Watchung Reservation - Call to Action (10/20, 7pm)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
In a sorta sad way, us asking for multi use is what's holding up access. If we all just accepted the current plan we'd all be riding in there already.

Jonnyrl1

Agreed Jim, we just need to get our foot in the door, show what we can do as far as trail building and maintenance. Then take it from there.

Xler8

@fidodie, no one is looking to prolong, rather move things along. And if asking or suggesting for action will delay anything then that's a sad sign.

Yes, a small first step would be welcomed by many, but when will that step come? It was said Spring... Spring of 2017?

Let's prove that commitment of safety and trail maintenance! In order to do that we need to be allowed to take that small step. We have no idea when that step will come....

bobe kryant

So what's the next step from here? Are the freeholders going to discuss internally? Another TBD meeting with the community?

Shorepoints

Stilluf, JORBA Ken, and I met with the existing trail maintenance team (Dan, Betty Ann, and Mike) just prior to the meeting, and THEY are also very unhappy with the Master Plan (not the MTB portion, just the entire plan itself). All interested parties agree the Master Plan needs improvement, and the County is soliciting feedback from all interested parties to provide feedback for improvement. That was the purpose of Thursday's meeting.

Yes, this should have happened earlier in the process, but better that it happens now than not at all. This week we already have an on-site meeting scheduled to provide MTB-feedback on the trail plan and come up with a better proposal. The county hired a MTB-friendly consultant to see this thing through (he's very legit). As long as we (MTB user group) keep the pressure on and keep things moving, there will be little reason/opportunity for the county to stall. However WE are the ones that are supremely motivated to get this thing legalized, so WE are the ones that have to keep the pressure on, in a mature, diplomatic way.

As Zuber said, a lot of the progress will be made "behind the scenes" with myself, Stilluf, and Seebeck grinding it out with the County to push things forward. First priority is an improved trail plan and a clear timeline of events leading to opening. We'll continue to keep you posted on progress and if we see any road-blocks, you guys will be the first to know. So far, so good.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Sorry I couldn't make this meeting. Something came up on my daughter's end. Glad to hear it went generally well. It's certainly light years better of a situation than 20 years ago. FWIW, Lewis Morris only has about 7 miles of MTB trails, so 6 for Watchung, while not as much as we'd like, is a decent start. Start small, prove ourselves, and hopefully earn more over time. The more we are a legitimate and actively contributing presence in the park, the more we will be accepted over time by more park users.

TheLonerider

Thanks to all who showed up, it was awesome to see so many supporting people.
However it is sad they are in fact taking so long. If they had consulted park managers etc. in Morris or other counties they could have gotten a lot of input to help them move along.

If you wanna learn how to make mt. biking work, you talk to people whose parks have mountain biking, right?

Still, impressive turnout, and the fact that they did have a large public meeting is certainly a change from years ago in terms of public input.

My only real fear is that all the new no bike signs at all the other park trails that never had them will mean we actually lose net trail access, even if those trails are only a few miles here or there. One of those trails is across the street from my neighborhood. Yeh it's not long but I grew up riding there. I don't think when any of us started to advocate for access at Watchung we thought me might lose access at every other county trail which were never signed as closed before.

(BTW, according to the OPRA request I got a while back they were planning to order those new signs since spring, according to the emails I was sent.)

Still, I travel hopefully. We are on the right side of history.

Lonerider

TheLonerider

Mr. Seebeck, thank you for coming there from far away after your time on the road. Thanks also to the others who attended. This was probably the biggest gathering of mountain bikers on the issue ever.

I should have brought out the fliers earlier at the JORBA Jungle ride... but where would the county have put the extra people if they'd had any effect? On the ceiling? lol.
Looking forward to next step.

Lonerider

thegock

There is a "Ticket Blitz" underway in the Watchung Reservation until further notice. The Union County 5-0 are acting at the direction of Bridgette Kelly.

Top Bottom