Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

I didn't catch those Strava dates that Bruce cited in his remarks. Does anyone know the ride dates he mentioned? A guy that I was sitting with said one date was 2/24/15 and that the other date was also 2015.

Bruce said that the rider who posted on Strava had spoken last night. I am guessing that it wasn't one of the opposition, who were mostly over 75 years old. The speed was 29mph downhill? It doesn't seem plausible on dirt in the Reservation.

I wanted to write Bruce about this, not that it will matter, but I wanted to correct any wrong impression that the opposition managed to create with Strava. A valuable lesson for MTB advocacy.

#freewatchung
A lot of the Strava data gets skewed and mixed in with road riding times. I think its pretty difficult to explain that to the Freeholders though. They see high speeds that really only occur for a split second and I guess thats good enough for them. As far as the dates go riding in Watching was not a big deal from my perspective the County Police would wave hello to a rider mountain biking or Road biking.

A lot of the Strava data gets skewed and mixed in with road riding times. I think its pretty difficult to explain that to the Freeholders though. They see high speeds that really only occur for a split second and I guess thats good enough for them. As far as the dates go riding in Watching was not a big deal from my perspective the County Police would wave hello to a rider mountain biking or Road biking.

I am concerned that the bat $hi+ crazy opposition fed him the data. He may not understand the nuances of the software.

im amazed how many who post here arent even next-town close to WR, maybe if we had more people on here that were actually direct constituents of the FHs might it make a difference? it must've been easier to say no to a large state group rather than half the number of people who are actually in this district? such a sad outcome. i was joking/praying last jungle jam, that this year i would be playing/dj at watchung.

positive karma to all who put in all the effort!

On the CME thing it likely comes down to the actual agreement and scope of work that was contracted, and how much of it was actually done before the plug was pulled. If there's an agreement and a consultant begins work on it then they will get paid for that work performed. The contracts typically allow a client (the county) to kill the project and terminate the agreement at any time. A consultant typically goes along with it, because if you decide to sue your client you can pretty much guarantee no further work from that client.

I'm interested in the litigation that was previously mentioned.

I have been thinking on this long and hard.

The three freeholders who voted to keep their word and move forward with mountain biking deserve credit for their integrity, but for the others and as a whole, the Union County government had indeed proven itself no more trustworthy than in 1995.

What went wrong? It is simplistic to say people got angry at the idea of mountain biking there because they thought mountain bikers would damage the park or ruin its tranquility. That was indeed the sort of objection they raised – often taken to absurd levels, like one woman who thought we killed turtles, and another who was terrified we would track in an invasive seed – but the explanation goes deeper than that because this wasn’t really about mountain biking – it was about the ban.

The ban on mountain biking was imposed in a backroom by the unelected, with no documentation of a problem at Watchung, despite whatever anecdotes people subjectively remember, the point is they never documented A SINGLE INSTANCE of injury, conflict or damage. And the ban was done by misappropriating an old ordinance about "roads, sidewalks, paths, not blocking cars" that had nothing to do with mountain biking, and predated the ban by over a decade at the time, was never enforced against mt biking before 95, with no public input.

Those who opposed mountain biking access were not just opposing mountain biking at Watchung, they were supporting the ban. This by definition includes everything about it, including its suspicious history and the disgraceful methodology involved in its creation. In short, the opponents were not just against mountain biking – by opposing even a small challenge to the ban, like granting an exception to a handful of trails in one park, they were in favor of the misgovernment the ban entailed – and still does as long as it exists.

Unfortunately, so few seem to think in terms of basic principles that many probably never even thought about the issue except in terms of whether or not they liked the idea of mountain biking.

It didn’t help than many in government did not (and still will not) even acknowledge the history of what happened despite the fact that said history has been pieced together and ferreted out from their own statements and records in OPRA responses. Such a stance does not make for better understanding, to put it mildly – but it helps explain why so many people are against mountain biking, despite their own fallacious arguments, and why the government dragged its feet and then ultimately killed the mountain bike plan. The official line and false narrative it entails is conducive only to one view of mountain biking, and it is not positive.

Thanks to all who participated in the effort and may stay involved going forward. If nothing else we have made it easier for the next generation of riders to finish the fight. Thanks especially to Mr. Seebeck of Jorba and and our two resident gurus at the Union County jorba branch.

I was told early on in the effort by some local riders that we would never win. However I believed it important to try. Even now I do not see it as wasted effort. Maybe especially now. There are times when speaking the truth is all you can do -- and therefore all the more important that you do so.

Rock on, ride safe.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-- Malcolm Reynolds, "Firefly" (yeh I was a scifi geek growing up)

Last edited:
I am concerned that the bat $hi+ crazy opposition fed him the data. He may not understand the nuances of the software.
I agree the opposition did feed the data and of course they gave him the stuff that coincided with there claim we are all speeding around Watchung.

Here are my remarks from the meeting:

FH

5/18/17

I am a retired CPA living in Westfield. For 23 years, I have been paying high property taxes to support the Union County parks.

I first read about the plan for MTB access on July 6, 2014 in the Sunday Star Ledger. Because the Watchung Reservation is a piece of land worth $2.4 billion, its use is clearly a material decision. Further, many sections of the Watchung Reservation were acquired with Green Acres funding, the use of which land is governed by regulations that encourage access for all.

I ride my mountain bike on trails in New Jersey for exercise and recreation. My background is in road riding, but in the last five years two friends of mine have survived tragic negligence of drivers only to have spinal cord injuries. This has influenced me to MTB. To ride legal trails, I must drive a minimum of over 28 miles round trip to Chimney Rock Park in Somerset County. This contrasts with a distance of only two miles over which I can easily ride my bike to access the Watchung Reservation trails, should they be open to mountain bikes.

