Watchung Reservation MTB Access - This Is It!!

stilluf

The Union County Freeholders have re-introduced a resolution to "disapprove" MTB access in the Watchung Reservation Master Trails Plan. Our understanding is that the Freeholders want to put this issue to rest, and the vote on this resolution is the vehicle to do so.

What does it mean: If approved, MTB access to Watchung will be removed from the Master Trails Plan. In other words, all of our hard work over the years for equitable access to Watchung will be for nothing!

What should we do: We must DEFEAT this resolution. To do so, we need 5 of the 9 freeholders to vote NO. First: contact the freeholders and tell then to vote NO. Email addresses below. Second, submit comments on the UC website in support of MTB access. Link below. (MTB community are responsible users, encourage healthy lifestyles, equitable access, etc.) Third, do everything in your power to attend the next freeholder meeting (details below). Fourth, spread the word!! We know that our community is advocating, but we need the casual rider and non-riders to weigh in.

When: Thursday May 18, 7pm 10 Elizabethtown Plaza, Elizabeth - GET THERE EARLY!!

Who: UC Freeholder email addresses:
bbergen@ucnj.org
sgranados@ucnj.org
linda.carter@ucnj.org
aestrada@ucnj.org
chudak@ucnj.org
mjalloh@ucnj.org
bkowalski@ucnj.org
amirabella@ucnj.org
vwright@ucnj.org

How: http://ucnj.org/parks-recreation/paths-trails-greenways/watchung-reservation-trails-master-plan/

Final Thoughts: the outcome of this vote is Not a "done deal." Our voices matter, and the freeholders do listen. We couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's efforts. We need one last push to realize our goal of MTB access at Watchung!!

Thank you, and #freewatchung

pygmypony

this would be a real shame...

i'm just curious, what are everyone's thoughts on non-Union county residents emailing UC Freeholders? is there some potential backlash there? I live in Edison, and would definitely LOVE to get back to riding in Watchung after 20 years...but, i'm wondering if that's part of the Freeholders' concerns...i.e. higher use by non-Union county residents/voters?

Mildly Wild

this would be a real shame...

i'm just curious, what are everyone's thoughts on non-Union county residents emailing UC Freeholders? is there some potential backlash there? I live in Edison, and would definitely LOVE to get back to riding in Watchung after 20 years...but, i'm wondering if that's part of the Freeholders' concerns...i.e. higher use by non-Union county residents/voters?
My concern also (I am from Little Falls, Passaic County) . I was at the last UC FH meeting. I was considering going up to speak, but one of the anti-mtb speakers before me went on and on about how this will attract great numbers of mtb'ers from all over the state. The first thing one has to do when speaking there is identify yourself and where you're from. I decided I may just be giving credence to what she was saying so I decided not to speak. Thoughts on this?

thegock

Under the "Green Acres" law 7:36-25.10(d), which Union County receives funding from, access is required to be available for residents of any town. This was addressed during the last part of one of the FH meetings this fall by FH Estrada. Before that I didn't realized that it was the case.

However, I would think that the FH put more weight on the opinions of Union County residents. I also hope that they value the opinions of residents of other counties.

Last edited:

stilluf

I think it's totally ok to write in and support. Emphasize your experience at other trails in NJ: shared use, minimal user conflict, sustainable trails, JORBA's successful partnership with land managers, etc.
We would also like to encourage diversity in riders, like all of the NICA kids, many of whom don't live in UC.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
like all of the NICA kids, many of whom don't live in UC.

hmmmm-dawson.gif

Interesting.... the county that doesn't allow bicycles doesn't have a younger generation of bicycle riders. Probably just a coincidence.

I too wondered if us out of county people speaking up would do more harm than good but going with my gut took some time to write a letter to the freeholders. I'm really hoping the freeholders are conscientious individuals that want to do the right thing and aren't swayed by other forces all too common in politics. Anyways here's a copy of the letter I sent to each of the UC Freeholders hoping it opens some eyes to what cross country mountain biking really is.

Subject: Understanding the concerns of residents regarding the addition of mountain bike trails in the Watchung Reservation.

