Farley where Pickle and White meet,and a group of three passed me on pump house as I was heading out to Cherry Ridge Road to ride back home. I did pass a hiker on way up Turkey Ridge on the way up to Tombstone..was that you? Far as Laurel Pond goes...yeah..it's a mess..they wasted their efforts, but personally I kinda like it that way..least going down..

Hit Waway this afternoon and during the week, covered most of the good stuff between the two days. The good news is the place is dry, even after the rain this morning . Wind really dried the place out but that leads to the bad news. There are quite a few trees down as well as lots of drive train destroying sticks and branches all over the place because of all the wind the past week.

The downed trees are as follows; Black eagle has one right at the peak of a little punchy climb near the end of the trail on the road side(I think this has been there for a bit) Hof has one that I recall(there might have been another but I forget now) that blocks access to the off camber low rock garden right before the usually muddy wide section that was actually dry today when heading toward double pond. Red dot has one right before the split to twin bridges and another on the climb up after the split(coming from double pond). Sitting bear has a big one right in the beginning from the wingdam side. Hemlock has one about halfway thru and there is one down on tombstone, I think. I am pretty sure there was something down on pumphouse and southend(between pumphouse and timber) but these were passable or I may have imagined them.

Rock bridge on pumphouse looks like there was some work put into it recently and looks the best and most rideable it has, maybe ever. The low section on old coal is a mess and close to impassable but I think its been that way for some time. Most of the places that stay wet were in good shape, double pond was tacky with no mudholes. It should be able to deal with tonights rain/snow without too much trouble and remain ridable again tomorrow.

Thanks for the tree report. I knew of a few of these and I'm sure after this wind there will be more. Just report back any additional trees downed and we will add it to the list.

Notice: Clinton Rd is closed from Rt 23 to Warwick Tpk until early May.
You can still access Cherry Ridge Rd parking area from Warwick Tpk. via Clinton Rd.
It will say local traffic only.

Notice: Clinton Rd is closed from Rt 23 to Warwick Tpk until early May.
You can still access Cherry Ridge Rd parking area from Warwick Tpk. via Clinton Rd.
It will say local traffic only.

so from 23 i'll see signs that it's closed except for local traffic only but i can still go through to get to the parking area? sorry, not sure i understood your post

so from 23 i'll see signs that it's closed except for local traffic only but i can still go through to get to the parking area? sorry, not sure i understood your post
NO! From 23 it will let you go to Van Ordan rd. (about 1 mile) and then detour you through West Milford town center, and follow detour around to Warwick Tpk. You're better off just taking the main roads to West Milford in the first place.
It is just that 7 mile mid section of Clinton Rd that is closed.
You can only get to parking on Cherry Ridge Rd by taking Warwick Tpk, and The North end of Clinton Rd.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions