Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

Should write the state, the DEP endorses mt biking, most other counties do... have them cut funds for counties that don't that would wake em up/

Hidden Valley would be a terrible spot IMO. If you could squeeze 4 miles in that place I'd be surprised. Not to mention it goes behind a bunch of houses that already have huge no trespassing signs all over. Gonna be another NIMBY situation. It's over, drive to Chimney Rock.

The Quarry is Decent but I'm sure someone will protest this idea.

across the street is Baltusrol, you think the uber rich will like that?

I live a mile from Lenape park, it's basically a wetland. It's flooded most of the time. Currently there is a raised paved road for trail users that makes its way to Black Brook Park in Kenilworth.

Several years ago they used to have trap and skeet shooting at Lenape but in typical Union County fashion it went away. Neighbors, who bought a house next to trap and skeet shooting, complained. Now, the hours of operation were only on wknds from 12-5 however Freeholders caved.

I can remember doing yard work and hearing the guns, I'd say to myself...well at least someone is having fun.

Union County is way too regulated. I believe New Hampshire's motto is live free or die. The motto of Union County is We are *******.

I live a mile from Lenape park, it's basically a wetland. It's flooded most of the time. Currently there is a raised paved road for trail users that makes its way to Black Brook Park in Kenilworth.

Several years ago they used to have trap and skeet shooting at Lenape but in typical Union County fashion it went away. Neighbors, who bought a house next to trap and skeet shooting, complained. Now, the hours of operation were only on wknds from 12-5 however Freeholders caved.

I can remember doing yard work and hearing the guns, I'd say to myself...well at least someone is having fun.

Union County is way too regulated. I believe New Hampshire's motto is live free or die. The motto of Union County is We are *******.

I used to work in Kenilworth and Union so drove through the Blvd every day for over 10 years. I do recall the raised banks to contain water next to the old skeet range. How is the north end, I see there's some elevation there. Found some topo maps and much of it sound like it could be wet lands.

Also forgot that there's a Conrail set of track which split Oak Ridge from Ashbrook, so likely no go either unless there's an entrance from Martine Ave in Scotch Plains. Pretty sure there's wetlands there as well but less than Lenape.

Looking at the topo maps in Union County the only open spaces with elevation are golf courses and cemeteries. If the FH agrees, we can repurpose nine holes from Galloping Hill. Done

So many golf courses!!!!
yeah, but most are private, Union County already closed down Oak Ridge when I lived around the corner from it about 15 years ago.
IMO Union county doesn't have too many public courses per capita, Tiger Woods' slide from grace really killed the sport and interest of casual golfers
Hyatt Hills in Clark may now be county/town owned (???)

I used to work in Kenilworth and Union so drove through the Blvd every day for over 10 years. I do recall the raised banks to contain water next to the old skeet range. How is the north end, I see there's some elevation there. Found some topo maps and much of it sound like it could be wet lands.

Also forgot that there's a Conrail set of track which split Oak Ridge from Ashbrook, so likely no go either unless there's an entrance from Martine Ave in Scotch Plains. Pretty sure there's wetlands there as well but less than Lenape.

Looking at the topo maps in Union County the only open spaces with elevation are golf courses and cemeteries. If the FH agrees, we can repurpose nine holes from Galloping Hill. Done

SWMP LAND

There's a hiking trail in Ashbrook. There's also a swamp there which makes things pretty moist no matter where you go in that area. If it wasn't for that, it wouldn't be a bad location.

Hidden Valley would be a terrible spot IMO. If you could squeeze 4 miles in that place I'd be surprised. Not to mention it goes behind a bunch of houses that already have huge no trespassing signs all over. Gonna be another NIMBY situation. It's over, drive to Chimney Rock.

Hidden Valley wouldn't be too bad. Yes it's small, however with some creativity it could be pretty decent. As much of the terrain as possible would need to be used.

Although giving up may seem like the way to go, it is that approach which will never lead to change. That seems to be the norm these days - people not willing to keep pushing and standing up for what they believe is right. There's no reason to give up, just fight harder.

Don't think Bal
Part of that Quarry land is owned by the town of Springfield I believe, there was some talk of putting a playing field up there a while ago but environmental issues need to be addressed. Baltusrol wouldn't care, nobody who belongs there even knows it's up there, I think they are building a parking lot for their staff across the street. The residents on Tree Top drive might care if it gets to close to them.

Hidden Valley wouldn't be too bad. Yes it's small, however with some creativity it could be pretty decent.

Hidden Valley/Houdaille quarry would be good for the NICA kids to practice.

Children should have a place to ride in their own county.Unless the horse owning children are better?

Hidden Valley wouldn't be too bad. Yes it's small, however with some creativity it could be pretty decent. As much of the terrain as possible would need to be used.

Although giving up may seem like the way to go, it is that approach which will never lead to change. That seems to be the norm these days - people not willing to keep pushing and standing up for what they believe is right. There's no reason to give up, just fight harder.
never been, but the overhead shots makes me think it would make a killer pump track
I guess 4 miles is better than no miles, count me in on the ground breaking, hope it happens in 2017 though
almost think we would want the FH to move fast while we have the sympathy vote on our side

upload_2017-5-25_13-6-4.png

Nassau Trails, which is pretty damn fun IMO, is located on 52.4 acres (according to this site). Hidden Valley is over 70 acres. Houdaille is similar. So while HV/HD pales in comparison to WR, I believe there is certainly potential to "get in the door" with a fun trail system at Hidden Valley and/or Houdaille.

Back
Top Bottom