Tubeless Rim Tape Repair

ilnadi

Two weeks ago I finally went tubeless and has been slowly leaking as kinda expected the first few weeks, right?
Last week I removed the valve cores to add Stan's to to my tires. One was leaking worse afterwards so today I checked and it was leaking at the valve. I looked inside and the rim tape is cut/torn right at the valve. I am pretty sure I over-tightened the core and the whole valve spun (don't even ask).
I really do not want to re-tape the whole wheel; everything is covered in Stan's and there is a good 1/4 cup in the tire. I'll hate life by the time that is all clean.

The question is: Can I just clean around the valve and put two more layers of tape or do I need to remove the damaged tape around the valve (to avoid having the torn mess next to the valve).

Mr.Moto

Is the tape really compromised at the valve? I find that most of my leaks are fixed by snugging up the valve and getting stan's in there. When you tighten the core you can actually loosen the valve, so make sure it is tighten back up. Air up and let the stan's get in the valve rim area to fill in any gaps. Check later or the next day, snug up some more if still leaking, air up, shake. Repeat.

Piston Honda

The question is: Can I just clean around the valve and put two more layers of tape or do I need to remove the damaged tape around the valve (to avoid having the torn mess next to the valve).
I've done this before w/o issue.

I've also had issues with a leaking valve. Turned out to be a bad tape job further down the wheel as air/sealant was escaping into a spoke hole and exiting out the valve opening.

ilnadi

I hear carbon fiber never leaks :cool:
Actually the tape is really cut right at the hole. I think I'll remove one layer and add two more,

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just clean and then overlap with new tape. I think gorilla tape works better for applications like this.

ilnadi

Thanks all for the inputs. I already have the right size tape for that rim so I'l use that.

blackburn1973

try the clear gorilla repair tape instead of the black cloth variety, the sealant doesn't soak into the repair tape

Glad to hear the clear Gorilla Tape works. Picked up a roll of it for the exact reason you mentioned but haven't had occasion to use yet (when I went back to tubeless I found the old gorilla tape I used was still working).

ilnadi

well, that was a mess. I was going to either replace or reinforce the tape around the valve hole.
Just trying to move the tire out of the way to get to the tape around the valve are proved very difficult. My best guess is the old tape was a bit wide and got caught by the tire when the tire seated. When I pulled the tire off where it was seated, it pulled the tape with it in places and Stans got behind the tape. I assumed that was never going to stick again so I had to remove the tire completely, clean up, and replace the tape. I also trimmed the tape off the seating area. Amazingly I took a tire full of Stans off the rim and put it back on without spilling (too much). Also the tape was not doubled around the valve so I did that and made the hole without a blade. Went for a ride yesterday and it held so cross my fingers...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I use this to pull the stans out before working on the wheel...

It helps avoid a big mess.

download.jpeg

Top Bottom