Hello,

My name is Robert Wasilewski, I'm writing this letter after watching and following the ongoing debate about MTB trails at Watchung. Unfortunately I will be out of state May 18th for an event otherwise I would surely attend this meeting. Coming from a life of love for the outdoors I'm going to truly do my best to provide some unbiased comments regarding this. I've hiked, backpacked, fished, cycled, done outdoor photography as a living and truly love our forests and streams so without pause let me get to it starting with a numbered list.

1. Some residents seem to have a genuine concern about the speeds and dangers that will be on the trails if mountain bikes are permitted at Watchung. I can't help but think the images that many of these people have are what the bike industry and most ads promote. There is a HUGE difference between recreational cross country mountain biking and downhill events such as those sponsored by Red Bull entail. Most mountain biking commercials feature a professional rider flying downhill at breakneck speeds, realize this is not on public lands generally but on something more akin to a ski slope and it's a closed course with one rider at a time doing a timed run. On the other side recreational mountain biking generally involves average speeds of about 5 to 9 mph. To give a comparison I've worn my gps watch on a few brisk walks and have averaged as high as 4 mph in the woods on trails just walking. While accidents can occur during any outdoor activity studies have shown the injury rate in mountain biking to be extremely low compared to other sports. Also, last I looked at the proposal the bike trails were to be separate from the hiking area eliminating many of the conerns.

2. People will come from all around to use the trails, not just residents was another concern I heard voiced. While I do believe yes there will be cyclists coming from nearby towns I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Aren't public lands meant to be shared and right now aren't your cyclists interested in riding safely in the woods not on roads with cars currently being forced to travel to other counties to ride? I understand residents are a top concern but the more lands available for outdoor recreation of all types the more that load will be spread out. Most people can't afford a 40 minute drive more than perhaps one day on weekends to get to a riding destination so most of us jog, ride, walk, etc in our own backyards. I believe you'll find the trails will be mostly used by your own counties residents.

3. Bikes will disrupt the tranquil nature of the preserve... This complaint probably has the most credence of anything I've heard said to date. I wholeheartedly agree that when I'm out trying to take photos I love having the woods to myself and having a cyclist pass by or jogger or even a loud group of hikers with children it detracts from the experience of being out in nature. However, I realize that when those things bother me I'm being selfish and really do need to share these spaces with other people whether or not I like their activities or not. Short of someone being totally rude we should be more accepting and realize that the more people using forest lands the more interest future generations will have in preserving them.

4. Trail erosion: This one has been argued for a long time and the truth is most trails erode from improper construction and thus become a river when it rains. Bikes don't cause any more erosion than other activities, actually FAR less than horses do but the KEY thing here is properly constructed trails that shed water will require less maintenance and will not erode so quickly.

5. Housing values will decrease with an influx of mountain bikers: This is just ludicrous! Having seen communities like Bentonville AK, Asheville NC or even areas of Florida, mountain biking is probably one of the single best things for a community financially. Surely you can't please everyone but to make a blanket statement that having more nearby trails or cyclists is simply untrue.

6. The maintenance of new trails will be a burden and liability: Having seen places that JORBA maintains here in NJ and also organizations in Florida like OMBA (Ocala Mountain Bike Association) and SWAMP, another Florida based trail group it's truly amazing what dedicated hard working volunteers can do to turn a place around. A great example is the Marjorie Harris Greenway in Ocala which was a place for drug deals, illegal dumping, etc. until a good trail system was established. There are many articles online about this transformation and if anyone is willing to take some time they have a facebook group OMBA that is filled with many caring active members. What was once a dangerous place to go is now a thriving family oriented oasis with a great trail system which was built by mountain bikers but also allows hikers on nearly all the trails as well. Having passionate outdoor enthusiasts taking an active role in volunteering your park is a win/win scenario.

I could probably go on for several pages with reasons I among many others feel mountain bike trails will surely enrich your park and bring value to county residents. I also feel if the trails are approved once they're implemented many of the opponents will also see that it's not a bad thing at all. I really tried to keep this letter more about the facts rather than trying to make an emotional appeal. I truly have been on both sides of the trail, on a bike and as a walker, photographer and birder. I also wouldn't personally benefit from bike trails in your park much either, I live in middlesex county and have many places to ride locally. I did feel this issue is important enough to take the time to voice support for a fast growing sport that so many will enjoy including your children that may not have the option of driving to a destination to ride their bikes on trails. Please vote to allow the addition of mountain bike trails to Watchung.

