True Distance

Biker Dude

What is the actual distance riding from Rt. 27, through the twisties, to White to Jacques Lane, to the 'illegal trail' to Canal and then back on blue trail, through the twisties and to Rt. 27?

My friend and I rode that yesterday and our Strava's came up with different distances (his showed 13.8 total and mine showed 15.2 total).

Just wondering:hmmm:

Mountain Bike Mike

What is the actual distance riding from Rt. 27, through the twisties, to White to Jacques Lane, to the 'illegal trail' to Canal and then back on blue trail, through the twisties and to Rt. 27?

My friend and I rode that yesterday and our Strava's came up with different distances (his showed 13.8 total and mine showed 15.2 total).

YES to both... Your friend took the twisties tighter than you :).. You took them wider...

Does it matter? Either distance, I feel (for me) that is one of the best loops in Jersey.

The Kalmyk

YES to both... Your friend took the twisties tighter than you :).. You took them wider...

Does it matter? Either distance, I feel (for me) that is one of the best loops in Jersey.

The way I see it, he wants to now why the difference in numbers between he and his friend. I don't think the true distance matters.

walter

Fourth Party
The difference is lost in the twisties. What ever you are using to measure your ride is losing ground in the twisties.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I bet you have different sampling rates on your GPS units.

GPS units are baffled by all the turns.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
You can't get accurate distance in the woods with just a gps if it has a lot of turns. The only way is a sensor on the wheel calibrated to the actual wheel size (including tires at riding pressure). The diff between you and your buddy is quite large. Perhaps auto pause may be on?

Dave02

6Mi is named for the stream it runs along, not the trail length.
The 6 Mile Run is at the end of the red trail by the canal.
My gps app shows about 15% short on twisty trails vs the bike computer.
They match on straight trails, like the canal.
I'll look up to see what my bike computer sais for that rout tonight.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If you use the gps on the road, it's probably set to auto pause if the speed drops below 3mph. Because of all the switchbacks, and the gps sample rate you may be missing quite a bit of distance. As long as you use the same gps, you can still analyze and compare efforts, if that matters to you. :)

kidzach

I usually take this exact route and if I remember, my Cateye will read just over 16 miles.

rick81721

Lothar
My GPS says a full loop is 14.8 miles, but with a cadence sensor and accurate wheel circumference input it says 16.8 miles

ChrisRU

sh-TEDW-economy-digital-measuring-wheel.jpg

Who is going to do it?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions