Vacation advice needed!!

pygmypony

Thank s for all the ideas. Heading to lake placid
hey there @roc i’m heading to lake placid in early august for a family vaca. did you find any good MTB trails? i’m not into the DH scene looking for some nice flowy/technical single track. thanks!

roc

hey there @roc i’m heading to lake placid in early august for a family vaca. did you find any good MTB trails? i’m not into the DH scene looking for some nice flowy/technical single track. thanks!
I only rode at Mt Van Ho. It was ok. Not too technical. There are trails over by the "hungry trout". I was doing a hike over there and the trails were awesome. The trailhead is across the river from the hungry trout on the same side. Saw quite a few bikers and they were all raving about the trails.

roc

If you're into hiking the cascade hike is awesome, it's only about 4 1/2 miles round trip but you get awesome 360* views at the top.

ADKmike

did you find any good MTB trails? i’m not into the DH scene looking for some nice flowy/technical single track. thanks!

A lot of good MTB trails in the area. There has been a major effort by the local MTB/BC Ski group BETA to grow the previously limited trail networks in the region. Also, the town of Wilmington (where Whiteface actually is, next to Lake Placid) is becoming the MTB capitol of the ADKs. They hold an annual bikefest now on Labor Day wknd.

The following websites will be of good use:
http://www.betatrails.org/
http://www.whitefaceregion.com/

The original MTB trail system up there is called The Flume network (near Hungry Trout in Wilmington, as mentioned above), but there is much more. Hardy Road trails "All In" is a must do - big climb, big decent. Easier stuff over there as well. Poor Man's downhill in Wilmington can be done shuttle style (town runs shuttle every other Sunday) off of Veterans Memorial Highway (trailhead on the left heading up - if you get to toll booth for the road up Whiteface you've gone too far. Dumps you out to Up A Creek resturant on Rt. 86 in downtown Wilmington) Big trail system in Lake Placid both behind the golf course (Lussi/Loggers system) and further out behind the other golf course out past the ski jumps (Craigwood). Check out the BETA website and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

pygmypony

A lot of good MTB trails in the area. There has been a major effort by the local MTB/BC Ski group BETA to grow the previously limited trail networks in the region. Also, the town of Wilmington (where Whiteface actually is, next to Lake Placid) is becoming the MTB capitol of the ADKs. They hold an annual bikefest now on Labor Day wknd.

The following websites will be of good use:
http://www.betatrails.org/
http://www.whitefaceregion.com/

The original MTB trail system up there is called The Flume network (near Hungry Trout in Wilmington, as mentioned above), but there is much more. Hardy Road trails "All In" is a must do - big climb, big decent. Easier stuff over there as well. Poor Man's downhill in Wilmington can be done shuttle style (town runs shuttle every other Sunday) off of Veterans Memorial Highway (trailhead on the left heading up - if you get to toll booth for the road up Whiteface you've gone too far. Dumps you out to Up A Creek resturant on Rt. 86 in downtown Wilmington) Big trail system in Lake Placid both behind the golf course (Lussi/Loggers system) and further out behind the other golf course out past the ski jumps (Craigwood). Check out the BETA website and you'll see what I mean.
thanks @ADKmike i also called up High Peaks Cyclery and they also recommended BETA. looks like some really good stuff up there! i'll be travelling with the family, so riding time will be modest at best, but i hope to give that Lussi trail network a shot. i'm primarily a single track/XC rider, and it looks like it's a short pedal from the house we are renting.

thanks again!

pygmypony

quick update here for anyone looking to ride lake placid MTB in the future

the lussi and logger trail and craig woods networks are really nice. the beta folks have done some nice work up there and the folks at high peaks cyclery were really helpful!

some super sweet flowy singletrack, some technical rooty rocky stuff. all manageable on my 29er hardtail, and all a short ride from downtown lake placid.

i was able to sneak in two rides while on the family vaca. here’s my strava links

https://www.strava.com/activities/1773780166
https://www.strava.com/activities/1772487963

and a few pics

0A296F2F-D9B3-4549-AB9A-13A3DD2B7766.jpeg
247E7A8F-B373-4BDD-815B-E12438D8B779.jpeg
3DF9F61A-BAD0-4799-A8DB-BE6B0B0C8C7D.jpeg
DF856704-074A-4C61-8946-1270D177E166.jpeg

pygmypony

oh yeah, we also did mt marcy and the cascad/porter hikes with the fam, great stuff! we’d been to lake placid many times for winter vacations but this was our first summer time trip. will definitely return! thanks again for all the tips!

ADKmike

Just read an article at BIKEMAG.COM on this area. Sounds like this area is a must visit.

Yes, BikeMag did a really nice piece on BETA and the local area MTB scene. Things are really expanding up there in what was once a very restrictive region for MTB trails. Wilmington MTB Festival was this past weekend and it was a great event. I actually saw someone in a MTBNJ shirt walking around so I assume someone from here was up there. The trails are spreading across 4 main towns up there: Wilmington/Lake Placid/Saranac Lake/Elizabethtown

trener1

I am not the OP, but I was up in Lake Placid last December and Stayed at the Golden Arrow, pretty nice place with rooms right on the lake, lots of family with kids.

Top Bottom