Tubeless Sealing

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
For a sec I thought you were taking about this stuff: I found the label amusing when I saw it on the shelf.
F2DE8DCF-31E8-4353-9945-960F31C5F5B2.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
^^^this would be more like Tubeless Ceiling :D

---

they make a paint on version too, what do you want to do? instead of tape?

Rocksrgood4u

I think you want a sealant that will remain more liquid than FlexSeal. Latex-based with stabilizer seem to rule the roost.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It could probably replace the rim strip, and seal e writhing else nicely, but won’t seal punctures that happen on the trail.
Coat inside of tire with Flex Seal. Ain't nothing getting by Flex Seal. Flex Seal is the Hoover Dam... in a can!

goodvibe

^^^this would be more like Tubeless Ceiling :D

---

they make a paint on version too, what do you want to do? instead of tape?
Yes, I would be thinking instead of tape. . .or in addition to tape. Basically the thing that made me think of this is that I have a pair of Marge Lites. I love how they ride. The front sealed up in 2 seconds with my standard sealing process. For the life of me, I couldn't get the rear to seal. I used different methods including gorilla tape, orange seal tape, I cleaned the rim with alcohol, brake cleaner, acrysol solvent and I couldn't get a perfect seal. I was finally successful using the split tube method. If I had a crappy rim, I would maybe put the rim strip on, maybe a small layer of tape and then flex seal, but I don't have a crappy rim.

goodvibe

I think you want a sealant that will remain more liquid than FlexSeal. Latex-based with stabilizer seem to rule the roost.
I would just use it to coat the rim, I still use Stans, or Orange seal, whichever makes me happy on the day I am filling my tire.

Patrick

Staff member
Yes, I would be thinking instead of tape. . .or in addition to tape. Basically the thing that made me think of this is that I have a pair of Marge Lites. I love how they ride. The front sealed up in 2 seconds with my standard sealing process. For the life of me, I couldn't get the rear to seal. I used different methods including gorilla tape, orange seal tape, I cleaned the rim with alcohol, brake cleaner, acrysol solvent and I couldn't get a perfect seal. I was finally successful using the split tube method. If I had a crappy rim, I would maybe put the rim strip on, maybe a small layer of tape and then flex seal, but I don't have a crappy rim.

get the paint on version, put down some tape, and paint it from shoulder to shoulder. it will seal - i'm not sure you could spread it thin enough to not make the next weight class...

goodvibe

get the paint on version, put down some tape, and paint it from shoulder to shoulder. it will seal - i'm not sure you could spread it thin enough to not make the next weight class...
I have never used this stuff at all. If you have tried it, how easy is it to remove if unsuccessful?

Patrick

Staff member
I have never used this stuff at all. If you have tried it, how easy is it to remove if unsuccessful?

It is a very heavy latex. I'm not sure how sticky it is. Probably very..

Maybe use some standard liquid latex or paint the Stan's on instead?

I may have some of both if you want to try it. Must pick up at fun Monday and bring Gock!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would just use it to coat the rim, I still use Stans, or Orange seal, whichever makes me happy on the day I am filling my tire.

Without the tape on the rim, there is 0 chance this will work....even if you gobbed enough on there to cover those giant holes, the tire pressure would just blow it out. So your back to the tape, in which case just I still dont recommend, but it would have a better chance of working and wont destroy your spokes.

serviceguy

It is a very heavy latex. I'm not sure how sticky it is. Probably very..

Maybe use some standard liquid latex or paint the Stan's on instead?

I may have some of both if you want to try it. Must pick up at fun Monday and bring Gock!

I tried and use it to fix the flashing on my chimney...a waste of time, it cracked by the time the sun came out.

It does come in tape form, that may work.

Patrick

Staff member
I tried and use it to fix the flashing on my chimney...a waste of time, it cracked by the time the sun came out.

It does come in tape form, that may work.

i'm not sure it is designed to work in tensile or shear situations. there is some really nasty stuff for chimney flashing, as you probably found!

serviceguy

i'm not sure it is designed to work in tensile or shear situations. there is some really nasty stuff for chimney flashing, as you probably found!

I only used it as sealant on top of the aluminum flashing, it wasn't supposed to hold anything, just fill up a few seam gaps and keep the water out. Nope, I know better now.

Yes, that stuff is nasty, not looking forward to that project..at all. Unfortunately we tried and call a few 'pros' but nobody seems to want to deal with a stone chimney, its shape is way to irregular for the average contractor i suppose...

Top Bottom