Watchung News 12/9/2016

tdunn

The opponents really came off as quite hysterical. They were so disrespectful to the professional engineer, Megan Stanley who was on hand and stated a number of facts prior to the open mic. They conveniently chose to ignore her stated facts and proceeded with their pre-planned objections. After decades of being bullied by one user group who consistently reference the same argument, don’t you think the politicians and planners have done their homework before presenting such a plan? Isn’t it insulting to purport that a professionally trained environmental engineer working for one of the top engineering firms in the area hasn't considered these points?

This whole thing makes me sad. And really it is just a microcosm of the ALL OR NOTHING mentality that we see in every Internet argument today. We rally against the anti-mtb people (obviously) but I have seen similar animosity on this board for absolutely pointless things like tire choice, SS/gears, 26er/29er, fat bikes, shoes, etc. The latest political season just shows you that we as a society are as intolerant as ever and we cling on to these differences so we can wake up and be angry about something.

I don't understand why people wake up every day and seek sadness/unhappiness.

It might be worth taking a moment to address the basic root of our "personal belief system" - a quick learning response that made sure we ate the right berries, wiped from front to back and ran from large animals with big teeth. All essential for survival. Same system fast forward to present and we are now inundated with non-essential-to-life notions that are received with a similar black and white treatment. We, as animals, form strong beliefs. It's our underlying foundation that allows to become experts on politics from reading an article or proclaiming fully rigid is only way to SS. Hyperbole or not, this is evident on a daily basis.

That being said, it should not surprise us that we encounter very opinionated people despite being uniformed. With the misinformed being the loudest. Ignorance should be met with tolerance and proper constructive information.

kdebello

I was waiting for something to be said on the Facebook Berkeley Heights forum and it popped up this afternoon. There are opinions based off the articles we have all read and know are untrue. I posted about the positives regarding the volunteers doing trail maintenance, the family friendly aspect of mtb. Also mentioned NICA and kids getting out and riding in nature.

I also asked if anyone had a question or concern to message me. That might be opening up a can of worms, but if someone asks a question and I can provide them with facts, maybe someone could be swayed to change their view. I sure I'll be on here asking for an answer to a question I don't know.

If anyone is a member of the BH Community forum, pop in there, There are actually 2 forums, one is a general BH town page and the other is a mostly political BH page that someone set up with the same exact name for certain reasons.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That might be opening up a can of worms,
4385f6c06b54af2739e68145ae48622f8a4225c9b93a5f3fd4ab0ab9ed333f1d.jpg

Sorry.... couldn't resist.

Shorepoints

If you can, please attend the Freeholder meeting tomorrow night 7pm; 10 Elizabeth Town Plaza, 6th Floor, Elizabeth, NJ. There is nothing related to the Watchung Reservation Trail Plan on the Agenda but we will be able to speak at the public comment portion at the end of the meeting. With 100% certainty there will be vocal anti-MTB people there to speak. We should at least have our chance to respond (respectfully, with facts, and calmly). I am preparing a document to debunk all of the objections raised last night and will circulate it to the Freeholders.

2WHLZ

It is clear that the anti mtb trails people are adament in their stance to keep bikes out of Watchung. While it was disheartening to listen to a lot of misinformation and folks who are against mtbers, I feel that at the end of the night we had some folks speak to rally our side and they did a good job.
The county is willing to hear all sides and is unbiased at this point. This link was given to voice your concerns and leave comments. I strongly urge anyone who wants mtb trails in Watchung to leave comments indicating such. Freeholders are listening, so lets make sure we are heard.

http://ucnj.org/parks-recreation/paths-trails-greenways/watchung-reservation-trails-master-plan/

Done and done. Thanks for posting the link

Anthony Livelli

That meeting was painful. The amount opposed and some of the silly assumptions.

It was disappointing to hear the ignorance and close-mindedness of the people against mountain biking. Some had valid points while some were not and showed pure selfishness and unwillingness to change. One valid point they made that stuck to me which to some of you are already doing or still doing it can't deny it.

"They are riding the trails illegally now, what's to stop them from not riding the hiker only trails"

I think everyone should try to convince all fellow MTBers to lay off the trails until its officially open to not give them any ammunition against opening the trails.

It was also disappointing to see/listen MTBers talking about Strava times and how fast they are going in near vicinity of people who are opposing biking in Watchung, booing (we are better than that), and MTBer's constantly talking while people are talking or trying to listen, come on guys, there's social hour and there is a time to be serious. Perception is key.

But my favorite quote of the night before leaving at 830. "Mountain bikers are a privileged minority".

I was next to a woman interviewing people for the local newspaper, one guy screwed the pouch on this question: Why do you want to bike here in Watchung? "So I don't have to drive 45 minutes to another trail". (lol come on you could of articulated something better than that! Its gonna be recorded as an answer!!)

/rant

Hopefully it still goes as planned. Glad I went to this event to see first hand the process. I am unbiased towards this, I would love to see it go live but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it didn't, we have other trail systems in NJ to go to which I'm thankful for. Appreciate all the hardwork people put in to make it happen, playing politics with a county probably isn't easy so hats off to whoever is making it happen. Hopefully the county or whoever decides will make it happen.

Top Bottom