Tubeless Fat Wheels

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Looking to get new wheels for my Beargrease. Must be tubless, middle of the pack on cost. What's the hot setup?

sjeronis

Not sure what hub spacing you need but Borealis sells a tubeless wheelset for $299. Choice of 100 and 80 mm wide. I've been running these for 9 months without any problems. Price is almost to good to believe.

Johnny Utah

Lets backup.....

Is this the 13/14 Alloy Beargrease Frame, Crabon Beargrease, or the Alloy 15/16 Beargrease?

If carbon:

Summer - I9 hubs on Surly Marge Lites set tubeless with Surly Knards (if you are playing in the rocks).

Winter I would go with a Rolling Daryl setup tubeless with a 45north Dillinger 5 (the only 5" tire that will fit a beargrease on a 80mm + rim with out rubbing in packed snow/mud)

If you are racing the bike, different story. Then I would do carbon hoops all day. 90mm nexties on I9's, tires depend on conditions.

Judging by the 170 qr rear end, you have the 13/14 alloy frame.

SmooveP

There's a newer version of the Darryl's that are lighter and are supposed to be more tubeless-friendly: http://surlybikes.com/parts/rims/my_other_brother_darryl

The older Darryls and Marge Lites were a pain to set up tubeless. Nexties have been super easy to set up tubeless in my experience. You can always save a few $ by going with other hubs. I've had good experience with Hope hubs.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Lets backup.....

Is this the 13/14 Alloy Beargrease Frame, Crabon Beargrease, or the Alloy 15/16 Beargrease?

If carbon:

Summer - I9 hubs on Surly Marge Lites set tubeless with Surly Knards (if you are playing in the rocks).

Winter I would go with a Rolling Daryl setup tubeless with a 45north Dillinger 5 (the only 5" tire that will fit a beargrease on a 80mm + rim with out rubbing in packed snow/mud)

If you are racing the bike, different story. Then I would do carbon hoops all day. 90mm nexties on I9's, tires depend on conditions.

Judging by the 170 qr rear end, you have the 13/14 alloy frame.

Its the 2015 Beargrease 2 that is in my picture. Its the aluminum frame with carbon fork.

Not really interested in a 5" tire on this bike. If I was doing full snow riding I would ditch the beargrease and get a frame that is designed for a 5" tire.

Johnny Utah

Its the 2015 Beargrease 2 that is in my picture. Its the aluminum frame with carbon fork.

Not really interested in a 5" tire on this bike. If I was doing full snow riding I would ditch the beargrease and get a frame that is designed for a 5" tire.

Then I would run 65mm marge lites on i9 hubs. Triple tape the rims and you will be fine (that is how I raced mine w/o issue). A right layer/loop, left loop/layer, and then right down the center.

If you feel like spending a bit more cash but losing a lot more weight (all of the tape), run the 65mm Nextie rims. @jimvreeland can lace these up for you, he may even have everything in stock. 65mm and a 4" tire is plenty for the beargrease in up to 4" of snow.

qclabrat

Is there a new model of mid ranged i9 hubs, if there is, sign me up
i9=$$$$ (in response to responses to OP)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Is there a new model of mid ranged i9 hubs, if there is, sign me up
i9=$$$$ (in response to responses to OP)

No. Handmade in the US and A costs dollars. A good budget hub would be something like a DT350. In between those 2 are the Hopes. I've owned all 3. I raced the Fat Pursuit and the ITI with DT350 hubs, so they definitely get the job done. I broke half dozen Hope hubshells in 2 seasons so I don't normally suggest them unless it's to meet a budget. I9s are flawless and worth every penny. That's all I got.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I broke half dozen Hope hubshells in 2 seasons so I don't normally suggest them unless it's to meet a budget.
See @jShort it's not just me that says they are junk. I cracked two rear hubs also along with a few other peeps I know. Super budget that I have yet seen fail are bikehubstore hubs, for my 2C.

Top Bottom