Two things that suck this winter(there are others but these bother me).

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
WTF am I getting head colds every other week? I get sick once a year or less usually. I have had three head colds in the last 2 months. Maybe I'm just running my system down working and training too much, maybe it's just one of those years or perhaps it's bothering me more tonight because I am sick and had a wisdom tooth yanked today. Uggghhh.
Number two. My older brother has always been someone I looked up to. He quit drinking when he was 22 and went in the marines. He did 8 years active duty and has been a reserve for the rest of that time. He is 48 now. Well, after the initial 8 years he moved to NH and became a local cop and then moved onto the State Police where he has been for the last 18.5 years. He was trooper of the year, high speed driving instructor and firearms instructor. Well, he is way more passionate than I am and cares for everyone and everything he does. Two months ago he is put on paid leave and has been in retreats and mental rehab centers for PTSD. He never new it and it slowly chewed away at him. His humvee was blown up in Falujah and the sergeant was killed and his gunner broke his legs. Apparently my brother had suffered a TBI from the percussion and never realized it. Now his life is upside down and it feels like I am talking to a robot when we talk. Sorry for the book, just stressed a bit and venting.

Mtbdog

HERO Let's hope his gov doesn't forget his sacrifice. Trump let's see what he's got for the vets.God Bless your bro and all the others like him. Thoughts and Prayers.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
DT - the meds are creating the way he communicates. He is in there.
Now that it is known, they will work at getting him back. be patient, and understanding.
He knows you are his little brother.
trying times. peace and strength to both of you, and the family.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry about your brother. I hope he gets the help he needs. There’s probably thousands others just like him suffers every day and not getting the help they need. Mental health problems are scary. Hope it works out.

One thing that’s taken me years to learn, well actually I always knew this but actually doing it took years... when I’m not feeling it, I don’t push it. I’ve gone through many stretches of bad nights sleep and when it happens, I skip the ride. Don’t force it. Rest is way more beneficial than getting your workout in. And since I started actually doing that, my colds are fewer and further between.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shit dude.
I was gonna go all TLDR, but then I caught some keywords and backtracked.

Be there for your brother. Listen. Don't judge. You probably know that already, but still. That's a fucked up situation to go thru. I don't care why they train you for. When it actually happens, human nature takes over.

We are all grateful for his service, both at home and abroad. Time to heal. Both of you. Take the time you need. Stress can eat you alive from the inside. You both will come out stronger on the other side

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Shit dude.
I was gonna go all TLDR, but then I caught some keywords and backtracked.

Be there for your brother. Listen. Don't judge. You probably know that already, but still. That's a fucked up situation to go thru. I don't care why they train you for. When it actually happens, human nature takes over.

We are all grateful for his service, both at home and abroad. Time to heal. Both of you. Take the time you need. Stress can eat you alive from the inside. You both will come out stronger on the other side
Thanks guys. It just stinks when personally I try my best to keep my life uncluttered to reduce stress. My training had been on point. I want to move up a class this year. Not drinking and the weight is in control. I am grateful for my daughter arriving in 3.5 months and my already awesome immediate family. The kids and time aren’t stress for me but all of the stupid fillers in between bury you. Wasting 25% extra when training because none of this zwift, power meter, cadence sensor stuff ever seems to all work properly at the same time. I’m chuggin along. Physically I feel like I have been on par with not burning out and feeling good. The mental side has been the toughest.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, I find that mental stress is far more taxing than physical.

I am not the rest when I am sick type, mainly because there is no rest in a house with twin toddlers. But for head cold type stuff, gotta heat up the body to burn it out. Haha, just kidding, no, seriously.

Yea but you’re a vegetarian who doesn’t drink. That “clean” (boring) lifestyle probably keeps you healthier.

So you’re irrelevant here. :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dam DT, im very sorry to hear that your brother is going thru this. I know it sucks, but thankfully he is getting himself help.

One thing that’s taken me years to learn, well actually I always knew this but actually doing it took years... when I’m not feeling it, I don’t push it. I’ve gone through many stretches of bad nights sleep and when it happens, I skip the ride. Don’t force it. Rest is way more beneficial than getting your workout in. And since I started actually doing that, my colds are fewer and further between.
Totally agree. Bag it, come back tomorrow, you'll feel much better.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i hate reading things like this. the level of gratitude that i have to those that put their lives on the line so i can ride bikes without a care in the world is indescribable. i can't even imagine what your brother went though with that explosion and the PTSD.

without going too deep here, i can relate to him. to say the last three years of my life have been challenging is an epic understatement. upside down barely scratches the surface but i understand the upsidedown-ness...and the robot-like behavior. like i said, without going too deep, there is about a six month span of my life from 2016 that is just GONE. i know what i was doing b/c i went to work every day - but i couldn't tell you a single other thing about it. i barely rode, quit going to the gym, withdrew from all but my few closest friends. it's like i was there but at the same time not at all.

it takes time to rebuild, to put all the pieces back together and sometimes the ones that fit perfectly in the past just don't anymore. that's part of the rebuild. but weather it, hang in there. be patient. your bother is still there.

re. training: i am 100% opposite of @jShort. when i don't feel like doing something - riding, running, doing mundane work shit whatever - i absolutely do it. force myself though the suck. i promise myself, when i get though this, i'll rest tomorrow. generally speaking, the next day my head is clear and i'm back after it.

good luck with everything.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I should probably see a Dr. To be honest I call it a head coldbut in reality post nasal drip is making me hack my brains out all day and all night. It really sucks. Thanks for all the nice words about my bro. It’s sort of crazy have that happen because he has always been the rock in the family.

SmooveP

Hang in there. bud. Don't let the bike training stuff add to your stress. Riding bikes is supposed to be fun.

Top Bottom