Watchung Reservation - Call to Action This Thursday (8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From my other post:

"There is a freeholders meeting this thursday (August 18) at 7pm in Elizabeth where we will have a chance to speak. We would like to get the word out to as many bikers as possible so we can get a strong showing to this. I will put up another post about this separate from this one."

Here is the thing with this. We are looking for people who are calm & reasonable show up for this meeting. As mentioned above we (some subset) of us will have a chance to speak and we would like to bring as many positive bikers to the meeting to express our support of allowing biking to be officially allowed again in the park. We do not need angry people showing up to yell at the freeholders. That wouldn't serve any real purpose.

If you can attend that would be great.

I'm going to lock this thread as there really is no need for this to be an open discussion. If you have any questions please send me a private message.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do the people have to be from union county? <-- this seems legit for public recruiting

i would say you need some people to introduce any experts that accompany them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
More information on the agenda. I have been asked if this topic is on the agenda and here is what I have currently from someone who is working with the county on the matter:

"It is not on the agenda but I was advised that we will get a chance to speak. I am working now to get the appropriate contact to let him/her know we are coming and would like to speak. We are also going to work up a handout document to distribute to attendees and freeholders."

I will post more information as it becomes available to me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Confirmation of open time frame:

"I spoke to the Clerk at the County office assistant and informed her that we will have a contingent at the meeting. She confirmed that we WILL have a chance to speak at the Public Comment portion at the end of the meeting. She said the meetings are pretty short in the summer so it should only about an hour before we can speak. She said everyone must sign in at the meeting so we should all arrive by 7."

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am bumping this as a reminder that the meeting will be held tonight.

The county response to our inquiries:

"The signs were removed by vandals and replaced. The current ban on biking and ATVS is still in effect in the Reservation.

The Parks Master Plan was amended earlier this year to include a separate trail for biking (apart from hiking and horse trails) in the Watchung Reservation. However, construction has not yet begun on the trail, which we expect to be completed by Spring of 2017. Until then, the restriction or ban on biking remains in effect.

Parks personnel will be holding an informational sesssion sometime in the Fall with those interested/impacted to discuss the matter further. The date will be released within the next few months via the County's press outlets and social media."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom