Wanted: Desktop computer cheap

rlb

Looking for something cheap (<$100) for security camera recording duties. LMK what you have, something missing a hard drive would be great because I'm going to stick a new one in it anyway.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
CPU/RAM requirements? I probably have something that'll work that you can have for free.

rlb

CPU/RAM requirements? I probably have something that'll work that you can have for free.

486 or slower only.

Whatever I can get for now, really. It'll be recording 2 ip cameras for the time being, so it doesn't need to have dual exhaust.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a small form factor desktop with a sticker that claims it's a Celeron 2.8 with 512 megs of RAM. I have a few others in the same style without stickers but they are probably similarly spec'd, maybe one is a P4 instead of a Celeron with a bit more memory. I also have some 2U servers that are probably Xeon/dual Xeon with 4-8 gigs of RAM and sound like an airplane taking off when you turn it on.

moose35

I have an NVR if you want for $125
Its brand new and has a 4tb purple Seagate hard drive installed.
It's an 8 channel unit with a p.o e. switch built in.
I may even have a couple of new IP cameras floating around

BPaze

I have a small form factor desktop with a sticker that claims it's a Celeron 2.8 with 512 megs of RAM. I have a few others in the same style without stickers but they are probably similarly spec'd, maybe one is a P4 instead of a Celeron with a bit more memory. I also have some 2U servers that are probably Xeon/dual Xeon with 4-8 gigs of RAM and sound like an airplane taking off when you turn it on.
Wow your collection sounds a lot like mine. @rlb I also have a fairly new HPE server that was damaged in a pipe break, if you want to play with it to get it running its free. Not sure how bad the damage is whether everything is about or just power supply or system board

rlb

Thinking I'll probably need more than a Celeron to handle the video, let me see. Server would be cool but I don't have the space for it.

rlb

Do you have a link on the NVR? If it has web server capabilities I may go this route.

rlb

Wow your collection sounds a lot like mine. @rlb I also have a fairly new HPE server that was damaged in a pipe break, if you want to play with it to get it running its free. Not sure how bad the damage is whether everything is about or just power supply or system board

Think I'll have to pass...getting this shit set up is more project than I have the time for, but thanks!

qclabrat

If you mean like a lorex, I maybe interested if Rob passes. Let me know how many cams you have and what is missing that I'll need to get it running

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow your collection sounds a lot like mine.

Yeah, I worked for an ISP/colo provider for ten years. We had a pretty successful dedicated server business, and every few years they would get rid of the old machines and we would divvy them up and take them home. I also took home customer gear a few times when they would tell us to just get rid of it. I gave a lot of it away over the years, but I still have plenty of junk lying around.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
@JimN, @BPaze , If you still have the servers with the Xeons my son is interested in playing around with them. Let me know what you have and how much you want. Thanks!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let me know what you have and how much you want.

I have three 2U servers that are either single or dual Xeon, with probably 8 gigs of RAM or so. I can take a look tomorrow. I also have some other assorted stuff but I'm not sure what. The price is that you have to come to my house in Parsippany to get them. Or meet me at Wildcat or the Gravity Vault in Chatham depending on what night of the week it is.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I have three 2U servers that are either single or dual Xeon, with probably 8 gigs of RAM or so. I can take a look tomorrow. I also have some other assorted stuff but I'm not sure what. The price is that you have to come to my house in Parsippany to get them. Or meet me at Wildcat or the Gravity Vault in Chatham depending on what night of the week it is.
Thanks, he is pretty much in pure geek mode. Wants to try building things up for cheap. I work in Florham Park so I'll PM you.

BPaze

@JimN, @BPaze , If you still have the servers with the Xeons my son is interested in playing around with them. Let me know what you have and how much you want. Thanks!
I have an office in Fairfield full of various stuff set up an appointment and come by to take a look all is free.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

gravity vault in flemington?

Top Bottom