Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

qclabrat

Congrats Dave, the sleepless nights begin...
and they last well beyond teenage years from experience

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Well, back to racing this weekend. Still undecided on what to do. Kittatinny endurance? Or double up with ss and open? Granoque? How is that course anyways? Singlespeed? Maybe my new Pivot mach429sl will be ready?
Sleep is lacking but I feel good. Not too tired. Diet had been decent but not great. I finally found a morning “dad” crew that likes to put in efforts. Start at 5:15am on the weekends and I can get a solid 3-4 hours in and the wife is still happy.
So who is racing where is the big question?

Mountain Bike Mike

Well, back to racing this weekend. Still undecided on what to do. Kittatinny endurance? Or double up with ss and open? Granoque? How is that course anyways? Singlespeed? Maybe my new Pivot mach429sl will be ready?
Sleep is lacking but I feel good. Not too tired. Diet had been decent but not great. I finally found a morning “dad” crew that likes to put in efforts. Start at 5:15am on the weekends and I can get a solid 3-4 hours in and the wife is still happy.

A strong maybe on granogue for the boy and I... we’re headed down there this afternoon to preride.

I’ve raced it twice in the opposite direction. That area is one of my favorites to ride. The course is roughly 6 miles per lap with 900’ of elevation per... it’s tough. It has some tech and of the two times I raced there, it was insanely hot and the climbs are mostly under the canopy with very little air movement. Be ready to climb... just under 3k in <2 hours

JDurk

Granogue course is a great mix of everything. Really only 1 section that's technical, The "Gulch" in the map below. Heat is definitely a factor, but Cat1 goes off at 9am, so better than later. I've raced Cat2 SS the last 3 years, and ran 32/20 in each. The climbing can be brutal. I'll be doing Clyde with gears.

1531224696676.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I was going to Granogue but too far.

Come to KVSP and race your age group in Cat 1 (where u belong. :p)
So, I think @jShort was right this time around. I did belong in age group. I will argue that I belinged in open the first half of the season. My fitness was much better up until Iron Furnace and me tally I needed that class and effort to change how I race. It’s a whole nother animal going off the line at full throttle and to try and hold it as long as possible. I just never had to do that in any other class before.
I want to say that I have an awesome wife and kids for allowing me to do what I love. On the other hand I will need to rest at some point... like yesterday. My training has badically consisted of 5am 3 hr back to back road hammers with a local group of dads, a spin out or z2 on tuesday and maybe a hammer on thursday. I am unlike @pooriggy though, I need volume. Long story short, two months of 5-6.5 hours sleep max, 10 hours on the bike and 1 hr off the bike training plus 50 hour work weeks take their toll. I am tired.
Fast forward to last weekend at KVSP. After a failed attempt at Stewart(thanks to broken Pivot Les) I really needed to get some efforts in. After all my favorite racing starts on the 28tg(NUE wilderness 101 which I still haven’t signed up for because ss/gears?) sorry, did I get distracted?
Let’s start over...KVSP. I signed up for ss and age group cat 1. I have a bunch of excuses but in reality I also have my fitness, TP just suggests the fatigue is the part screwing me now. I started off in the ss class as a warm up(well until Inrealized Martin schleede and Monty signed up too). So the ss race goes off and bam, Infeel great. Minty soon goes into the lead and I follow. I am feeling good and riding very smooth. I feel like I’m not dying to stay with him. Then whammo! I tap a small rock onna downhill and my race is over. I forgot to top off my bontrage sealant so there was none and I had no tune or co2. 2 miles in and I was done. Perfect warmup however so I go back and set up the other bike(my new fs pivot mach 429sl). Race 2- cat 1 15+...callups...ugh. Here I am almost DFL of 20-25 guys. I feel good but ultimately anyone after podium spots in cat 1 can’t ride a rock garden so it’s hike a bike up the first hill. I ran past maybe 4-5 guys. I put in a decent first lap then find myself going back and forth with a Team Somerset guy(who ultimately dropped out). I put in a solid 2nd lap over a min faster as I find myself chasing and picking people off. I basically tried to push, ride consistently and not leave anything out there. It was my best “effort” of rhe year on not my best form. The bike was definitely too stiff, and Race TT tires are not great in slippery stuff but I am 100% happy with 8th place. Avg HR of 175 and max of 181. Until next time...
6C735E81-179E-4E26-990B-0CE3D702C341.jpeg

Attachments

• B2050968-2120-496F-8967-664E56DAB4FF.jpeg
    B2050968-2120-496F-8967-664E56DAB4FF.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave, glad you made it out to KVSP. I'm also glad you flatted in the SS so you had some legs for the Cat 1 race. Hopefully you get the fit and feel for that Pivot. It's a sick bike and I think you should stick with it and learn to shift gears. ;)

Coming from last to 8th is an accomplishment especially considering you're current state of fitness, which I don't think is too bad.

But here's where I give my unsolicited advice. I think you're kinda crazy...Let me quote the urban dictionary here:

"The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change. That. Is. Crazy"

If you're ever going to be consistenly fast and in shape, you need to know when to rest. When you're exhausted and run down, the worst thing you can do is a hard ride. A rest/off day is way more beneficial. It's a mind game because you're sitting there looking at strava and all these dudes doing monster rides and you feel like you need to get out there. I'm telling you that you dont. Just chill out, sleep in, take the day off.

We're all different, but I'm doing like 6-7 hours a week. 8 max, and that's a race week. Usual weeks can be as low as 5 hours.

xc62701

If you're ever going to be consistenly fast and in shape, you need to know when to rest. When you're exhausted and run down, the worst thing you can do is a hard ride. A rest/off day is way more beneficial. It's a mind game because you're sitting there looking at strava and all these dudes doing monster rides and you feel like you need to get out there. I'm telling you that you dont. Just chill out, sleep in, take the day off.

THIS!!!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Dave, glad you made it out to KVSP. I'm also glad you flatted in the SS so you had some legs for the Cat 1 race. Hopefully you get the fit and feel for that Pivot. It's a sick bike and I think you should stick with it and learn to shift gears. ;)

Coming from last to 8th is an accomplishment especially considering you're current state of fitness, which I don't think is too bad.

But here's where I give my unsolicited advice. I think you're kinda crazy...Let me quote the urban dictionary here:

"The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change. That. Is. Crazy"

We're all different, but I'm doing like 6-7 hours a week. 8 max, and that's a race week. Usual weeks can be as low as 5 hours.
Interesting read. Racng tired may not be good but training tired can be very beneficial. https://www.outsideonline.com/1969046/training-when-youre-tired-will-make-you-better-athlete

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i've been "running" and my pace has been how i feel, or "faster"
coach keeps yelling at me for over-pacing my easy days - even when i say i went "easy" -
easy has a number for my current place in the plan, and fitness.
i here "blah blah blah accumulated fatigue blah"
So i'm actually trying to slow down until my easy pace moves up. i dunno if this makes sense, but they train a bunch of newbs like me,
so.....

part of my plan is to learn to run tired - but it usually is the result of progressively
getting faster each mile, and pushing to keep the pace up. more easily done with a group.

didn't you have a coach giving your workouts with power numbers to hit? can always look back at the workouts, and just scale them up?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
i've been "running" and my pace has been how i feel, or "faster"
coach keeps yelling at me for over-pacing my easy days - even when i say i went "easy" -
easy has a number for my current place in the plan, and fitness.
i here "blah blah blah accumulated fatigue blah"
So i'm actually trying to slow down until my easy pace moves up. i dunno if this makes sense, but they train a bunch of newbs like me,
so.....

part of my plan is to learn to run tired - but it usually is the result of progressively
getting faster each mile, and pushing to keep the pace up. more easily done with a group.

didn't you have a coach giving your workouts with power numbers to hit? can always look back at the workouts, and just scale them up?
Yes, I stopped with the coach because of time constraints. I still do certain workouts but don’t really have a plan now. I just like riding and racing. Last year I was training for endurance . I would do super hard efforts in the easy stuff(road) before riding tired at places like wayway and ringwood. It seemed to help my all day pace pick up. This year I am just a grenade waiting to go off. @jShort typically races under two hours. My main races are 4-9 hours so no way is his volune going to work for me. I think what I was lacking sunday was just top end. I really haven’t done any intervals in two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom