Tubeless for CX

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Valor's with tubeless PDXs. I used them all year last season. Great setup.

Get a Stan's sponsorship.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Did stans grails tubeless with MXP all last year no fails. This year if i get in any raising it’ll be on carbon tubeless wannabe valor wheelz

Tubular has its place and is superior, but the hassle and wheel situation is hard to justify for me at my level of racing. It’s a bummer because i just got good at gluing.

-YETI-

I've raced on both MXP and PDX and for 90% of the local NJ and PA races I prefer the MXP as they are a bit faster rolling and still have solid traction. I've also run the MXP's in muddy races with decent success- but PDX is obv. best for those type of conditions.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don’t know why, but the MXP always seemed like more of a mud tire in the way it looks. I run the PDX all the time and it’s awesome.

Tubulars are spectacular if you have wheelsets glued for you, and a bunch of them. Otherwise, tubeless is so easy. This year will be my first year with PDX’s of Stan’s Grails. Tried them out multiple times on singletrack so far. Last year was tubular PDX’s.

Jeffreywoliver

Asking for a friend regarding tubeless. I ran tubulars in every race after Nittany CX. I ran PDX clinchers there. Crashed 3 times in that race and now only ride them on the Columbia Trail.

A cheap but quality option for wheels is Neugent, formerly known as Neuvation
http://www.neugentcycling.com/Alloy-Wheels.html
Quality one man show. He includes spare spokes and nipples along w hand written notes re spoke tension.
I think PDX are on the slower side on grass.
WTB Cross Boss are super wide,high volume and are great on everything but mud.
I haven’t tried them myself but I know a ton of folks who are in love with the Vittoria Terreno Mixed.
I’d be trying them next if I wasn’t on tubulars

Last edited:

SpartaBard

I have used Stans wheels plus Specialized tires. I have not raced on them but use them for long rail trail rides with the cross bike.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'll be starting this season on tubeless MXP's. Unless I'm really impressed, though, I'll be looking to put move back to tubulars when the opportunity arises.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anybody running Vittoria Terreno tubeless tires yet?

I had good luck with the previous gen TNT XG (Griffo-like) tires at low pressure on alpha 340 rims for stupid training rides. The tread pattern and rubber compound sucked but they never burped. Vittoria seems to have stepped up their tread pattern game (and their marketing budget as well based on the 3 infomercials on cx mag last fall and their new sponsorship of Cannondale/CXWorld team).

Santa

I currently have a pair of Easton wheels set up tubeless and they are not even tubeless wheels. They have never failed me in a year. Knock on wood

choop

Anybody running Vittoria Terreno tubeless tires yet?

I had good luck with the previous gen TNT XG (Griffo-like) tires at low pressure on alpha 340 rims for stupid training rides. The tread pattern and rubber compound sucked but they never burped. Vittoria seems to have stepped up their tread pattern game (and their marketing budget as well based on the 3 infomercials on cx mag last fall and their new sponsorship of Cannondale/CXWorld team).

I ran the terreno dry and mixed last year. I like both of them alot. The dry runs fast and has just enough shoulder knobs to get through the grass when cornering. I used the mixed when there was more off camber on the course. They also blow up to about 35 to 36 wide, so you get an little extra volume with them.

choop

Another tire to consider is the new Specialized Tracer Pro. It grips really really well in the grass. I only have a few rides on them, but I like it so far. I definitely like the Terreno dry better in the sand. So I will probably be swapping between the Terreno dry and Tracer Pro for most of the season depending on the course.

mstyer

I'm going to be running Terreno Mix and Mud tires this season. My friend ran both last year and raved about them.

Top Bottom