Sincerely,

Robert W Wasilewski

stilluf

I too wondered if us out of county people speaking up would do more harm than good but going with my gut took some time to write a letter to the freeholders. I'm really hoping the freeholders are conscientious individuals that want to do the right thing and aren't swayed by other forces all too common in politics. Anyways here's a copy of the letter I sent to each of the UC Freeholders hoping it opens some eyes to what cross country mountain biking really is.

Subject: Understanding the concerns of residents regarding the addition of mountain bike trails in the Watchung Reservation.

Hello,

My name is Robert Wasilewski, I'm writing this letter after watching and following the ongoing debate about MTB trails at Watchung. Unfortunately I will be out of state May 18th for an event otherwise I would surely attend this meeting. Coming from a life of love for the outdoors I'm going to truly do my best to provide some unbiased comments regarding this. I've hiked, backpacked, fished, cycled, done outdoor photography as a living and truly love our forests and streams so without pause let me get to it starting with a numbered list.

1. Some residents seem to have a genuine concern about the speeds and dangers that will be on the trails if mountain bikes are permitted at Watchung. I can't help but think the images that many of these people have are what the bike industry and most ads promote. There is a HUGE difference between recreational cross country mountain biking and downhill events such as those sponsored by Red Bull entail. Most mountain biking commercials feature a professional rider flying downhill at breakneck speeds, realize this is not on public lands generally but on something more akin to a ski slope and it's a closed course with one rider at a time doing a timed run. On the other side recreational mountain biking generally involves average speeds of about 5 to 9 mph. To give a comparison I've worn my gps watch on a few brisk walks and have averaged as high as 4 mph in the woods on trails just walking. While accidents can occur during any outdoor activity studies have shown the injury rate in mountain biking to be extremely low compared to other sports. Also, last I looked at the proposal the bike trails were to be separate from the hiking area eliminating many of the conerns.

2. People will come from all around to use the trails, not just residents was another concern I heard voiced. While I do believe yes there will be cyclists coming from nearby towns I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Aren't public lands meant to be shared and right now aren't your cyclists interested in riding safely in the woods not on roads with cars currently being forced to travel to other counties to ride? I understand residents are a top concern but the more lands available for outdoor recreation of all types the more that load will be spread out. Most people can't afford a 40 minute drive more than perhaps one day on weekends to get to a riding destination so most of us jog, ride, walk, etc in our own backyards. I believe you'll find the trails will be mostly used by your own counties residents.

3. Bikes will disrupt the tranquil nature of the preserve... This complaint probably has the most credence of anything I've heard said to date. I wholeheartedly agree that when I'm out trying to take photos I love having the woods to myself and having a cyclist pass by or jogger or even a loud group of hikers with children it detracts from the experience of being out in nature. However, I realize that when those things bother me I'm being selfish and really do need to share these spaces with other people whether or not I like their activities or not. Short of someone being totally rude we should be more accepting and realize that the more people using forest lands the more interest future generations will have in preserving them.

4. Trail erosion: This one has been argued for a long time and the truth is most trails erode from improper construction and thus become a river when it rains. Bikes don't cause any more erosion than other activities, actually FAR less than horses do but the KEY thing here is properly constructed trails that shed water will require less maintenance and will not erode so quickly.

5. Housing values will decrease with an influx of mountain bikers: This is just ludicrous! Having seen communities like Bentonville AK, Asheville NC or even areas of Florida, mountain biking is probably one of the single best things for a community financially. Surely you can't please everyone but to make a blanket statement that having more nearby trails or cyclists is simply untrue.

6. The maintenance of new trails will be a burden and liability: Having seen places that JORBA maintains here in NJ and also organizations in Florida like OMBA (Ocala Mountain Bike Association) and SWAMP, another Florida based trail group it's truly amazing what dedicated hard working volunteers can do to turn a place around. A great example is the Marjorie Harris Greenway in Ocala which was a place for drug deals, illegal dumping, etc. until a good trail system was established. There are many articles online about this transformation and if anyone is willing to take some time they have a facebook group OMBA that is filled with many caring active members. What was once a dangerous place to go is now a thriving family oriented oasis with a great trail system which was built by mountain bikers but also allows hikers on nearly all the trails as well. Having passionate outdoor enthusiasts taking an active role in volunteering your park is a win/win scenario.

I could probably go on for several pages with reasons I among many others feel mountain bike trails will surely enrich your park and bring value to county residents. I also feel if the trails are approved once they're implemented many of the opponents will also see that it's not a bad thing at all. I really tried to keep this letter more about the facts rather than trying to make an emotional appeal. I truly have been on both sides of the trail, on a bike and as a walker, photographer and birder. I also wouldn't personally benefit from bike trails in your park much either, I live in middlesex county and have many places to ride locally. I did feel this issue is important enough to take the time to voice support for a fast growing sport that so many will enjoy including your children that may not have the option of driving to a destination to ride their bikes on trails. Please vote to allow the addition of mountain bike trails to Watchung.

Sincerely,

Robert W Wasilewski
Thanks for sharing and supporting!!!

Shorepoints

I believe out-of-county communication to the Freeholders is certainly valuable. Focus on the positive influence of MTB and volunteers at the areas you ride as a comparison. Much of the complaints by opposition fly in the face of real-world example at neighboring parks. Focus on that. We have to deflate the fear-mongering and exaggeration that the opposition has used as their weapons against us.

qclabrat

Sent note to all FH from a Warren resident, hope it helps towards the cause.
I encourage everyone else to do so, I'm a horrible writer and took me 45 mins to scratch some thing out

Dear Sirs/Madams,
My name is Walter Ku, I am currently a Warren resident, however had lived in Fanwood from 1982 to 1998.

The reservation holds a special place in my heart having moved to New Jersey from Manhattan in my early teens. The first few summers were hard for my brother and I as we were culturally and economically different from the population in the area but really cherished the surroundings which we had not experienced before. Having places to play with out my parents worrying about our safety was the primary reason my parents moved us to NJ, despite both working in New York. Our parents worked on most weekends, so it was normal for us to ride our bikes all day and home just in time for dinner. One of our favorite places to visit was the Seely's Pond and Surprise Lake areas where were would fish and ride. Once I caught a bucket of fish, then went for ride and when I got back someone stole my fish. Haha, I'm still mad about that as I'm writing about it now.

I must have visited the park a few hundred times while living in Fanwood, and have fortunately not been hit by a car while riding there. Today, things are different, drivers are more distracted than ever due to a variety of reasons. My kids are not be allowed to ride bikes on the larger and busier roads because of this. The reservation provides a wonderful opportunity to get kids to ride more while providing a safe "bubble" for them to get outside. I too have given up riding for long distances in the open road, I recently switch over to riding in the woods as it's statiscally safer to ride there than on the roads nowadays. Riding is 75% of the exercise I currently get. Without the Washington Valley park in Martinsville, I would likely ride so much less due to convenience. Also everyone is busier today than ever, a one hour bike ride is all I can spare on most days. If people have to drive over 30 mins to ride an hour, it is not likely that they go out to exercise. Same goes for the kids, as it will be their parents who will need to take them.

Please do not remove mountain bike access in the Watchung Reservation master trails plan. Vote NO on May 18th.

I'm not sure if there's more we can do than write letters, show up at meetings and plead our case that mountain biking is a healthy and valuable activity that should be part of the new plan. Truly hoping the freeholders see it this way, if not then what more can be done but concentrate our efforts where we are welcome and have good relationships with the communities. Mountain biking is such an important part of my life I would never move somewhere that wasn't bike friendly, in fact I've looked at Brevard NC which is a mecca for mountain biking as a retirement possibility. Not sure if anyone ever noticed but when you enter some towns you'll see a masonic sign that says "Free and Accepted", perhaps it will be that way with bikes being accepted or not in certain communities. If the people I saw speaking against mtb trails at the meetings are representative of Union County it's surely a place I'd never want to live, not just for biking but just that mindset in general.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Everyone's had some excellent input and write-ins, keep it up! I think the big question for UC (and Essex for that matter) is: what makes their parks/counties so unique that mountain biking/multi-use and sharing the trails can work across pretty much the rest of NJ and across the nation, but not in Watchung? I have yet to hear a valid reason from the anti's in this regard. Even the original notion of a dedicated MTB trail (which would neuter the overblown argument of potential trail user conflict) doesn't seem to quell the cries. Frankly, I would say most MTB'ers are much more open to a shared trail than a dedicated one, since we've been sharing since Day 1.

