Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. One of the dumber articles I've read. You can find anything on the internet. Good luck with that. LOL.
I actually learned that before. I just posted the article for reference. Basically what tiring yourself out completely before you get to the hard stuff makes your natural all day pace stronger so when you slow in a race you don’t slow that much.

I actually learned that before. I just posted the article for reference. Basically what tiring yourself out completely before you get to the hard stuff makes your natural all day pace stronger so when you slow in a race you don’t slow that much.

it teaches you to ride tired, i'm not sure it increases fitness.

No, but it can increase avg speed in a race

ok - because you know what to expect when you are tired, and have trained it.
That is the conclusion of the article (or is it the premise?)

do you think grinding yourself into the ground regularly is the way to go?
recovery is longer, and may force you to miss the next workout/workout goals ?

as opposed to a structured work-out with high-intensity to fatigue (not past it)

just things to think about - you know you, and you crushed it last year....so something is working.

Dave, if this is true, stop using your long weeks and lack of sleep as an excuse for not feeling good. Can't have it both ways.
Lol...you are correct...basically this is what’s happening. I am training fatigued and my slow pace feels faster. The problem is I should train like this and rest for race day...that’s the part that isn’t happening. It’s tough to explain but 3 kids under 5 at home with stay at home mom is not easily mentally and drains you. On top of that our house is too small. Let’s see how wilderness101 goes next week. I felt great on the road bike tonight after an hour of z2 last night. I don’t really feel tired after XC races but I do take a day off to foam roll and do some foundation work.

Hey dudes! It's been a while. Anyways...wilderness 101 just happened so while I sit here with a super tight chest/upper back( I'll explain later)I figured no better time than now to update. I backed off on training from last saturday quite a bit. I had done a hard effort that friday only to be cut short by a broken Valor. I continued with some efforts early saturday and then drove the boys to my dad's house in Pa. We did some bass fishing, grilling, quad riding and bike riding(them not me). I only squeezed in a 2.5 mile run. So I guess leading up this wilderness thing I tapered. I did two interval sessions and one z2 ride. Somehow I increased my sleep time and ate healthy all week but sleep is still lacking.
Friday, the course recon day. I decided to take the day off and start by taking the fam out for breakfast at the monmouth diner. Much needed bonding time. After that I finished loading up and drove the 4 hours to Coburn, Pa. This is where the fun began. I met my team mate Sven, picked up my packet and decided to preride the last 6 miles of the course. Well I rode to the hike a bike section(fisherman's trail) and decided not to walk it as I slipped my back there last year. So I turn around and head back on the elk creek hiking trail that is under 2" of water. My mistake I made was trying to avoid a deep spot by going around. In the blink of an eye my tire touched a rock and my wheels went out from underneath me. I fell backwards and took a conehead shaped rock to the ribs in my back just above the kidneys. I felt like I got sucker punched and had the wind knocked out of me. Anyways, I rode back , met with Sven and Phil(my other teammate) and headed to our campsite(at the first turn on the road the opening climb is on). Sven brought his 32' tow behind so we had a nice place to sleep. I'll speed the rest up....Elk Creek brewwing for dinner with 2 IPAs and one double, the super market for some eatins, and back to the camper for some Zzzs after topping the night off with a Heady Topper.
Race day. I wake up and eat my oatmeal and home made raisin bran and head down to the start. I bs with Chirstian Tanguy and Jeremiah Bishop for a bit(they are super cool to chat with and learn from). I congratulated Brian Schworm on the national title last week and he was stoked. So my ribs felt ok but my lockout was being finicky. I only had one option for this race as my ss bikes are clapped out so I went with my niner air 9 rdo I bought from @Dairyman. This bike is a rocket but way too XC for these 100s. I threw a stepcast on itand some Ardent Race 2.2s. I also decided to try the Monty gear (34:18) and it worked well for me. I had a valor front and I9 alloy wheel in the rear. I am in front next to bishop on the neutral rollout and am planning to take it easy for the first two hours. Long story short I felt great and PR'd the opening climb with the leaders in site. I pass Mandell at the top and then he latches on and we work together. Oldock and Anderson were about a minute ahead. After about ten miles in we come up the tunnel and I see the lead group ahead(a 40 person pelaton). I put in an effort to catch them and latch on. Well the matches I burned doing that showed and I fell off 5 min later. I get to aid one at mile 20 and pass Anderson and Oldock as they had stopped. I was not hammering the next climb so I expected them to pass me. I wanted to conserve and put efforts in on the road climbs. I did and I definitely climb faster on the big gear as I can manage my HR. I didn't get passed all day on a climb and gapped everyone I passed. This is where things sucked. My lockout was stuck on rigid and I couldn't get it budge until mile 60 or so. I walked a lot of stuff I rode the last two years. This niner hates gnarly downhills and especially so rigid. I rode white knuckled and terrified for a long time. Once I got the fork unlocked I left it. I came up on Oldock(he's the non training miracle boy that can slay any length ride any time). He had chain and tire issues so were went back and forth for an hour or so. I made it to aid 4 with Greg and I knew he would gap me on stillhouse but I still saw him at the top and this was the first year I climbed the whole thing. I put in an effort and rolled into aid 5 to see himand mandell(mandell imploded his derailleur, some spokes and was ssing on like 32/21ish or something). Those two blasted off and I filled bottles and drank some coke. I popped two goos and then drilled the next 12 minutes or so to catch them. Then we decided to ride together. Greg and I demolished the last climb and dropped Jeff a bit. But Greg said he was gonna wait and we can all cross together. I was cool with that except Jeff didn't get the memo I guess. We all walked through fisherman's and greg said his knee was F'd. Well we got to the other side and Jeff bolted. I didn't realize it until he was gone. SO I took off as Greg was going very slow. I just mosied back to the finish and was done at 8:35. Props to Ross for getting second ss behind Wadsworth. He really killed it. I think if I was on the right bike and everything went smooth I could have finished under 8 hours but things weren't like that and I didn't so onward and upward from here.
Props to Chris Scott from Shenandoah Mountain Touring for putting on such a rad event. He also promotes the Shen 100 and Stoopid 50. I was feeling great after the race so I headed home to see the family by 9:30. Now for some rest and relaxation leading up to SSUSA on saturday.
EE8F3896-7E86-405B-BAE5-08039455155E.jpeg
8A9CE7FF-2D8C-4CFF-A15C-657A412D14AF.jpeg
2C0C1B71-2AB8-4289-A50A-E966254B7C76.jpeg
BB048BF6-6C71-4AB6-A4CB-E2A713B9DDE9.jpeg
2DADE7BD-BB7E-42E4-AA6B-7A50D53EFF05.jpeg
4BF5C344-8425-4769-830A-903BB95E66E3.jpeg
E25AC917-2A41-43C2-9EC7-7E1E5B4F1C15.jpeg

Last edited:
Good read. Nice details. Sounds like your day was a lot harder than it had to be due to your rock incident before the race and your locked-out fork.

Nice job, that's a long day in the saddle.
When are u getting your fs pivot? Are u going to race that at endurance races.

Before a 100 mile race I'd bag riding a slick course, other then to check tire pressure and performance. You don't want to risk breaking your bike or yourself in those conditions.

Also, if you want to get under 8 hrs I'd say drinking 3-4beers the night before is not a good idea, save the beer for after.

Ok, that's all I got.
Did they post results?

Nice job, that's a long day in the saddle.
When are u getting your fs pivot? Are u going to race that at endurance races.

Before a 100 mile race I'd bag riding a slick course, other then to check tire pressure and performance. You don't want to risk breaking your bike or yourself in those conditions.

Also, if you want to get under 8 hrs I'd say drinking 3-4beers the night before is not a good idea, save the beer for after.

Ok, that's all I got.
Did they post results?
https://www.bikereg.com/BR/a/1779/W101-Preliminary-Results-2018.pdf Absolutely right about the beers. I’m a sucker to a good time sometimes. I purposely didn’t do the hike a bike section and only road a gravel path to avoid getting hurt and I still found the only rock around. Oh well...next time! I do have the fs, I raced it at kittatinny remember? It’s up for sale though. I want a ti ss.

do have the fs, I raced it at kittatinny remember? It’s up for sale though. I want a ti ss.
lol. Don't stop being you bruh.
I'll just say that there is no perfect bike, just like there is no perfect person. We accept limitations, over look imperfections and settle into what feels comfortable. The only thing we can do is strive to perfect ourselves;)

lol. Don't stop being you bruh.
I'll just say that there is no perfect bike, just like there is no perfect person. We accept limitations, over look imperfections and settle into what feels comfortable. The only thing we can do is strive to perfect ourselves;)
I’m actually simple but I can’t find a fast ss frame that I like. The superfly is nice fit wise but I want ti or carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom