Union carpenters

jdgang

My wife works for a custom cabinet company that does Fragrance counters installs across the U.S. and Canada, mostly in shopping malls. Depending on the city/state they have to use Union carpenters for the installs. Does anybody know if they hire NJ union carpenters or have some of their current people join the union, will they be able to work in other states to satisfy the union requirements?

giff06

Generally depends on the Local agreement. In some situations like this it could be 1 from the shop/ 1 from the hall and sometimes the shop is allowed to provide supervision only. Also depends on how many are out of work at the hall. It may have changed . I am a retired union pipefitter/welder that ran a lot of work both big and small. So this is only an opinion as I have been retired for 8 years and each trade has different stipulations as far as their work jurisdiction. Mechanical trades are different than structural trades.
Ed

jdgang

And by "join the union" I mean the local NJ union, not the local union in the state/city they are doing the work.

giff06

Yes UnionRider475. A member of 331 then local 9 after the mergers. A 35 year active member, retired in 2006. Some of the 475 members I know were/are Jim Fay(RIP), Mike Dolan, Gregg Ritchings and Carl Palzer.
See ya out there! Brother....
Ed

UnionRider475

Knew Jim and know all the others too . Gregg and Carl retired recently as well . My dad worked for a local 9 contractor for the last 10 years of his career - Ever hear of George McGowen Co. ? I don't know if they're still around or not .

Top Bottom