Tweed Mountain

Anyone familiar with the trail riding up at Tweed Mountain in Rockland County, New York?

I think its Rockland, possible Orange County.

Supposedly has good trails but I've never been there.

You talkin about the road Tweed that runs out of Piermont? That cuts through Clausland but is not legal. Ride the tweed road hill instead that will get your HR up!

here?

http://defluxx.enchantingdream.com/Tweed Mountain.html

Tweed is also known as the Bluefields Rifle Range. Situated on top pf Clausland mountain in the Nyack/Orangeburg, NY area. This base, established in 1910, would replace the old facility located on long island. Camp Bluefields, in Blauvelt, Rockland County, was a former New York National Guard Rifle Range used as POW Camp in WWI. The camp's training facility prepared soldiers for embarkation to Europe. The remains of the Tweed Military Installation are now part of Tamarack County Park. Built some time around World War I the base served as a firing range complete with underground tunnels. The long, concrete tunnels were built to provide safe passage from one rifle range to another.

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/clausland-mountain-county-park - Hiking

I've ridden there with Tim (tlnj) a couple times. It's technically illegal as mentioned, though I never saw any hikers.

I've ridden there with Tim (tlnj) a couple times. It's technically illegal as mentioned, though I never saw any hikers.

spill the beans??
milage? techincal? singletrack?

whatever happened to Guttenberg? Is he off shooting another Police Academy :D

Yeah that's the Tweed Mountain I'm referring too. Illegal? Why is it illegal?
What I'd be more worried bout is gettin caught there at dusk into darkness and running into skin heads...daylight they hide at least.

Doesn't Rockland county pretty much have a county ban on riding?

It's such a shame. Every time i'm driving through up from 287 to 87 North i can't help but ogle the amazing landscape and think how that entire area could be a mecca of awesome riding. So many small hills with awesome open rock tops.

spill the beans??
milage? techincal? singletrack?

whatever happened to Guttenberg? Is he off shooting another Police Academy :D

Guttenburg trail runs and has 2 young kids, so he doesn't mountain bike as much these days. Neither do I but I still hang out on this board for some reason. We did a trail run in Harriman the weekend before last and he split his shin clean open on a rock -- not pretty.

The riding I've done in Clauseland isn't much to fret. I know there's more out there to ride that I haven't seen -- and Glen of Piermont Bikes can maybe show you -- but outside of it being something new, don't sweat it.

I live approx 2 miles from the trails at Tweed. I have ridden at Nike Park and Tackamack Park. At Nike there is a very short blue trail that is decent (less than 1 mile) and then across the road there are more trails, that are ok. The part of Tackamack that I have ridden is very rooty. Almost uncomfortably rooty. I would love to hear about any other trails over there, that may be good.

Tackamack

I ride this trail system a lot lately. I have never been scolded for riding there either, even though it says its illegal. I think its stated just to cover them if you try to sue them for some odd reason. I find the trails are more tame than ringwood, and has some great elevation. The rooty section is awesome when coming back downhill to the parking lot. If I was ever stopped, id bring to my defense that "At least I wasnt spraypainting and drinking in these woods!" as there is LOTS of evidence of that in those trails. I believe you can connnect the nike missile site, and go all the way to the abandoned tunnels, and even to nyack college! Its a very fun place to ride in my experience with those woods.

Back
Top Bottom