Warning: Hiking mob expected at High Mountain on Sunday May 1st

Berms&Boofs

Annual breakfast hike in North Haledon
Carrying on a tradition, North Haledon is having its Breakfast on the Mountain on May 1 at 8:30 a.m.

Mayor Randy George said all participants will meet in the parking lot of William Paterson University and follow the Red Trail up High Mountain.

"It’s a leisurely hike up and most of this is level. You get to see a great view of things like New York City and the Ramapo Mountains," George said.

He added the food for the event is donated and there is no cost to participate or eat.

The mayor said they are usually helped out by the Boy Scouts of America and he will be personally in charge of the hike up the mountain.

Bruce Iacobelli, chairman of the public events committee, added they get anywhere between 75 to 100 people to go with them on this hike.

"The success of this event really depends on the weather. The better the weather, the more people. During leaner years, we’ve had no less than 40 people come along," he said.

Iacobelli said the event started when the town turned 100, in the year 2001. George wanted his committee to plan 100 events for the centennial and the Breakfast on the Mountain event was so popular, they decided to continue holding it, twice a year, once in the spring and the other in the fall. Iacobelli says the spring event is much more popular and it is the only one where they serve breakfast.

Iacobelli said breakfast is cooked by a chef, Paul Ploch and includes food like scrambled eggs and bacon. In addition, they serve bagels, juice, donuts and coffee. He said the event is put together by the volunteers of the Public Events Committee, which has the full support of the North Haledon Police Department as well as the fire department.

"They bring everything up there before dawn, set it up and when it’s over, clean up and take it all down," he said.

Iacobelli said High Mountain is the highest point on the Eastern Seaboard. He added during World War II, it was a lookout point to watch the New York City Harbor.

George said anyone requesting further information should call the municipal building at 973-427-779

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure if I'm free that day yet, but I'd be down for a hike and free breakfast, followed by a ride once the hikers are all gone.

"It’s a leisurely hike up and most of this is level. You get to see a great view of things like New York City and the Ramapo Mountains, George said."

Is this guy talking about the same High Mountain?

qclabrat

Not sure if I'm free that day yet, but I'd be down for a hike and free breakfast, followed by a ride once the hikers are all gone.

Is this guy talking about the same High Mountain?
I was thinking the same, when it was mentioned to be highest point on the eastern seaboard. A quick check and it appears many try to lay the same claim, including Todt Hill in Staten Island and the Atlantic Highlands.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions