UST Tire Questions and comparisons

kevindef

I have been using Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST tires with a little Stans for the past few years and have been quite happy with them. However, I would like to try something else and see if there is something better. I am looking at (all UST):

Kenda Kinetics 2.2
Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Kenda Blue Goove 2.1
Nokian NBX 2.3
Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35
Hutchinson Spider 2.1 or 2.3

I ride alot of North Jersey Trails, Ringwood, Round Valley, Allamuchy, Mahlon, Lewis Morris etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best UST tire for riding in these places? I've been leaning towards giving the Kenda Nevegal a try. How do these compare to the Fire XC Pro's. Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
kevindef said:
I have been using Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST tires with a little Stans for the past few years and have been quite happy with them. However, I would like to try something else and see if there is something better. I am looking at (all UST):

Kenda Kinetics 2.2
Kenda Nevegal 2.1
Kenda Blue Goove 2.1
Nokian NBX 2.3
Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35
Hutchinson Spider 2.1 or 2.3

I ride alot of North Jersey Trails, Ringwood, Round Valley, Allamuchy, Mahlon, Lewis Morris etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best UST tire for riding in these places? I've been leaning towards giving the Kenda Nevegal a try. How do these compare to the Fire XC Pro's. Thanks for your help!

Kevin

I have never used Fire XC's yet but they are on my list of tires to try. I have used the Nokian NBXs and totally hated them. I'm currently using the Kenda Nevegals and couldn't be happier.

Shaggz

A strong 7
using the toobed version of the fire xcs and like them a lot. the kenda that jay is running grabbed top tire choice in one of the rags, and seem to get psoitive resposnes from people i speak to - my $0.02...

kevindef

Just ordered the Nevegals

I had a hard time finding them, but I did find them at Universal Cycles for 32.99. Is there anywhere else? How about the price? Thanks.

Kevin

N

nopants

tire & wheel Questions

Out in the woods too long (tires) goin' bald / now that my rear has been spinnin - I too ponder change // Have been runnin WTB (Wilderness Trail) / Questions I have: are WHAT WIDTH (1.75 I've been - was riding 2.25 years ago - now seems like a tank tread) // TUBE or TUBE-LESS (I'm a runnin one wheel of each - spoke/tube in rear (softer) & ceramic-tubeless in front // Set me straight - I have evolved into this & want to modernize my rig.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I'm going bald, too. Will those tires help me? I agree with Carl - the panaracers are an awesome tire, with a great price tag. I think YTC100 is running the UST version, so you might want to drop him a PM for his review.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Just ordered the Hutch 2.1 UST Spiders. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try 'em this weekend. Always liked the IRC Serac USTs but I don't think they're manufactured anymore, but they were a great tire. :)

kevindef

Thanks for all the replies

Sounds like the Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST is a popular tire. As I said in my first post, I have been using them for several years and have always liked them. So you would think I should have no reason to change. It is just out of curiosity and just wondering how other tires match up. The ONLY complaint I have with the Panaracers, which is probably going to be an issue with every tire out there, is that because I am using Stans, they do deteriorate faster from the inside out. The rear tire after about 1100 miles, besides showing some wear, starts to show some visible signs on the outside that something may be leaking out. You can start to see some spots developing. I pushed a set this past summer to the extent that the rear tire was just starting to bulge a bit. I have never seen any problems with my front tires. But when I take them off you can, especially the rear, see the signs that Stans is eating away at the tire from the inside out. Even though the front tire appears to be OK, I will still change both tires at the same time. Usually after approximately 1300 miles, maybe less. I have thought about doing away with the Stans all together, but it does seem to help, we especially with Lew Mo. Many thorns there with all that Barberry growing out of control. It has also prevented any kind of air leaks as well. I also use the XM819 rims, so a UST tire probably doesn't need Stans. I think the next time I change tires (probably next week) I will try to go without the Stans and see how things go. I use the Stans Valves so adding sealant isn't a problem. It just seems like I go through tires way to fast. I usually go through 3 sets of tires per year. Just seems like I should get more out of a set.

Kevin

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
hmmmm, I didn't know stans did anything to the inside of your tire. Makes me wonder about having my bike sit all winter with the stans in one spot. All I know is that before I change these tires, I will be testing stans out with a knife. ;)

-jay

Top Bottom