User friendly route at MD?

Nickbee

Hey guys and gals! This is my 1st post and I’m looking forward to some good info I can learn from this site. Over the last year I’ve dusted off my GT hardtail and have done some maintenance / upgrades to it. I would consider myself somewhere in between a novice / intermediate rider. I only recently found out about MD and it’s only 10 mins from where I live! I’ve downloaded the map but can someone recommend a user friendly route for my 1st few times there? So far I’ve ridden Lewis Morris and Kittatinny this year. But MD is much closer!

Thanks! :D

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Hey guys and gals! This is my 1st post and I’m looking forward to some good info I can learn from this site. Over the last year I’ve dusted off my GT hardtail and have done some maintenance / upgrades to it. I would consider myself somewhere in between a novice / intermediate rider. I only recently found out about MD and it’s only 10 mins from where I live! I’ve downloaded the map but can someone recommend a user friendly route for my 1st few times there? So far I’ve ridden Lewis Morris and Kittatinny this year. But MD is much closer!

Thanks! :D

I guess I need to get a better feel for what you mean by "User Friendly". User friendly from a technical perspective, an exertion (climbing, etc) perspective, or navigation perspective? All the above? And 'bout how long of a route are you looking for (think time, not necessarily distance). Mahlon is a different animal from LM and KVSP...

Nickbee

I would say easy navigation without too much technical stuff... Maybe a 1-2 hour ride? Exertion is good too!

Thanks!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I would say easy navigation without too much technical stuff... Maybe a 1-2 hour ride? Exertion is good too!

Thanks!

Okay, this one will give you a workout, have a *few* technical sections (hopefully not more than you want), and will be easy-ish to navigate. If you're beyond novice and can deal with some rocky trails, you should be fine.

There are a few things worth pointing out, though...

• At then end of Cascade Trail, when you get to the "T", you'll be going right across the creek. The first intersection, which isn't really on the map, you want to go left. If you go straight, you'll end up on Sparta Mountain road.
  • Shortly after that left, you'll start going down a fairly rocky hill. Watch for a small bit of single track to the right (it isn't on the map). Take it. It is a by-pass to what I call "The Snake Pit", which is a swampy crappy bit of trail. It will take you up a hill, back to double track. Go left (right will also take you to Sparta Mtn Road). I've noted this location on the map with "Swampy By Pass".
  • After you're back on the double track, watch for a trail that goes hard right. It is the Y on the map after you get back on the trail from the swampy bypass. It is easy to miss. If you go straight, you'll still get to the same place (see map), but you might not have as much fun :)
  • When you get to Weldon Road for the SECOND time, you'll see a trail entry on the other side of the road, DON'T TAKE IT. It is not on the map and isn't the one I mean. Go right on Weldon and you'll see another trail entry 1/4 mile or so down weldon near a curve on Weldon (be careful crossing there, btw).
I think those tips and paying attention to the map should get you back safe 'n sound.

At MD, always remember what side of Weldon road you're on and be sure you stay east of the rail bed. If you do that, getting yourself "un-lost" by finding the rail bed, Sparta Mtn Road, or Weldon Rd is pretty easy.

Attachments

• northstuff.jpg
    northstuff.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 321

Nickbee

thanks! With this routed map, your directions and a compass I should not get too lost!

I should be able to ride it this Thu. I'll let you know how it goes...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
thanks! With this routed map, your directions and a compass I should not get too lost!

I should be able to ride it this Thu. I'll let you know how it goes...

w/a compass and knowing what side of Weldon your on, you're golden.

Good luck...if my wrist wasn't still sore (from my SS-palooza crash 3 weeks ago!) I'd give you a tour...

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
not to derail, but along the same lines - what's a good route to hit as much technical stuff as possible? just hit everything that isn't on the previous loop?

walter

Fourth Party
not to derail, but along the same lines - what's a good route to hit as much technical stuff as possible? just hit everything that isn't on the previous loop?

Come on out on the 26th of July, Im not saying that I am going to be there or anything, but Fogerson will take you on a great tour of this place. As he previously mentioned he will not be taking the group to "all" the good stuff, but if people are interested maybe a b group of sorts.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Come on out on the 26th of July, Im not saying that I am going to be there or anything, but Fogerson will take you on a great tour of this place. As he previously mentioned he will not be taking the group to "all" the good stuff, but if people are interested maybe a b group of sorts.

thanks for the heads up. if its a casual pace i'd be down... but it'd have to be casual, 'cause i'm the worst on group rides - especially climbing - like slower than snot. that's dry. in a tissue. on the floor of a car. in traffic.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

Not exactly...

Staying within the park, and off trails we're not s'posed to ride, this is would be a fairly challenging loop, I think...

This route starts at the picnic area, goes down The Wall, up Beaver Brook, then you can either run Stone Gate clock-wise and go UP Devil's Staircase (a tough technical climb) or go DOWN Devil's Staircase and run Stone Gate CCW (strong legs and lungs required). Then, run Beaver Brook again in the other direction, UP The Wall, left down Yellow, across to Weldon, over to RV area, make way over to Cascade, through Anrothars Alley, east towards Sparta Mtn Road, loop around and hit part of Anrothars Alley AGAIN, go west towards rail bed, south on rail bed to white, up white, turn right before getting to High Point, take single track shortly after that turn, run 3-stone loop CW (yeah, that's right...'very interesting climb), back over to RV area, back to picnic area.