It perplexes me that a wealthy elite, supported by $2.3 million of Union County tax dollars for an indoor riding rink, may use the trails of the Watchung Reservation for horseback riding, while I am not permitted to ride my old bike there.

The trails are not crowded. I haven’t had a problem getting a parking space there in the last five decades. I am in the Watchung Reservation hiking every week for up to two hours and often see not a single other user on the trails on the average once a week. This includes one Saturday afternoon, when I saw no one when I was there hiking on the White trail for an hour. Usually, I will see two other people on the trails in two hours as I did this morning. When I arrived, the Tower parking lot was empty and when I left only one other car was in the lot, the capacity of which is over 20.

I also saw one red fox today.

Mountain biking is not a crime. The Union County Police need to focus on terrorism and criminals committing violent felonies not wasting time on this. In the two week “ticket blitz” in October of 2016, the police issued five $30 summons. The cost to pay, care for and equip the officers involved was over $20,000. Does this make economic sense? How about for the long term?

The Mountain Biking community is very diverse and inclusive of all ages, races, nationalities and social strata. In the past year, I have ridden with people of many ages, colors and languages. At the last FH meeting a twelve year old girl spoke at this very podium asking that she could ride the Watchung trails with her family.

I don’t see this type of diversity in an older, more wealthy opposition who will say anything, whether true or not, to avoid sharing.

" amazed how many who post here arent even next-town close to WR, maybe if we had more people on here that were actually direct constituents of the FHs might it make a difference?"

I live within 5 miles and have ridden my bike to watchung even tho its uphill both ways, i also drive thru there everyday coming home from work, took a bike and change of clothes and was riding there daily when the signs were down (but not anymore since august since I was trying to "play by the rules".

There is even a guy running for town council in my town of Berkeley hts who wanted access.

Plenty of locals want to ride there we are just ignored by the powers that think they be.

As far as reasons they removed access from the plan...What I got from Mr Bergen's speech was that he didn't support building any new trails because he believes the park is already built out and that the existing trails are in terrible shape and should be fixed first. He said something along the lines of 40 miles of trails being in there? He also mentioned as some of the others did that he didn't think sharing the trails was "safe"
No mention as to why 10 miles or so of those existing trails can't be dedicated to mountain bikers in that case...

brians-rant-laughing-politicians.jpg

The face of our "representatives"?

Lonerider

There was an ATV in the WR @ 10:11am this morning. I heard it but only saw the tracks.

In 3 hours saw a family of 3, 4 women runners, one male runner and one dog walker. Clearly over utilized!?!??

There was an ATV in the WR @ 10:11am this morning. I heard it but only saw the tracks.
hell there was a full size king cab pickuop truck parked ON THE TRAIL at skytop during the deerhunt... you can still see the ruts. But of course, bikes do "damage"... bloomin' hypocrites, the lot of em.

ps. - nothing against hunting, just the hypocrisy of those who claim to "care" about the conditions of the trail and fearmonger about "bikes trashing the ecosystem".

btw, is there any hope of getting the state to cut funding re the green acres thing, and denying access? That should wake em up.

Also given the state itself endorse mt biking at state parks, maybe write the DEP or the gov'ner and point out that this arbitrary and capricious policy is in contravention of state policy?

Just thoughts, trying to figure out how to move forward. I will be writing the state attny gen and the county watchers re the money issue (already appropriated, but no work to be done, wtf) once I run the wording by a family member who is a lawyer. (and interestingly, once served with Bergen on the "ethics" committee -- "ethics" --what a f$@%ing hoot, right?)

Also have a friend who knows people at news 12 runnin' things by them...

To quote an old scifi show, I aim to misbehave.... who's with me?

Lonerider

As far as I'm aware, green acres doesn't guarantee access, just protection.

The house I'm at backs up to green acres property (which nobody is allowed to touch/use). There are also several farmlands around that have green acres signs on them.

Under the "Green Acres" law 7:36-25.10(d), which Union County receives funding from, access is required to be available for residents of any town. This was addressed during the last part of one of the FH meetings this fall by FH Estrada. Before that I didn't realized that it was the case.

Also for what its worth, can't stress the importance of supporting JORBA. They did good works here and are one of the few groups that can be counted on to represent. Even though this thing did not turn out how we hoped, they have gained a longtime supporter in myself. Please join or at least consider doing so, these guys are on your side.
Lonerider

The mayor of Summit and the mayor of Mountainside were both at the meeting. Both of which spoke that a compromise should be attainable. There wasn't even a remote mention that a compromise would be considered.

I get the feeling that the decision was made way before the vote. The "voting" was just a show to make people feel like they were being heard. If the mayor's of two bordering towns ask for compromise and that falls on deaf ears, then why would anyone think their voice is heard. Let alone listened to.

Only time will tell what the next chapter will have in store.

Under the "Green Acres" law 7:36-25.10(d), which Union County receives funding from, access is required to be available for residents of any town. This was addressed during the last part of one of the FH meetings this fall by FH Estrada. Before that I didn't realized that it was the case.

Well, I know what I'm going to say next time someone bitches about me using the deer paths behind the house...

Instead of waiting for them to "grant" access, is it possible to sue "for" access? I would think that a case could be made for rights being denied etc.? Seems like we could get JORBA and maybe IMBA involved from a legal standpoint? Or maybe this has been tried already.

Spoken as a dumb engineer, not a lawyer. :D

Back
Top Bottom