Watchung Reservation Trail Building

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The day has come, 14 miles of new trails has been approved for mountain biking in Watchung Reservation. Through the persistent efforts of Jamie M., Andrew S. and Ken at Jorba , it will now be possible to legally mountain bike in the Reservation.

We need your help as volunteers to be a part of installing new trails in the Reservation. Our first trail building session will be January 14-15, we are offering two 3-hour sessions both Saturday and Sunday. Sessions will run 9a-12p and 1p-4p each day. Feel free to sign up for more than one (or all) sessions. We will be meeting and working in the area south of Skytop Drive (Park at Skytop Picnic Area).

Please sign up here: https://www.volunteersignup.org/7LREQ

Three things to note:
1. You will need to sign two waivers when you arrive: A Union County Waiver and a JORBA waiver. If you are under 18 you will need a parent/guardian to sign.

2. You do not need to be a JORBA member to volunteer, however, if you ARE a JORBA member, you are covered under the JORBA insurance policy, and you get cool JORBA swag. So we highly recommend you join at: join.jorba.org

3. Tools will be provided.

Thanks and see you out there!

Last edited:

qclabrat

Wahoo, I was there last weekend scoping out the area, very exciting indeed, can only do an hour or two due to other volunteer commitments, but signed up

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Some important points regarding this trail build:

- Union County is completely in charge and responsible for the project. Our volunteers are working under their guidance and permission.

- The trails will not open until the project is completed. Please respect other user groups and continue to ride elsewhere until this MTB only trail is finished.

I can not tell you how impressed I am with the response from Union County officials in this process, the dedication and passion of the local crew, and the three leaders we have appointed to oversee JORBA's Union County Chapter.

Thank you, and please, surf to www.join.jorba.org

Our voice is stronger each time someone joins or renews. Advocacy takes patience, people and funds.

We are currently holding well over 500 active members, with a social media reach of over 7 times that number. I would like to see 1000+ members in this oh-so-populous state.

I Ride Bikes

I'll probably be there for some. Do we need to sign up officially or can we just show? Also, I've never been here before. I'm assuming we're walking in. Just wondering how far in the work site is.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll probably be there for some. Do we need to sign up officially or can we just show? Also, I've never been here before. I'm assuming we're walking in. Just wondering how far in the work site is.
We would like folks to sign up officially however if you are unsure of your schedule then show up when you can. We are walking in, the work site is close to the parking area.

Shorepoints

Mark Stallone and his UC crew has already cleared out a good portion of the trail in this zone. We will be following his lead and doing the finer hand-work to make it ride-ready.
IMG_4766.JPG
IMG_4768.JPG
IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG
IMG_4771.JPG
IMG_4773.JPG

stilluf

I am personally thrilled that this is a reality. Much thanks to the County for following through!
Right now we have a lighter sign up for Saturday afternoon. If you have any availability please think about signing up then.
#makewatchunggreatagain

qclabrat

No worries, there will be many more volunteer opportunities at Watchung .

asked this a few months ago, does all 14 mikes of trails need to be finished before riders are allowed in officially? do the trails need to be "blessed" the county before they are opened?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
asked this a few months ago, does all 14 mikes of trails need to be finished before riders are allowed in officially? do the trails need to be "blessed" the county before they are opened?
- The trails will not open until the project is completed. Please respect other user groups and continue to ride elsewhere until this MTB only trail is finished.
- Union County is completely in charge and responsible for the project. Our volunteers are working under their guidance and permission.

Walter, this was a few posts up. See you on the trail:)

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Psyched on this since i live pretty close. Gonna try to make it out this weekend but not really sure of my schedule. I'm amazed trailwork is beginning so quickly.

Top Bottom