Not exactly my idea of fun, but certainly other folk's who lurk here would enjoy this route (like Ryan, for instance:rolleyes:).

Attachments

• md_tougher.jpg
    md_tougher.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 248

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Not exactly...

Staying within the park, and off trails we're not s'posed to ride, this is would be a fairly challenging loop, I think...

This route starts at the picnic area, goes down The Wall, up Beaver Brook, then you can either run Stone Gate clock-wise and go UP Devil's Staircase (a tough technical climb) or go DOWN Devil's Staircase and run Stone Gate CCW (strong legs and lungs required). Then, run Beaver Brook again in the other direction, UP The Wall, left down Yellow, across to Weldon, over to RV area, make way over to Cascade, through Anrothars Alley, east towards Sparta Mtn Road, loop around and hit part of Anrothars Alley AGAIN, go west towards rail bed, south on rail bed to white, up white, turn right before getting to High Point, take single track shortly after that turn, run 3-stone loop CW (yeah, that's right...'very interesting climb), back over to RV area, back to picnic area.

Not exactly my idea of fun, but certainly other folk's who lurk here would enjoy this route (like Ryan, for instance:rolleyes:).

this is awesome! BIG BIG THANKS!!!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Stone Gate is basically a Devils Staircase reroute. I haven't taken that climb since i first noticed Stone Gate. That is punishment to hit both in a row. And running up Beaver Brook is the hardest thing you can do in that park that i've seen. Actually i have never been able to do that singletrack climb if you head right out of the Weldon lot across the street that goes up to the utility fire road of WMA. Those two short rock climbs are really tough.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Stone Gate is basically a Devils Staircase reroute. I haven't taken that climb since i first noticed Stone Gate. That is punishment to hit both in a row. And running up Beaver Brook is the hardest thing you can do in that park that i've seen. Actually i have never been able to do that singletrack climb if you head right out of the Weldon lot across the street that goes up to the utility fire road of WMA. Those two short rock climbs are really tough.

oh boy... sounds brutal. maybe i can play round with this to take those real techy sections down versus up...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

Leaving MD and running the WMA that direction is tough. I've seen folks clean the second short rock climb, but not the first.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Not to knock Fogersons monster route. I may be in the minority but i like to leave the lot and go way down the fireroad South on the map. It gives a good warm up with a 5% grade uphill. Hit Stone Gate going up, head over and take a left onto Beaver Creek take a right at the next singletrack intersection you come to, take a left at the T and head up The Wall Bypass and then head over to the other side of the street to the top of Cascade. I'd skip out on the WMA and head back to the lot on the rail trail. I have yet to go over to WMA but definitely will on my next run at MD, because i can handle longer runs than i used to be able to. The reason i suggested skipping out on WMA is that this will keep your mileage at about 10-12 miles and you will have hit up a majority of the good stuff. It is also somewhat easy to not get lost. The only thing is you will need to decide which route to take from the bottom of cascade back to the rail. Lately i've been heading through some green and orange routes that go through some awesome technical sections but cannot describe what i do as i'm surprised i don't get lost.

I should also state that i'm a fan of technical uphill sections versus down. I would love it if it tech up and down, but i've always been partial to the challenge of techy uphill.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Not to knock Fogersons monster route. I may be in the minority but i like to leave the lot and go way down the fireroad South on the map. It gives a good warm up with a 5% grade uphill. Hit Stone Gate going up, head over and take a left onto Beaver Creek take a right at the next singletrack intersection you come to, take a left at the T and head up The Wall Bypass and then head over to the other side of the street to the top of Cascade. I'd skip out on the WMA and head back to the lot on the rail trail. I have yet to go over to WMA but definitely will on my next run at MD, because i can handle longer runs than i used to be able to. The reason i suggested skipping out on WMA is that this will keep your mileage at about 10-12 miles and you will have hit up a majority of the good stuff. It is also somewhat easy to not get lost. The only thing is you will need to decide which route to take from the bottom of cascade back to the rail. Lately i've been heading through some green and orange routes that go through some awesome technical sections but cannot describe what i do as i'm surprised i don't get lost.

Heh, heh, I wouldn't ride the route I posted :D The premise was the most technical/nastiest route I could bolt up inside the confines of MDR...which in my mind means minimizing the easy stuff.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep

I should also state that i'm a fan of technical uphill sections versus down. I would love it if it tech up and down, but i've always been partial to the challenge of techy uphill.
This is the outside of my inside/outside loop from the picnic area w/ WMA included. Glad to see someone else climbing Stonegate

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I like the Wall climb even more. Must admit that the part of the stone gate climb where you have to make a quick left, go up the rock and make a quick right onto slickrock has gotten me everytime. Haven't been able to pass that without a retry yet. Same goes for the diagonal log into the rock garden section going down Beaver Brook.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions