Turbo's Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleidopete

It sounds like some tough situations you have to deal with. I'm glad you can see who comes first in your life. You!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry to hear all the shit you got going on. Riding bikes is like a short vacation from reality sometimes. In a good way.
Hope things get a little easier for ya.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats on #3, hope things get better with you family situation.
I didn't know u where going to California? what up wit dat?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man, well sorry and congrats in the same sentence!

I have had a couple people in my life with Heroin addictions,terrible. Hope he is able to find some lasting help.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
DT,

I've been through SOME of what you're going through. Your wife and kids are great...hold on to that with both hands. All you can do is be as compassionate (which clearly you are) as possible but do not allow the sadness you feel to fester and twist into guilt or despair. You are not the cause of your parents illness nor are you wrong in wishing they'd accept help.

I wrestled with my in laws over this during their decent and now with my own parents showing all the all too familiar warning signs; I've accepted the harsh reality that they have earned the right to make the wrong choices.

Your kid brothers issue is drugs, my kid sisters is mental illness. Both conditions go for stretches of seeming normally and then out of nowhere, shit goes completely off the fucking rails. In her case it's every time you think she might have the remote possibility of even the slightest semblance of a "normal life". Wham-o.

Hug your kids, comfort your wife and focus on #3 on the way. Seeing the love you guys share will comfort your parents and maybe, just maybe give your brother something to shoot for.

Sending positive thoughts....

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Well here we go again!Made it through the Erie 80 relatively unscathed. That is by far the toughest race I have done to date. I ended up 4th SS and 13th overall out of 210 or so registered. Not bad but I feel like I finished in a good position but I could have done so much better. Racing mistakes overtook my fitness. The whole week before I was on the fence with gearing. After this race I now know what gear I need to run at what types of races and why. I had a good gear but I definitely know what direction to go in next year. So, the lead out car went slow AF this year...last year it was a high speed lead out. This was my first mental mistake. I was all prepared to hammer the road and survive the climb. Now we were all equal and I had to hammer the climb. Well me going from flat to vert fast is never a good thing. Legs feel dead and I redline with any effort.I need to work on this. Anywho I survived and made it to the singletrack within 20 or 30 seconds of the leader. The problem was that this singletrack is where I can hammer. Fast, flowy and rocky. Now I am following people that are not so great at this. I made some passes and about half way through the race I was able to catch @Uzzi_SL and Ross Anderson. I was feeling great and passsed them when we hit the fire road. Then came the reservoir road climb and I suck at that. They both passed me and gapped me pretty good again. Back into the woods and I am back on Ross and we ride together a bit. We hit the long power line climb and Ross pulls into the aid station at the top. Not sure what happened but I think he ultimately pulled out of the race. I am on my nutrition and had grabbed two more bottles at mile 20. I have been in hammer mode for 2.5 hours but feeling good. I manage to creep back up on @Uzzi_SL on the first climb after lipstick and blush as he was just getting on his bike after cramping. Now here is where my problems begin. I follow Jaime a bit but not even thinking I pass my bottles at aid station one on the second lap and I am already through 1.5 bottles. I pass Jaime and gap him a hair but then I look back and there he is again. Well I was dragging ass. Hitting cranks on rocks, bobbling etc. I was out of nutrition. I slammed a red bull I had with me before dejay downs and made it through there and survived the reservoir road climb(barely, even after seeing Jaime ahead of me walking). I couldn't do anything. I stopped at the aid station(now 7 miles to go) and chugged 1.5 bottles of water, ate 3 bags of skittles and dumped two bags in a bottle and continued on after about 3 minutes recovering there. I soldiered on and and before the powerline climb I notice my buddy Joe Van Mater walking his bike. I stopped and took my tube off the seat and handed him my tools and a tube. I do this climb and opt to grab my nutrition bottle at the last aid. It was a godsend! I swear, in two minutes I felt like I was fully recovered. I hammered the last 3 miles or so, sprinted the downhill and spun on the road fast AF. I passed a couple guys right before the finish but ultimately came in at 5:39, 3 minutes behind Jaime. Ahhhh, what could have been.
Still training. I'll be racing the Woods Hollow race at Tatum next saturday, then helping my 4 yo race his class and onto Applecross in Califon later in the afternoon. Cheesequake Hashathon on Sunday a week later and finally Cathedral Pines team race with @Riggedfmx . It's been a great learning year. Hopefully next year is just as good!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a good gear but I definitely know what direction to go in next year.
Go in the direction of the finish line.
Maybe if you had a Pivot you might win some races, that's what all the fast Monmouth county racers are running these days.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice DT! Please hit the enter button after some of those sentences...Holy F! lol Paragraphs pleeeease:)

What is the Cheesequake Hashathon? Never heard of it...Run? Bike? Weed?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice DT! Please hit the enter button after some of those sentences...Holy F! lol Paragraphs pleeeease:)

Drinkers with a running problem.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

LOL. Sorry, I was kinda doing better but man has life been hectic lately. Finding almost zero time to type stuff isn't helping. Sorry for the onebigparagraphsentencethingyoz.
Cheesequake Hashathon is a 6 mile XC running race at Cheesequake State Park. I did it in 2015 the day after the Woods Hollow race. It was super fun and they were doing beer handups in the woods. I'll be doing it again in 2 weeks. I was the last guy to finish under an hour. Looking to maybe crack 50 minutes this year. @BrianGT3 ...any interest speedy?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Ahhh, I still suck at Tatum but I sucked less this year. 5th place at the Monmouth County World Championships(woods Hollow). I convinced my buddy to come out as he is SUPER strong but doesn't race much. He killed the race from the start(well I holeshotted cause that's what I do) to the finish. I think he was like 2-3 minutes up on second. Mike Finnell and Zoli(real strong road guys) got 2nd and 3rd and then my buddy @Riggedfmx got 4th. Happy with the outcome but I need to learn to push harder.
Second race of the day...Apple Cross on my Superfly SS in the SS vs Fatbikes class which was really just ss and a delayed fat bike start behind us. I tried to holeshot but that A guy beat me to it after I had trouble clipping in. I sat in 2nd for the first lap but backed it off after that(did I need to? We'll discuss this later). Anyways, BJ and Chris La???? went by me and I settled in. I didn't know how to ride it and my dismount technique was horrible but remount was good. I should have stuck with the guys when they passed but I am always too conservative. These are the races I need to blow up in. I finished 4th of maybe 7? I was ultimately undergeared and 2.4 tires were a bit much but man was it fun. Congrats @xc62701 on the win and passing me. Tell Lucky thanks for the pre race IPA. Congrats to @jShort on his win today. And thanks to @seanrunnette for the commentating.
Stuff I need to work on. Top end. Mine is good but not great. At times I blame being down in the power/weight department(which may be partially correct but not all that is wrong) on my poor performances at the races. In reality I need to hurt more. I have excellent fitness but I rode way too conservative. I feel I haven't come close to blowing up in the last 20 races minus some nutrition mishaps. I need to do some short and super intense stuff. I'd rather ride 5 hours at 13 mph than 100 miles at 10mph. I've notice this lack of effort(even though it feels like I am pushing) the last week or two and have started to push my intervals further. I think I mentally max out way before I physically max out. Anyways...until next time.

RobW

Ahhh, I still suck at Tatum but I sucked less this year. 5th place at the Monmouth County World Championships(woods Hollow). I convinced my buddy to come out as he is SUPER strong but doesn't race much. He killed the race from the start(well I holeshotted cause that's what I do) to the finish. I think he was like 2-3 minutes up on second. Mike Finnell and Zoli(real strong road guys) got 2nd and 3rd and then my buddy @Riggedfmx got 4th. Happy with the outcome but I need to learn to push harder.
Second race of the day...Apple Cross on my Superfly SS in the SS vs Fatbikes class which was really just ss and a delayed fat bike start behind us. I tried to holeshot but that A guy beat me to it after I had trouble clipping in. I sat in 2nd for the first lap but backed it off after that(did I need to? We'll discuss this later). Anyways, BJ and Chris La???? went by me and I settled in. I didn't know how to ride it and my dismount technique was horrible but remount was good. I should have stuck with the guys when they passed but I am always too conservative. These are the races I need to blow up in. I finished 4th of maybe 7? I was ultimately undergeared and 2.4 tires were a bit much but man was it fun. Congrats @xc62701 on the win and passing me. Tell Lucky thanks for the pre race IPA. Congrats to @jShort on his win today. And thanks to @seanrunnette for the commentating.
Stuff I need to work on. Top end. Mine is good but not great. At times I blame being down in the power/weight department(which may be partially correct but not all that is wrong) on my poor performances at the races. In reality I need to hurt more. I have excellent fitness but I rode way too conservative. I feel I haven't come close to blowing up in the last 20 races minus some nutrition mishaps. I need to do some short and super intense stuff. I'd rather ride 5 hours at 13 mph than 100 miles at 10mph. I've notice this lack of effort(even though it feels like I am pushing) the last week or two and have started to push my intervals further. I think I mentally max out way before I physically max out. Anyways...until next time.
@Dairyman takes the win? Way to go Don!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I’m sure it’s not what you want to hear, but if you need to work on top end, you should really focus on doing cross in the offseason. Don’t worry about the results, just dive into it and train for it. It’s everything you described you want to get better at. The suffering and intensity of cross is impossible to create by yourself or in training.

The future is bright for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom