Wawayanda Down Trees - Intel? Crowd Sourcing Your Observations...

onetracker

We know there will be a ton of trees down at Wayway from the past two snow/wind storms plus the normal winter downfall. If you are out on the trails at Wawayanda and notice trees blocking the trails, please post up the following info so we can remediate ASAP:

1. Trail Name and any other close landmark (e.g. intersection, lake, bridge, etc)?
2. Does the situtation require a hand saw or power saw?
3. Post a photo if possible

Thanks in advance. We will be out doing inventory but your eyes and posts will help expedite the process!

Kaleidopete

Wingdam, just before the dam.
3_4.jpg

Laurel trail just before Cherry ridge, tree blocking. sorry no photo, some are going around it.
Iron Mountain to Wawayanda rd. loop is good, nothing down.

huffster

You can check my ride on Strava if you'd like: https://www.strava.com/activities/1452900674
Most of this ride is clear except what I show below and in the subsequent posts. There were some "face-slappers". I removed some by hand. Some others will spring back, once the snow melts.

This one is on Laurel Pond about 1/10th of a mile from the intersection with Cherry Ridge. The snowmobiles routed around it. Right near it there is another rather large tree perched high overhead. No pic, but you can see it in the distant background. That one does not interfere with the trail, but should get a look for safety issues.

IMG_0539[1].JPG

Last edited:

huffster

This is on Cherry Ridge about 1/2 way between lower White Dot and Timber. You can ride under/around it, but its hanging in the middle of the trail. The break is up pretty high. It might be able to be cut off lower and the rest would at least dangle "off-trail".
IMG_0540[1].JPG

huffster

These are right at the intersection of Timber and Cherry Ridge. The first is on Cherry Ridge and someone cut away the branches so you can go under it. The 2nd one is blocking the actual entry to Timber. There are a couple other trees (not pictured) encroaching on Cherry Ridge right in that same area.
IMG_0541[1].JPG

IMG_0542[1].JPG

Last edited:

onetracker

Really good info. Please keep the info rolling in. We have some work to do! BTW - How were the riding conditions? Thanks so much!

Kaleidopete

Snowmobile tracks are pretty good riding.
Where hikers postholed it's pretty bumpy riding.
Fresh trails, give it up! too deep with crusty top

huffster

^ I 100% agree with this. I was actually surprised that the sleds had not gone some places yet since latest storm. For example, there are usually tracks going out Double Pond from the furnace. None yet as of yesterday. Similarly, when I reached the south end of Terrace Pond, the sleds only went right. None to the left on Cherry Ridge yet.

onetracker

We have been in cutting some larger trees via snowshoes but many branches are frozen to the ground so when you visit Wayway, please be a good trail steward and clear these branches off the trail when you are hiking or riding. Thanks in advance.

Also, please keep the Intel coming our way!

BTW - I see many folks desperate to ride. Ditch the mountain bike and go snowshoe (or XC ski) at Wayway; killer conditions; killer workout. Or hit the road bike; it is going to be some time until the trails up in the North and West are free of snow and mud (and not prone to trail damage).

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Cherry Ridge south of Laurel trail, before Twin Bridges
cherry74.jpg

Old Coal at Cherry Ridge
Old Coal75.jpg

Red Dot at Cherry Ridge. Could just be a ride over, but I'm showing you what's there.
Red Dot76.jpg

huffster

Spending all my time at Sterling lately cleaning up. Now I feel like I'm neglecting Wawayanda.

Thanks for the work your doing!

huffster

I may slow roll some south side trails from Ferber this weekend and will let you know if there is chainsaw work needed.

huffster

I spent 2.5 hours on Saturday clearing 1/2 mile of “The Wall” starting at Ferber circle. Today, I spent a couple more hours and cleared the remainder of the same trail out to Cherry Ridge. It is passable but there are 2 trees needing chainsaw.

This one is 0.9 miles in from Ferber and is just a few inches off the ground so it’s kind of annoying but pretty easy to get past for the time being
AB1C7C6F-1017-40DC-9403-73A85CCDF1B4.jpeg

This one is another 0.4 miles in and it is just as you come out of a pine grove and cross over the rock wall. It is on the trail. I cleared the area to the right of it so you can go around it and re-take the trail pretty easily. Quite frankly, if it was left down the trail will reroute in no time.
34AA20CD-A20F-4679-8760-E5BD95A452EF.jpeg

Everything else was done by hand or with pruners and handsaw.

Bottom line, this trail can be ridden now!

Kaleidopete

William Hoeferlin South from ranger station, before Black Eagle has two trees across trail. this is one spot.
whtree.jpg

The other is just a medium tree across trail

Kaleidopete

Banker Trail has blowdowns between Cherry Ridge and the crazy left turn about 1/2 mile off Cherry Ridge, right around that big wet spot.
Otherwise Banker is good all the way past Plymouth and the farm. It's just that one 1/2 mile from Cherry Ridge.

multiple trees down
Banker treedown09.jpg
Banker treedown08.jpg

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
Is that first pic between cherry ridge and cedar swamp? I rode banker the other night from Plymouth and only saw the second pic tree otherwise it was clear from Plymouth to cedar swamp

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions