Upgrade: Single front chainring?

mattfish11

Currently have a 2 gear front chainring - looking to go to a single. A couple reasons here: 1st, hardly ever use my smaller gear. 2nd - I believe my front derailleur is worn out and dropping down randomly (even after multiple adjustments) 3rd - cleaner look and feel on the bike overall.

For those who have done this - was it worth it? Are there any downsides that I'm not thinking about?

What would something like this cost for my shop to do this conversion?

Thanks!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Which parks do you ride? What gearing do you have at the cassette?
Just because you are ok with a certain gearing in one park.... does not necessarily mean it will be ok at a different park.
For example, I "think" I would be ok with a 36t chainring at 6MR but I would definitely die at HM
If you will stick with the current parks you ride, I guess just changing out to a single would suffice.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would think the chain drop is from cross chaining (large front-large back) created a skewed chainline. That and a bit of wearing. The front der is probably too high off the chainring too, otherwise it should just rub

The strategy most are using is to go with a wide range cassette in the back and single up front which is more centered for better chainline. Pick your front based on the big cog in the back, your fitness, and the hardest place you'll ride. (Easy to switch too)

Price for conversion? Same number of cogs means same shifter/der saves $$
Single specific crank, chain, cassette, new cable. Pick your component level and add 90 minutes labor if nothing is frozen together ???
Maybe new bottom bracket since it is apart?

Will let the wrenches throw a number at ya.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I haven't ridden a front ring on the mtb in 15 years. The new cassette wide gear ranges are great, but you can get away with out them and there are a variety of chain rings that will likely work with your existing crank. It is recommended to have a clutch style rear derailleur and a narrow wide chainring, which the combination will stop most chain drops.

You can also get away with a chain guide, or a bashguard / minimal chainguide thing. Or, use you front derailluer as a chain guide. By using the front derailluer and your existing middle ring, the only thing you may need to buy is shorter chainring bolts.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The cheapest way is tear off the front derailleur and add a front chain guide.

Ideally, you'd get a new reat derailleur with a clutch (prevents drops) assuming you don't already have one.

If you never use the small chain ring in front , then there is no downside.

Top Bottom