Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

Piston Honda

If one were to be fined or have their bike confiscated, would they have a case in fighting it under the premise that the law/ordinance doesn't clearly apply to said violation?

TheLonerider

The sad part is the next generation of riders won't ever get to ride there (Watchung). At least we had until 95, and then Dec thru Aug of this past year when the signs were down.

TheLonerider

If one were to be fined or have their bike confiscated, would they have a case in fighting it under the premise that the law/ordinance doesn't clearly apply to said violation?
I'm not a lawyer but I have been involved in this for three years and am acquainted with the ordinance (which is from '83) and the ban on mtb (from 95, created a backroom). the trails are all marked on county maps as trails. The ordinance only talks of roads, sidewalks, paths, and not blocking cars.

If it was me, I'd point to a county map as ask the judge to name the road, sidewalk, or path I was on. Of course he wouldn't be able to... they are all marked as trails!

They might still find you guilty but they'd be forced to do it by admitting the ordinance doesn't mean what it says it does which it seems to me would make them look pretty silly.

There is also the argument could be made it is "arbitrary, capricious, and unreasonable", according to a lawyer I talked to.

BTW, according to an OPRA req re: enforcement I filed during Dec of '15, if I recall, they only admitted to giving one ticket up til that point in ten years, and it listed no ordinance, int he violation spot for the ordinance broken, the officer simply wrote "bike".

Last edited:

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I know at SM the few guys I talked to were only warned when they were caught, no action was taken. Who knows what would happen if they caught you a second time but like I said, I've seen a cop up there twice in 4 years.

Dingo

no really, good luck
It's hard for those who live and grew up in the area to have to turn their backs on the WR. There are endless places where I can volunteer my time and sweat, though really would have loved to create some world class trails at WR with the help of JORBA and the community.
Just so ya know. My family moved there in 1962 when i was 3 years old. I grew up on the mountain. It's what makes my blood boil to deny MTB.

TheLonerider

Sadly I hear at Watchung they have increased the police presence... cause, you know, they don't have enough actual criminals to catch...
Of course the risk to them is that at some point someone they ticket will stop playing along and point out the emperor is buck naked. There is not one part of the history of the mt bike ban at Watchung that isn't riddled with inconsistencies, contradictions and other suspicious stuff.

Lonerider

Dingo

I know at SM the few guys I talked to were only warned when they were caught, no action was taken. Who knows what would happen if they caught you a second time but like I said, I've seen a cop up there twice in 4 years.
Sadly I hear at Watchung they have increased the police presence... cause, you know, they don't have enough actual criminals to catch...
Of course the risk to them is that at some point someone they ticket will stop playing along and point out the emperor is buck naked. There is not one part of the history of the mt bike ban at Watchung that isn't riddled with inconsistencies, contradictions and other suspicious stuff.

Lonerider
They have way better crimes to bust. The drug dealings are off the chart there.

Dingo

I was caught riding there, $100 fine. Damn it, should have just kept pedaling my ass off. Too scared to go back. this was 15 yrs ago.

TheLonerider

But if it makes you feel any better the Essex Co freeholder chairman who presided over the so mountain ban's implementation in the 90s was later arrested on a 20 count corruption indictment...

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I was caught riding there, $100 fine. Damn it, should have just kept pedaling my ass off. Too scared to go back. this was 15 yrs ago.
Were they in the parking lot when you got back or did they get you on the trail? I've never seen any kind of enforcement on the trail.

TheLonerider

Were they in the parking lot when you got back or did they get you on the trail? I've never seen any kind of enforcement on the trail.
On the trail? Never seen that at any park! I can't picture cops mt biking, outside of pacific blue lol.

Though I hear at WR they use a big loud ATV sometimes...

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
On the trail? Never seen that at any park! I can't picture cops mt biking, outside of pacific blue lol.

Though I hear at WR they use a big loud ATV sometimes...
How awesome would that be to see a chase on the trail though, instead of the white bronco it's a white hardtail.

Dingo

We were on the upper trail crossing the open field near South Orange ave. A group of 6 or so. We saw the cop, and he saw us and bee lined it towards us, drove on the grass. Of course we all scattered like bugs! Cornered me and one other. He was pissed because we ran. wanted the names of the other riders, gonna take our bikes blah blah. Was really pissed at me because had no ID and I use a PO box on my DL. I had the DL memorized. That really got him..."who knows their DL number by heart, your fuckn with me Who lives in a PO box, it's illegal to have a DL with a PO box" Was glad he did not impound my then new Titus Switchblade. I did go back a few months later. Have not been back since.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Yeah, still have the Titus, retired with a cracked headtube, and still use a PO box on my DL.
My big fear is I'm not an experienced enough of a rider to take off from the cops and not kill myself,lol.
I work near 6m so it's not a big deal but it's also nice to ride close to home.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Please remember the officers are doing what they are told.
If they, or someone else gets hurt during a chase, it will not turn out well for anyone.

Top Bottom