Shorepoints

Everyone's had some excellent input and write-ins, keep it up! I think the big question for UC (and Essex for that matter) is: what makes their parks/counties so unique that mountain biking/multi-use and sharing the trails can work across pretty much the rest of NJ and across the nation, but not in Watchung? I have yet to hear a valid reason from the anti's in this regard. Even the original notion of a dedicated MTB trail (which would neuter the overblown argument of potential trail user conflict) doesn't seem to quell the cries. Frankly, I would say most MTB'ers are much more open to a shared trail than a dedicated one, since we've been sharing since Day 1.
When we promote "shared" trails they cry "danger!". When we promote "bike only" trails they cry "raping wilderness!" So no matter which tack we take, the opposition decries it. My pitch to the Freeholders has been "no net gain" of trails at Watchung. So if we de-commission and restore 10-15 miles of crappy existing trails and build 10-15 miles of sustainable new bike-only trails, we neutralize both the "danger!" and the "raping wilderness!" claims. At least that is the logical argument. We aren't dealing with logical.

TheLonerider

The county should finally make good on its promises. For 3 years we have been assured it is just around the corner, then they spring this -- twice now. Yet they insist they are working with us. Yeh like Eisenhower would have been "working" with the rest if the allies if he told them d-day would take place in Belgium! Time for the county to actually give us some evidence it is trustworthy and intends to proceed in good faith. We have been beyond patient. Let's get some access.

As to the anti-mtb opponents, if someone has an unreasonable fear of something, it's sad, but it is their issue, not something we should base policy on.

Let's keep reminding them of reality.

Last edited:

thegock

Here's the email and comment that I sent today:

Freeholder Chairman Bergen and Freeholders,

I am a retired CPA living in Westfield. For 23 years, I have been paying high property taxes to support the Union County parks.

I ride my mountain bike on trails in New Jersey for exercise and recreation. (Due to an age related medical condition, I am no longer able to run for aerobic exercise.) To ride legal woodland trails, I must drive a minimum of over 28 miles round trip to Chimney Rock Park in Somerset County. This contrasts with a distance of only two miles over which I can easily ride my bike to access the Watchung Reservation trails, should they be open to mountain bikes.

It perplexes me that a wealthy elite, supported by millions of dollars in Union County spending of tax dollars, may use the trails of the Watchung Reservation for equestrian recreation, while I am not permitted to ride my old bike there.

Please consider implementing the Master Trails Plan with new separate MTB trails included or by permitting shared trails. This would mean voting against the resolution that proposes removing MTB access from the Plan on Thursday 5/18/17.

Regards,

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Here is my note!

Dear Freeholder Chairman Bergen and Freeholders,

I am a resident of Clark, married and father of 3 children and have lived in Union county a large portion of my life. As a tax payer in Union County I struggle with why there is no mountain biking in the county I live? I have to travel to other counties to enjoy the sport that my wife and I participate in for exercise. Additionally, my son now almost 14 has been trail riding with me since the age of 4. As it stands now, I travel at the minimum over 25 miles one-way to the nearest park to ride my bicycle in the trails.

I have been around long enough to remember when the Watchung Reservation allowed multi-use trails and it was a sad day 1995 when this was discontinued. I still don’t fully understand why?

Please consider implementing the Master Trails Plan with separate MTB trails or at minimum by permitting shared use trails. I am requesting voting against the resolution that proposes removing MTB access from the Plan on Thursday 5/18/17. It would be really unfortunate to limit the beautiful surrounds in the Watchung Reservation to just foot and horse traffic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom