wanted: AC unit for an addition

the schwartz

eh. maybe you have one you been meaning to get rid of. bigger the better. mine crapped out on me

I'm in West Orange

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
damn ill have to get our monstrosity out, its something like 24kbtu in wall unit. Been wanting to pull it since we had central put in and havent gotten around to it (we are close to you too, union)

do you need 110 or 220v unit?

the schwartz

damn ill have to get our monstrosity out, its something like 24kbtu in wall unit. Been wanting to pull it since we had central put in and havent gotten around to it (we are close to you too, union)

Actually could go either way, previous owners had a hot tub indoors in this room /headscratch so there's a 220 drop here. I guess 220 would be preferable given the size of the room

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have access to a 16lber iirc, the a/c unit is around 26x18. i think it was on a 30amp 220 dedicated circuit when it was hooked up.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

220 221, whatever it takes......

Reactions: w_b

Patrick

Staff member
Actually could go either way, previous owners had a hot tub indoors in this room /headscratch so there's a 220 drop here. I guess 220 would be preferable given the size of the room

make sure you resize the circuit breaker to match the rating of the unit.

the schwartz

make sure you resize the circuit breaker to match the rating of the unit.
I don't know what this means. Amperage? Help me not set my house on fire.

Might get an electrician to do a few hours of work for the wiring anyway, the outlet is sealed now and far away from where I'd install the unit

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I don't know what this means. Amperage? Help me not set my house on fire.

amperage - the installation doc will state draw, you get the breaker that is a round number larger. so if it pulls 23 amps, you get a 30 amp breaker.
they are relatively easy to install, if you are uncomfortable working on an open load center, i'm sure someone you know can help......if it is higher than
the breaker in there, then the wires will not be large enough - but that is doubtful, given spas are 40 or 50 amp units.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone have a tiny 120VAC unit they'd be looking to get rid of?

I'd like to try one in my condo bedroom, but there's a good chance that they'll tell me I'm not allowed to have a window unit so I'm not looking to buy one...

Top Bottom