Wahoo issue/problem.

ok Dave - when you say stop - you mean stop pedaling? or stop the flywheel?

i had to get off the bike for a few seconds to chase the cat while it was calling for 250W - when i got back on, it was close
to locked up - had to stand on it to get it going.

this almost makes sense - consider some weird granny gear say 24/50 - to create 250W with that type of mechanical advantage
at a low RPM it would have to be a huge resistance - the trainer sees low cadence, low speed, and would turn up the resistance.
make sense?

at a higher RPM, higher speed, the resistance would be less. this is because watts is an instantaneous measurement.
not sure if there is a setting to avoid this. thinking of it the opposite way, if you put in 250W and it didn't create any resistance,
the cadence would have to go up to take up the extra power.

bad kitty
View attachment 84094

I just re read Dave's post and I think you're right.

This is normal. Just lower the resistance while still pedaling.

keep the spray bottle set on long rang hanging on the handlebars? so you dont have to get off the bike . . .

2c2da7b2-6052-463e-aa00-3ede19e7913f_text.gif

ok Dave - when you say stop - you mean stop pedaling? or stop the flywheel?

i had to get off the bike for a few seconds to chase the cat while it was calling for 250W - when i got back on, it was close
to locked up - had to stand on it to get it going.

Not sure if it's software dependant or not (I use TrainerRoad) but if this happens you backpedal for a few seconds and it'll lower the resistance.

Easy to get into this situation if doing intervals and just can't keep up the effort in ERG mode on an interval and the cadence drops making it increasingly harder. Backpedal, resistance lowers, pedal forward and then match increasing power.

Not sure if it's software dependant or not (I use TrainerRoad) but if this happens you backpedal for a few seconds and it'll lower the resistance.

Easy to get into this situation if doing intervals and just can't keep up the effort in ERG mode on an interval and the cadence drops making it increasingly harder. Backpedal, resistance lowers, pedal forward and then match increasing power.

i would think it would have some idea that if the cadence drops below 30ish with negative slope that it could assume the need for a restart from a lower power.
esp off zero cadence. but this is wahoo, no zwift - wahoo wants a power based, no frills workout.
all about software.

So I took @Joe J ’s wisdom and figured out how to program my intervals into training peaks. I am still having random wattage adjust issues. My intervals are programmed by multiplying so there should be no individual glitches. I am doing a 15m warmup, then 13 reps 30on15off with 3m rbi, repeat 3 times then 10 min cooldown. T
The first set synced from tp to my wahoo element adjusted perfectly 13 times as it said on the screen. The second set about 2/3 through still signaled going to easy but the wattage never backed down for 2 reps. This happened once in the third set too. Very frustrating as you can’t barely get the pedals spinning again as it’s stuck over 400w. Is this a known wahoo glitch or am I doing something weong? I wasn’t tired and exceeded my power goals a bit easier than last week. @jShort ? Anyone else have similar issues?

Ah. I am no help. I don’t use TrainingPeaks or a Wahoo head unit. Try Wahoo support and see what they say. You have the latest sw on the trainer and head unit?

the latest firmware for the wahoo is/was glitchy - double check the latest version, and put in a problem report if
it doesn't clear.

the latest firmware for the wahoo is/was glitchy - double check the latest version, and put in a problem report if
it doesn't clear.

Let me restate that - get the latest firmware - the one before was glitchy.....

@Dave Taylor

I have had two customers with an issue like this. Both were using Kickr. Both were experiencing an increase in resistance. So much that even when shifting into the lowest gear it was searly impossible to turn the pedals. The root cause of the issue was from signal interference. They were unknowingly connecting more than one device to their Kickr. Kickrs are only ment to pair with a singular device. They also had an excessive amount of bluetooth devices running in the same room. Once I connected each Kickr with only one device (had to make other devices "forget" the kickr first) and turnned off other bluetooth signals they no longer had resistance issues. After talking to Wahoo they mentioned this is pretty common but a easy fix. Best of luck, hope that helps and you get it working.

Last edited:
I’ve had a shit-ton of issues with intervals in erg mode (Zwift as the source). It’s been a combination of shitty internet connection (fucking cablevision and gamer/Skype happy progeny) and crappy timed dropouts (exasperated by said shitty internet). Dropped connections at interval transition totally fubar’d the set. Probably worth investigating the network stability. Eventually I’ll take my own advice..... god I’m a moron.

@Dave Taylor

I have had two customers with an issue like this. Both were using Kickr. Both were experiencing an increase in resistance. So much that even when shifting into the lowest gear it was searly impossible to turn the pedals. The root cause of the issue was from signal interference. They were unknowingly connecting more than one device to their Kickr. Kickrs are only ment to pair with a singular device. They also had an excessive amount of bluetooth devices running in the same room. Once I connected each Kickr with only one device (had to make other devices "forget" the kickr first) and turnned off other bluetooth signals they no longer had resistance issues. After talking to Wahoo they mentioned this is pretty common but a easy fix. Best of luck, hope that helps and you get it working.
Thank you. I only had the element connected. My phone was nearby but but not connected and wahoo apps were cleared before.

I’ve had a shit-ton of issues with intervals in erg mode (Zwift as the source). It’s been a combination of shitty internet connection (fucking cablevision and gamer/Skype happy progeny) and crappy timed dropouts (exasperated by said shitty internet). Dropped connections at interval transition totally fubar’d the set. Probably worth investigating the network stability. Eventually I’ll take my own advice..... god I’m a moron.
This was a direct ant+\bluetooth connection from trainer to element

Back
Top Bottom