Tubeless vs Tubular Talk for 2016

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is wider better in tubulars as well? It seems like the Kinlin is only 18.5mm to Velocity's 23mm. Worth spending a few $ more on the Velocity then? Are there any other cheap options of rims that are better? @Delish what is your valued opinion? I know you've mentioned BHS many times, and Kinlin.

You may wonder why the Surly hub? I need a 130mm rear singlespeed and the hex bolt setup on the Ultra New is dope. Wheel hasn't slipped in dropouts yet and has with the older bolt in axle.

I also have some Stan's tubeless conversion strips for cross so I could potentially just buy tubeless tires and try them on my current factory Velocity junk, which could always become a backup wheel set for mud or something else.

The options so far are:
Stan's Alpha 400's full wheelset - $635
Would need some sort of chain tug though with skewers
Clement PDX Tubeless - $48.99ea
Total = $732.98

Kinlin TB-25 28/32h - $39.95ea
BHS Front Hub - $34.95
Surly Ultra New 130mm Fixed/Free Rear Hub - $70
Sapim Race - $0.90ea
Sapim Brass Nips - $0.20ea 12 54
Clement PDX Tubular - $100.00ea
Total = $450.85

Velocity Major Tom 28/32 - $59.95ea (On sale now)
BHS Front Hub - $34.95
Sapim Race - $0.90ea
Sapim Brass Nips - $0.20ea
Total = $490.85

Last edited:

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Is wider better in tubulars as well? It seems like the Kinlin is only 18.5mm to Velocity's 23mm. Worth spending a few $ more on the Velocity then? Are there any other cheap options of rims that are better? @Delish what is your valued opinion? I know you've mentioned BHS many times, and Kinlin.

You may wonder why the Surly hub? I need a 130mm rear singlespeed and the hex bolt setup on the Ultra New is dope. Wheel hasn't slipped in dropouts yet and has with the older bolt in axle.

I also have some Stan's tubeless conversion strips for cross so I could potentially just buy tubeless tires and try them on my current factory Velocity junk, which could always become a backup wheel set for mud or something else.

The options so far are:
Stan's Alpha 400's full wheelset - $635
Would need some sort of chain tug though with skewers
Clement PDX Tubeless - $48.99ea
Total = $732.98

Kinlin TB-25 28/32h - $39.95ea
BHS Front Hub - $34.95
Sapim Race - $0.90ea
Sapim Brass Nips - $0.20ea 12 54
Total = $450.85

Velocity Major Tom 28/32 - $59.95ea (On sale now)
BHS Front Hub - $34.95
Sapim Race - $0.90ea
Sapim Brass Nips - $0.20ea
Total = $490.85
Major Tom's rule.

First set of tubular rims were major toms. Still have them.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i reread everything on this thread again, and now that i'm a disc boy, have a set of grails, a set of happy mediums (non-tubeless) and MXP (tubeless), i'm debating on even gluing up a set of tubulars with a pair of grifos i have. i tried to roll the happy medium/grail setup and had no luck at around 25 psi. granted i didn't bash it on anything, but was surprised it didn't come off the bead.

but reading everything again is making me think I should at least have these in my arsenal since it's just the labor of gluing them.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am very skeptical of tubeless for CX but I've done everything in my power to burp with no avail. I may be a convert.

I got WTB cross boss on my valors. Down to 25 with no issues. Will go lower next week

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Last season I raced my geared bike with tubeless then raced my single speed with tubulars back to back same day. The tubulars felt like butter compared to tubeless. Really need a session where I can push the limits of tubeless where I can can know my limits pressure wise like I know tubulars.

hotsauce

OK here's another question: do 32-33mm tubulars outperform a 35-37mm tubeless tire for non-UCI racers?

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
OK here's another question: do 32-33mm tubulars outperform a 35-37mm tubeless tire for non-UCI racers?
Great Q, test, report back.

My guess is likely, especially factoring $$, time and general well being into your decision.

That said, lookin for 38mm TOOBLESS option for SS, recommendations appreciated.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Pretty sure tubulars will always be fastest. The biggest advantage of a tubular is the tire shape, it's round, and that will always allow you to corner harder than tubeless. But I feel the advantages will only be noticeable at the pointy end of the faster classes and the vast majority of us won't notice the difference.

As a reference, the KOM on the Strava segment of my local CX loop was just broken with 40c Tubeless tires. The old time was set with 33c Tubular PDXs on Easton EC90 carbon wheels. I'm probably too slow to take advantage of the benefits and at 175 pounds I run the tires at 25psi which is on the harder side.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
So I rode my tubulars to test the glue and make sure I did an okay job and forgot how awesome they hooked up around 25 psi. I could go lower if it was a slower day, but man, they were good.

I went back before dinner with the fam and did some tire rolling/bead popping tests with the tubless setup. At 152lbs and dropping, 25psi and lower, I couldn't get the bead to pop off my Grails and Kenda Happy Medium non tubeless version. I did all the stupid stuff I could thing of. I'm very happy with how they hooked up as well. They are heavier, but will be bullet proof.

I think as someone stated before, the technology is catching up and tubular will always be preferred if money/time is no option, but i'll be damned if i show up to a critcross event like whirly/nittany and throw the happy mediums on let it fly with a higher pressure. V stoked wnanananana

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Valor Pro/PDX combo is the shit. They actually sit a little wider the the tubular HED/PDX's I have. I weight many more #s than you, so pressure is a little higher, but not much.

Top Bottom