Upgrading (someone else)

You find a racer way past the mandatory amount of points for an upgrade, do you:

• Let it be

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Subtly mention a hypothetical at the start

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Throw them under the bus

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
Some people (generally from the road racing world) are under the impression that they need X amount of races before they are allowed to upgrade. Where in cx and MTB, at these levels, 1 or 2 good races is all it takes to upgrade.
I thought for CX, if you had a USAC licnese of X it translated to Y?

For example, since I had a Cat 1 MTB, I could have raced Cat 3 CX no questions asked. Eventually I was upgraded automatically from it. I assume that still exists, just need to give these peeps some knowledge.

WHAT ABOUT THE GUY I RACED AGAINST THIS WEEKEND IN CAT 4/5? He won and someone said "Looks like we will be seeing you in the CAT 3/4 race later today" he replied "NO, I'm only CAT 5"

Check cross results he won the 4 races he entered this year, all CAT 4/5 races. Guess he just really like medals and swag!

Not a chance I'll be beating this guy, this season, but I'll be moving to CAT 3 after this weekend anyway.

Ha that looks terrible. Would be fun to run into him next weekend and bust his balls while he's racing and you can heckle the hell out of him BECAUSE YOU'RE RACING A FASTER CATEGORY.
If you hang out with @The Heckler enough you will do just fine as a Cat 3.
9015057.jpg

i guarantee it

Ha that looks terrible.
Yea, it really does. He was the talk of the parking lot haha

I'm just stoked to keep riding hard and progressing. Riding with @The Heckler has made me push harder than I thought possible. His soft pedal night is tempo for me, I just have to plan accordingly for workouts with him!

I thought for CX, if you had a USAC licnese of X it translated to Y?

You are allowed to use it but don't have to. But this is a binary thing: either you take it or you do not.

Example -> a MTB pro wanted to get an auto-upgrade a few years ago. The USAC official said fine, but you go straight to cat 1 in cx. MTB rider said 'well, how about 3?" USAC official said either take the auto-upgrade or start at the bottom and work up.

Things may have changed since then, IDK.

WHAT ABOUT THE GUY I RACED AGAINST THIS WEEKEND IN CAT 4/5? He won and someone said "Looks like we will be seeing you in the CAT 3/4 race later today" he replied "NO, I'm only CAT 5"

Check cross results he won the 4 races he entered this year, all CAT 4/5 races. Guess he just really like medals and swag!

Not a chance I'll be beating this guy, this season, but I'll be moving to CAT 3 after this weekend anyway.

Rob Warrenfeltz • Racing Age: 28 • Category: 5

Ok, fine, he starts a s a Cat 5, wins Cross of the Corn and Granogue, both had 30+ racers... He's now a Cat 4. Then he wins Town Hall and Quaker, again, both have 30+ racers. He's a Cat 3 sandbagging it as a Cat 5? Whadafuq?

Whadafuq?

It was only his 10th race at Quaker City, so he damn well better have upgraded now! It looks like he from Central PA so he shouldn't give us too much trouble in NJ. He's also not registered for the 4/5's either day at Charm City, both of which are full or for Hippo or Caffeinated.

Hopefully he was only talking shit, otherwise he should get the Coors light shower.

Thanks for the feedback erryone. Appreciate it. Let's see how this one plays out.

Nope. Too passive aggressive.
Did have someone notify the officials though.

Nothing happened.

I have a question about upgrading. How are points awarded in races in races with mixed fields, i.e. MAC races with a combined 4/5 field?

USAC's cyclo-cross upgrade webpage refers to points being awarded based on field size with no mention as to the category of riders in the race but then also references that cyclo-cross upgrades are awarded similarly to road upgrades (where there's a delineation in field size).

Example from the USAC road upgrades webpage on mixed field races:
If the field contains mixed categories (e.g., cat 3-4), then the number of starters is the number of riders that are the same category or higher as the person requesting the upgrade (e.g., in a cat 3-4 combined field, all riders count for a 4-3 upgrade, but only the 3’s count for a 3-2 upgrade.

I'm confused!

A real world example and the reason I'm asking: I finished 4th of 66th at Whirlybird 4/5 race this weekend, according to the USAC results there were 36 category 4 finishers. Does this count as 3 points or 2 points?

Thanks for the help, I promise never to sand bag.

Not sure what the officially official answer, but crossresults shows 3 points for you for Whirley

Yeah, crossresults says I have 9 vs USAC says I have 6, hence the question.

I have a hard time trusting USAC with internet things after the great password scandal of 2016 but for better or worse they're the gatekeeper.

Yeah, crossresults says I have 9 vs USAC says I have 6, hence the question.

I have a hard time trusting USAC with internet things after the great password scandal of 2016 but for better or worse they're the gatekeeper.

This is why I can't log on! It won't even let me change my password. It keeps giving me a server error. This has been going on for a few weeks.

Cool. Thanks. Never looked at that before.
Looks like USAC is splitting the field into two groups. At the end of the day, they're the ones that do the upgrades, so I'd go by their numbers.

Back
Top Bottom