Used car advice

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Both the 2.0 and 3.0 are great motors, especially if the 2.0 is one of the newer ones with the port and direct injection. If you can swing the 3.0, get it. Power is smooth and much.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it just me or do those Audi SUVs have hardly any room inside? They seemed super cramped to me. I felt like I could fit more stuff in my wife's old sportwagon.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Has the addition of the cold start injector reduced carbon build up?

They claim that they added it to help efficiency under partial load and low rpm conditions. The real reason it’s there is to wash the intake valves with fuel. All of the Japanese mfg’ers are doing this too. BMW needs to get on this since their motors are notorious for carbon buildup. Companies like GM and Porsche have figured out how to time ignition, valve opening, and crankcase breathing to not require it.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They claim that they added it to help efficiency under partial load and low rpm conditions. The real reason it’s there is to wash the intake valves with fuel. All of the Japanese mfg’ers are doing this too. BMW needs to get on this since their motors are notorious for carbon buildup. Companies like GM and Porsche have figured out how to time ignition, valve opening, and crankcase breathing to not require it.

Does my 2015 GTI have this issue?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
As does my 2011. I got the carbon cleanup once, but didn’t really notice a big diffference. It’s been 30k miles, car is running good, I change the oil every 5k. I’m sure it’s there, but when the performance degrades over a long period of time, you don’t notice it. The 3.0 supercharged for some reason doesn’t build it up as much, and on the new Q7 I even saw what looked like a factory catch can under the hood. Can anyone verify this?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Redline Speedworx will happily walnut blast any DI motor. I figure I'll do that at about 60K on the M2 if I still have it (I won't).

grilledcheeseking

Does my 2015 GTI have this issue?
Plan to get it cleaned every 60k. My wife had a 2.0t Wolfsburg 6mt bought new. I enjoyed driving it and was sad to see it go because lots of memories, but I will not miss the heartache and frustration that went with maintaining it. She needs an appliance not a project.

SpartaBard

I think @SpartaBard has had a couple q5’s. You still here Bard?

The 2.0 is a great engine. All things being equal I’d get the 2.0 over the 3.0 and do an APR ECU flash. Power should end up similar. I think the 2.0 is considerably lighter.
Yeah, Hi!

I have had two Q5s, a 2009 3.2 and a 2016 TDI. The 3.0 TDI on the Q5 is the same engine as the diesel Q7, but you would be hard pressed to find a diesel these days. I just drove a 2.0T as a loaner while my car was in for service, and found it a bit underpowered but otherwise was great.

Top Bottom