Ummmm ... noooooooo ...

Funny, I never looked at the graph before. This was tracked on my Garmin Vioactive watch. After my walk /run around her development I jumped in the pool for a dip and got caught in one of those Florida Storms. I then jumped out of pool to get phone to take some cool pictures of said downpour, that would account for me getting back up again.. I guess the GPS under water goes nuts..

View attachment 64155

Actually, that and the storm explain it. Most GPS systems calculate elevation based on a changes in air pressure. A heavy storm raises pressure, as does beig under water - together, they gave your GPS unit the impression that you were walking through Death Valley.

Actually, that and the storm explain it. Most GPS systems calculate elevation based on a changes in air pressure. A heavy storm raises pressure, as does beig under water - together, they gave your GPS unit the impression that you were walking through Death Valley.
Yeah, wildly inaccurate during low pressure

The percent grade is just the rise/run. Picture everything as a right triangle - the bottom is the run, the opposite side is the rise. So in your case, we have:

View attachment 64148

CORRECTION: One quick clarifying point - I made a slight mistake here. This is not exact, but it's actually pretty close. What you actually traveled was the hypotenuse for 3.6 miles - because you were gaining elevation as you went. But that yields more or less the same results. The "correct" triangle would be:

View attachment 64149

SO it's actually 12.5%

you made my brain go way back...no need to back out the run (although most people would get the algebra way cause pythagoras.)

=tan(arcsine(2349/19008))
12.45% ish

i'm going to bed early after that one. :D

i see you took the arctan up there to get to the angle....
these numbers differ slightly out in the 1000ths spot. not sure why.

good exercise.

there will be a test at the first short track! so pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom