UPS lately

MikeyBikey2000

I've had no less than 4 packages go missing - 3 from Amazon, one from a pets place. Amazon looks at the tracking says eh they must be lost and refunds everything lol. Anyone else experiencing this? is Jimmy's crew boosting UPS trucks?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
iv had issues with amazon local deliveries, but not UPS, amazon local is so bad at being on time (or showing up at all) that i actually breathe a sigh of relief when stuff is shipped USPS (5 packages in the last 5 weeks late or lost by amzl)

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday I had my first amazon delivery - it even shows you a map of where the driver is and how many stops they have.

yea which is kinda cool, but when it takes them 2.5 hours to deliver 10 packages in front of yours and they are within a 15 minute WALK of your house it gets a bit crazy.

one piece crank

Be midful when placing orders, Amazon has shifted their delivery terms on some items. It may still show free "Prime" 2-day delivery but the actual ship date may slide, so "2-day" translates into a week or more (I'm not refering to out-of-stock or items with clearly stated future ship dates.).

MikeyBikey2000

Be midful when placing orders, Amazon has shifted their delivery terms on some items. It may still show free "Prime" 2-day delivery but the actual ship date may slide, so "2-day" translates into a week or more (I'm not refering to out-of-stock or items with clearly stated future ship dates.).

Yes I noticed that too. One of the whole points of having Prime is to get 2 day shipping.. but if you call and complain, they give you $10 gift card.

szymon

I've called a couple times in the last couple weeks to complain, they say prime 2 day shipping but it turns out to be 3-4 days then what's the point of paying for prime. Almost every time when I track it shows its on the truck and delivery today but never comes, but it seems more of a problem with there delivery vans not ups. Also has anyone noticed amazon warehouse going down the drain, in the last 2 months or so it's been the wrong product being sent a lot of times. Last week I ordered 2 chains and 2 chains came but not even close to what they were suppose to be.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Amazon told me it's now "2 days from when it ships." WTF is that? They used to wait to ship it till the night before and then overnight it just so it got here in time.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Amazon told me it's now "2 days from when it ships." WTF is that? They used to wait to ship it till the night before and then overnight it just so it got here in time.

i have run into this a couple times, but it has always been with an amazon seller (not amazon directly) and it was listed as prime eligible but mentioned something about processing time of 1-x days before shipping.

the estimated delivery dates for them at checkout have always reflected shipping and processing time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was just telling @pearl, this is when USPS tracking starts to get alittle wonky. That being said, it has not affected delivery times, it just you don't know it at the local PO until the delivery day.

Two weeks ago, I noticed Amazon has a shipping shanty town set up in a local mall parking lot. Very interesting some of the way they are adapting to the increased load.

Personally, I have not had any issues with Prime delivery recently.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
As a side note, a good friend of mine recently took on a part time job in the Amazon fulfillment center. He says it's hell on earth for working conditions.

Low wages, no music or headphones allowed, very few breaks and short ones. He said most people don't last a week. They see about a 80% turnover rate monthly.

Most other people who work there are like him, out of work after years in a in a highly specialized job that has vanished. He's miserable.

Basically he urges anyone to think twice about shopping with amazon.

One doesn't need to look very far to see the localized impact of Amazon. I'm fairly biased as I own a small, independent retail store and I know so many others who do the same.
I am sad to see the downswing or early end in local retail. I like interacting with a local expert and actually touching, feeling, smelling something before I make a purchase. In the last few years, i've made an effort when contemplating any purchase to look for super durable, long lasting products that will be around for years. The whole amazon concept is gross to me.

JDurk

As a side note, a good friend of mine recently took on a part time job in the Amazon fulfillment center. He says it's hell on earth for working conditions.

Low wages, no music or headphones allowed, very few breaks and short ones. He said most people don't last a week. They see about a 80% turnover rate monthly.

Most other people who work there are like him, out of work after years in a in a highly specialized job that has vanished. He's miserable.

Basically he urges anyone to think twice about shopping with amazon.

One doesn't need to look very far to see the localized impact of Amazon. I'm fairly biased as I own a small, independent retail store and I know so many others who do the same.
I am sad to see the downswing or early end in local retail. I like interacting with a local expert and actually touching, feeling, smelling something before I make a purchase. In the last few years, i've made an effort when contemplating any purchase to look for super durable, long lasting products that will be around for years. The whole amazon concept is gross to me.
I was hoping you would chime in here. Not an Amazon fan either.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I was hoping you would chime in here. Not an Amazon fan either.

Some may deny it, but amazon is killing the local bike shop. We’ve seen somewhere between 25-30 shops go under in the philly/ NY market in the last two years and more are to come.

We’ve seen growth because of these shops going away, but that’s not how I’d prefer to gain it.

No everyone values what independent bike shops do, but if you do, I ask that you think about throwing a bone to your local shop a bit more often. (Not just mine). Sure, you can get most things a bit cheaper on amazon, but know they are eroding your local culture. I don’t see how you could deny this.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The real issue with all of this is that everything is so goddamn expensive. So we all have to make choices about where we spend our money. This morning as an example, I drove to Home Depot which is 6 miles away and it took me almost 2 hours because of shitty morning traffic. I had to go there as opposed to my local hardware store because the local store does not sell mixed gas for the leaf blower. They do not sell gas because they do not sell leaf blowers and other power equipment. I bought a few other things while I was there which I could have gotten at the local shop, but I was at HD. Frankly I would have bought the gas online if I thought to look but assume that they cannot ship gas.

Ok what is the point? Eating 2 hours with this trip has fucked my day. I would love to spend my time with humans but life simply does not allow that very often. Just as a practical matter we all have to balance where we spend our time as much as our money.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
why do you pay the rediculous prices for pre-mixed gas? buy the damn 2 stroke oil (or hell even straighth saw30wt motor oil) and mix it yourself, the special 2 stroke oil costs the same per qt (last time i checked) as the pre-mixed stuff and you can make something like 10 or 15 gallons of mixed fuel with it, for 30 seconds of time to measure it.

savings are not nothing. ill use my case as an example, i use 4 gallons (maybe a bit more, but ill use a round number) of mixed fuel a year (standard 50:1 mix)
at home depot that is 19.97/gal or $80 a year in fuel.

now for the same amount of fuel i spend
$2.50 (approx)/gal on gas ($10)
stabil (so it doesnt go bad, also an ethanol treatment) $6.98 treats 25 gallons ($.28/gal) ($1.12)
2 stroke oil $12.97/pint (makes just over 6 gallons) ($2.11/gal) ($8.44)
my time for mixing : 60 seconds (ill be generous) at w/e rate your salary is but likely <$1/minute

soo lets add 10+8.44+1.12=$19.56 (23.56 if you want to charge for your time)

i just saved $56/year over buying the pre-mix fuel . . . thats not pocket change

Top Bottom