UST Wheel Building

J-Dro

You guys just make it harder and harder...

Now the prebuilt American Classic wheelset is starting to look attractive. If only they had UST it would be easier, or harder. Not sure.

There is a slight weight penalty, and since you have been counting grams lately I'm not sure the 20mm is for you. IMHO, to see the benefits, you would have to hit places like Skyline Dr., Blue Mtn, Sourlands, etc. I think you would want a more race oriented wheel, no?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a slight weight penalty, and since you have been counting grams lately I'm not sure the 20mm is for you. IMHO, to see the benefits, you would have to hit places like Skyline Dr., Blue Mtn, Sourlands, etc. I think you would want a more race oriented wheel, no?

I guess it really depends. I'm not going to sell out for the absolute lightest wheel. If I feel the 20mm makes the bike handle better I would suck it up because that's ultimately going to make me go faster. But if the majority of the benefit is on slower pace technical, then yeah, doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Also just considering the pre-built Crossmax.

Aaaaaand of course I have to consider just sucking it up and getting the Chris King hub. But that's more for an "every-wheel" than a light racing wheel.

P

Phatbiker

I guess it really depends. I'm not going to sell out for the absolute lightest wheel. If I feel the 20mm makes the bike handle better I would suck it up because that's ultimately going to make me go faster. But if the majority of the benefit is on slower pace technical, then yeah, doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Also just considering the pre-built Crossmax.

Aaaaaand of course I have to consider just sucking it up and getting the Chris King hub. But that's more for an "every-wheel" than a light racing wheel.

my dos centavos.. a 20mm up front is tremedous for making a bike track a straight line in the rough stuff.. the only problem is that it usually means having 5+ inches of travel. too much for racing.. perfect for all mountain riding.. so, you will not recieve the full benefit of this feature if you race with it because the slight speed advantage you will have in the rough stuff will not offset the weight penalty. YOU'LL GO SLOWER.

ahh so many choices... isn't that what life is all about?

by the way.. i just ate a WHOLE FREAKEN BAG OF MILANO COOKIES!

phatter biker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ahh so many choices... isn't that what life is all about?

by the way.. i just ate a WHOLE FREAKEN BACK OF MILANO COOKIES!

Now talk about a choice! :D

On one hand I wish there was exactly 1 setup that I knew I needed. But all these little details come into play and make it harder to settle on any one. On the other hand it's a cool little learning experience on the details.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The crossmax ST is a hard wheelset to beat. Give it a good look.

j

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'd also support choosing Hope hubs from the standpoint of dollars vs. weight and durability.

As far as I know, the noise of Kings is due to the increased number of engagement points in the freehub. I'd doubt that it's producing any detrimental friction. I also stand among the group who believes that King stuff is still the best, if cost is not a factor.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My current lean is in the Crossmax direction. I just need to determine the true difference between ST and SLR. Some people say the Mavic hub will STB eventually but if I'm using this as a race wheel, well we're talking 10 races a year (right now, subject to change, yadda yadda yadda).

And then of course I'll still want to build a wheel eventually. So I'll probably keep an eye on eBay for King hubs. Ideally I'd like to find a 1-2 year old hub for much less than MSRP, then build it up with the 819 rim and aluminum nipples. Spoke details TBD. That would be more of an 'everyday' wheel that can take a beating and last forever.

At least that's where I am at 9:02 am this morning.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, so the SLR and the ST are both tubless or tubed, says the Mavic website (through Kirt pointing it out to me :)

SLR: 1520g total (685, 835)
ST: 1650g total (760, 890)

So your difference is 75g (2.7 oz) in the front, 55g (1.96 oz) in the rear. So is that worth the $250 difference in price...?

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
My current lean is in the Crossmax direction. I just need to determine the true difference between ST and SLR. Some people say the Mavic hub will STB eventually but if I'm using this as a race wheel, well we're talking 10 races a year (right now, subject to change, yadda yadda yadda).

And then of course I'll still want to build a wheel eventually. So I'll probably keep an eye on eBay for King hubs. Ideally I'd like to find a 1-2 year old hub for much less than MSRP, then build it up with the 819 rim and aluminum nipples. Spoke details TBD. That would be more of an 'everyday' wheel that can take a beating and last forever.

At least that's where I am at 9:02 am this morning.

Norm -

Not for nothing, but I have Mavic SLRs on one bike and King disc hubs with Mavic 819 rims on another and the difference weight-wise is huge in favor of the SLRs (less weight, of course).
I think you're right in considering the SLRs (or STs) for a race build and the Mavic/819s for everyday use (if you have that luxury).
The SLRs are not fragile though and I would think that if you're not hucking 6 footers they should hold up to everyday use as well.

scalpel6

OK, so the SLR and the ST are both tubless or tubed, says the Mavic website (through Kirt pointing it out to me :)

SLR: 1520g total (685, 835)
ST: 1650g total (760, 890)

So your difference is 75g (2.7 oz) in the front, 55g (1.96 oz) in the rear. So is that worth the $250 difference in price...?

Yes, with the amount of time you spend riding
Buy the SLRs you will not regret the purchase. Fast and bomb proof :2guns:

You can make these your everyday and race wheel they are that good

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm -

Not for nothing, but I have Mavic SLRs on one bike and King disc hubs with Mavic 819 rims on another and the difference weight-wise is huge in favor of the SLRs (less weight, of course).
I think you're right in considering the SLRs (or STs) for a race build and the Mavic/819s for everyday use (if you have that luxury).
The SLRs are not fragile though and I would think that if you're not hucking 6 footers they should hold up to everyday use as well.

Nice! Where do you live I want to steal both your wheelsets. :)

I'm not a hucker, I floundered off a 2 foot drop at CR and landed like a fish on a bike in the spring. 6 feet is entertaining.

In terms of race wheels it's also about tires. Not really keen on wasting the better tires on everyday rides. But point taken about the durability though.

Yes, with the amount of time you spend riding
Buy the SLRs you will not regret the purchase. Fast and bomb proof :2guns:

You can make these your everyday and race wheel they are that good

Nice. Any chance you guys are into lending me some money?

J-Dro

I'm not a hucker, I floundered off a 2 foot drop at CR and landed like a fish on a bike in the spring. 6 feet is entertaining.

:rofl: Thanks for that visual. I needed a good laugh this morning.:rofl:

Maurice

:rofl: Thanks for that visual. I needed a good laugh this morning.:rofl:

Ditto that, I'm still chuckling :)

I've got Crossmax STs for racing, because I couldn't afford the SLRs. It's still a step-up from my old XTs, which are still going strong BTW and have been relegated to workhorse duty.
I haven't trued the STs yet, and the XTs needed it only because a couple spokes snapped.

What about Industry9 while you're at it? You can get them in pink with pink spokes, and lace them to the rims of your choice.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Happy to entertain. If you're lucky you'll get to see me do this sometime.

Pink is so 2007. We're looking forward to 2008 when the colors of choice will be, apparently blue and buff, but I guess we're still sorta kicking that around. Plus, pink wheels are so permanent.

Top Bottom