tubeless tires has slash on side wall - have question on repair

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I tore a hole in the sidewall on my relatively new tires set up tubeless.

Checked you tube, here are the steps I found to repair:

1. Clean inside tire
2. Sew hole up so tear doesn't spread (I did see where someone used super glue to glue the whole together.
3. Put patch on inside with rubber cement

Is that it? Does this actually work for anyone? Any other tricks I need?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tore a hole in the sidewall on my relatively new tires set up tubeless.

Checked you tube, here are the steps I found to repair:

1. Clean inside tire
2. Sew hole up so tear doesn't spread (I did see where someone used super glue to glue the whole together.
3. Put patch on inside with rubber cement

Is that it? Does this actually work for anyone? Any other tricks I need?
I’ve patched a few tears successfully. Sewing works on tubed tires, but I’ve never done it on a tubeless tire as it wouldn’t give the patch full contact I feel. If it’s that big, maybe give sewing a shot, but at some point I would go ahead and buy a new one to have ready to go.

I usually sand the area a bit, then brake clean the area where the patch would be and the tear itself to clean it up really well. Fill tear with rubber cement as it stays more flexible than superglue or some other options, than standard car tire patch with cement over the area. A proper stitcher/roller is good to have.

Dingo

shit.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Don’t do it, it will fail when you need it the most; middle of a race, an epic ride in the middle of no where, on a awesome descent and destroys your rim, etc.

Sacrifice the rubber to the tire gods and move on.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Update, the tire is tubeless toast. The very small cut is near the bead and not fixable. The back tire is almost at the end if its life. I'll run tubes until I get a set of tires.

Top Bottom