User friendly route at MD?

Nickbee

Just went to MD for the 1st time. Didn’t do your “beginner friendly” route yet as I am saving that to do with the GF on Sat. I parked at the 1st lot off RT 15 and did the yellow loop. THE WRONG FRICKEN WAY. My guess is it would be more enjoyable clockwise… But it was still fun…

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Just went to MD for the 1st time. Didn’t do your “beginner friendly” route yet as I am saving that to do with the GF on Sat. I parked at the 1st lot off RT 15 and did the yellow loop. THE WRONG FRICKEN WAY. My guess is it would be more enjoyable clockwise… But it was still fun…

Rode it counter-clockwise eh? Up the Devil's Staircase and up The Wall. Yeah, it is way more funner the other way :D

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kinda sux that the beaver brook trail is a hiking trail and no bikes are allowed. I did ride it once from the top off the wall down to the 4 way intersection. Crazy technical. I look at alot of that trail and think "there is no way this could be ridden on a bike" But im often suprised at what people are actually able to clear. If that section could be built up a little here and there, it would be killer.

Nickbee, what time do you normally get there? I like to go after work and get there around 5:30. If you ever want a tour, im pretty sure I know every trail in the place now.

Nickbee

Kinda sux that the beaver brook trail is a hiking trail and no bikes are allowed. I did ride it once from the top off the wall down to the 4 way intersection. Crazy technical. I look at alot of that trail and think "there is no way this could be ridden on a bike" But im often suprised at what people are actually able to clear. If that section could be built up a little here and there, it would be killer.

Nickbee, what time do you normally get there? I like to go after work and get there around 5:30. If you ever want a tour, im pretty sure I know every trail in the place now.

Devil's staircase is a VERY good name for that section!!!! I would like to try it downhill one day.

Utah, I will take you up on that one evening next week. As long as you can put up with my slow self on the climbs... :rolleyes:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

The only trail that isn't open to bikes at Mahlon is Highlands Trail. The trail to the west from the top of the wall isn't Beaver Brook, it is Highlands. Beaver Brook Trail runs from just past the creek crossing near the bottom of the wall, crosses yellow near the top of Stone Gate, then heads south of the park.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Beaver Brook is labeled hikers only right as it crosses the yellow from the top of Stone Gate. I'm relieved to hear it is open to bikers. Beaver Brook is techy but very rideable. It needs no building up and i hope it doesn't get it because it is the most technical trail and it is good to always have a challenge. The Beaver Brook reminds me of the bottom of Rattlesnake at Wawayanda.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only trail that isn't open to bikes at Mahlon is Highlands Trail. The trail to the west from the top of the wall isn't Beaver Brook, it is Highlands. Beaver Brook Trail runs from just past the creek crossing near the bottom of the wall, crosses yellow near the top of Stone Gate, then heads south of the park.

Ok I got the names mixed up then. But highlands trail is the one on the right side if you are standing at the top of the wall looking down it. That is closed to bikes right?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Beaver Brook is labeled hikers only right as it crosses the yellow from the top of Stone Gate. I'm relieved to hear it is open to bikers. Beaver Brook is techy but very rideable. It needs no building up and i hope it doesn't get it because it is the most technical trail and it is good to always have a challenge. The Beaver Brook reminds me of the bottom of Rattlesnake at Wawayanda.

If there is anyone who can clear that entire trail (from the of of the wall down to the 4 way intersection), I would love to see it. I rode most of it, but there are some rock gardens that I would love to see someone get though. No saying its impossible, but I would love to see how its done.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
If there is anyone who can clear that entire trail (from the of of the wall down to the 4 way intersection), I would love to see it. I rode most of it, but there are some rock gardens that I would love to see someone get though. No saying its impossible, but I would love to see how its done.

Sean (anrothar) can probably do it...but he lives in Alaska now and 'probably wouldn't do it because it is Highlands...

idbrian

Crotch Rot

I have cleared Beaver Brook, going down, but i don't think that is what you are talking about. The hardest part of Beaver Brook for me is there is a diagonal log that is a guaranteed slip that goes into a pretty difficult rock garden. Neither the rock garden or log would be difficult on their own but it is a tough combo for me.

Robin

I hiked at MD today, on the Yellow Trail from Rock Rill (down the "staircase" and near black and yellow trail) - and wow...looked at the map provided below, is this a more "rider friendly" (meaning, more beginner?). I can handle LM/Deer Park/KVSP - but wondering if MD is over my head right now...

Okay, this one will give you a workout, have a *few* technical sections (hopefully not more than you want), and will be easy-ish to navigate. If you're beyond novice and can deal with some rocky trails, you should be fine.

There are a few things worth pointing out, though...

• At then end of Cascade Trail, when you get to the "T", you'll be going right across the creek. The first intersection, which isn't really on the map, you want to go left. If you go straight, you'll end up on Sparta Mountain road.
  • Shortly after that left, you'll start going down a fairly rocky hill. Watch for a small bit of single track to the right (it isn't on the map). Take it. It is a by-pass to what I call "The Snake Pit", which is a swampy crappy bit of trail. It will take you up a hill, back to double track. Go left (right will also take you to Sparta Mtn Road). I've noted this location on the map with "Swampy By Pass".
  • After you're back on the double track, watch for a trail that goes hard right. It is the Y on the map after you get back on the trail from the swampy bypass. It is easy to miss. If you go straight, you'll still get to the same place (see map), but you might not have as much fun :)
  • When you get to Weldon Road for the SECOND time, you'll see a trail entry on the other side of the road, DON'T TAKE IT. It is not on the map and isn't the one I mean. Go right on Weldon and you'll see another trail entry 1/4 mile or so down weldon near a curve on Weldon (be careful crossing there, btw).
I think those tips and paying attention to the map should get you back safe 'n sound.

At MD, always remember what side of Weldon road you're on and be sure you stay east of the rail bed. If you do that, getting yourself "un-lost" by finding the rail bed, Sparta Mtn Road, or Weldon Rd is pretty easy.

Stocky

If you can handle KVSP , you should be able to handle Mahlon.

My buddy and I will be there EARLY tomorrow morning , wheels down at 6am .
You're welcome to join us.
Easy , fun route , very casual pace, plenty of stops to catch MY breath and suck wind .

Early morning rides get us home before the wife can even complain that we were gone . Also much cooler in the mornings.

PM me if ya wanna join us.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think MD is a step above KVSP. Not saying you can or can't handle it but KVSP is not terribly technical. MD can be.

But until you try, you haven't tried.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions