Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

thegock

Bruce says MTB causes environmental damage. Says WR is not underutilized. Saw Strava times 2/24/15 and another date.

Last edited:
I'm going to say they had their minds made up to deny access way before tonight, sadly anything said or presented really makes no difference. I'd guess the freeholders, like 20 years ago felt allowing access would cost them more votes so they took the safe route of just not changing anything. Politics unfortunately. Really saddened by this even though I live in Middlesex, just seems very unfair that those living near Watchung will probably never be able to enjoy cycling there. I guess time to just focus more energy on mtb friendly counties, Union obviously not being one of them.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
This is unbelievable. :shrug: Almost every other county in the state (and the rest of the country) has similar trails with MTB access.
See what you get when you play by the rules? :thumbsdown:

When do we revolt?:banana:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
This is sad. Have any of the FH's actually said what makes Watchung so unique that multi use won't work there when it works pretty much everywhere else? Have they actually seen what a seriously bad problem the reservation has with eroded, gullied, fall line trails (just like SoMo)? Have they taken the time to visit other parks where people who know how to build sustainable trails have worked their magic? Seems like a cop out vote. Shameful, really, and a huge disappointment especially for the locals. Thanks to everyone who gave this their all.

TheLonerider

Thanks to all who fought the ban, JORBA etc.

If CME doesn't give back the 20-something thousand they already approved for a mtb plan that's been killed its stealing. I'll be writing county watchers and state attny gen this weekend to ensure the county doesn't add stealing to lying.

I am not done. People get fucked by the gov't all the time -- I intend to fuck back!

Lonerider.

thegock

This is sad. Have any of the FH's actually said what makes Watchung so unique that multi use won't work there when it works pretty much everywhere else? Have they actually seen what a seriously bad problem the reservation has with eroded, gullied, fall line trails (just like SoMo)? Have they taken the time to visit other parks where people who know how to build sustainable trails have worked their magic? Seems like a cop out vote. Shameful, really, and a huge disappointment especially for the locals. Thanks to everyone who gave this their all.

The FH don't like conflict and the opposition won't share, or so they think...

The FH brought up the condition of the trails-they are aware.

I think Bergen's math was not necessarily correct regarding trail density at other parks, but I haven't checked.

A cop out as someone said I think is the right term here, not just mtb access but in all arenas it's simply easier to make a law banning something than finding a way to make it work. Anyone ever see the big NO.... sign at our beaches? Same idea, someone doesn't like something so we enact a law. Hopefully the mtb community has a strong enough foothold here in parks we are allowed in so we don't see a regression where places start banning bikes in more parks. I wouldn't doubt that the freeholders spoke to one another and planned the vote so it seemed there was some chance of access (the 3 that voted for mtb). I'd also guess those that already ride Watchung will continue to do so and hikers that encounter them will never know what it's like to encounter one of us that try to abide by the rules. I'm guessing there's no appeal to the decision but wonder how long before the question arises again and someone tries to take on the powers that be in UC and fights once gain for access? 10 years, 20 years, never?

rick81721

Lothar
Scared off by potential lawsuits? Sorry to hear
The FH don't like conflict and the opposition won't share, or so they think...

The FH brought up the condition of the trails-they are aware.

I think Bergen's math was not necessarily correct regarding trail density at other parks, but I haven't checked.

Bummer Tom, it was fun reading your play-by-play. Too bad it didn't work out. Think liability is their major concern or just an excuse?

Wow someone actually researched posted strava times and used it for opposition. I wont even get started on that.....
I actually saw Strava times for Allaire where someone claimed to ride UPHILL on a very tight trail section at 25+ mph. Strava definitely contains some false data, it's literally not possible to do some of the things people have claimed on there on an mtb, even if it had a motor just due to how twisty the trail is.

Top Bottom