Triple to 2x10 with 34/22?

ChrisRU

I have an FSA (Afterburner?) triple crankset. Last year I ran it 1x9 pretty much the whole year. I set it back up as a triple over the winter and like the additional high end, but don't really need the 42. I wouldn't mind some extra clearance either.

Can I run a 34 ring in the middle ring and still be keep the 22? Or is that to big of a jump and will cause shifting issues? I'll likely stay in the 34 95% of the time but would like to keep the smaller ring for the endurance races I'll be doing this year. I have an XTR front der. and an 11-34 cassette if that makes a difference.

If this will work, what are some good shifting 104 BCD 34t chain rings? There doesn't seem to be too much selection at that size for geared applications.

I have an FSA (Afterburner?) triple crankset. Last year I ran it 1x9 pretty much the whole year. I set it back up as a triple over the winter and like the additional high end, but don't really need the 42. I wouldn't mind some extra clearance either.

Can I run a 34 ring in the middle ring and still be keep the 22? Or is that to big of a jump and will cause shifting issues? I'll likely stay in the 34 95% of the time but would like to keep the smaller ring for the endurance races I'll be doing this year. I have an XTR front der. and an 11-34 cassette if that makes a difference.

If this will work, what are some good shifting 104 BCD 34t chain rings? There doesn't seem to be too much selection at that size for geared applications.

SLX 2x10 comes stock with a 36-22T, so I think you be fine 34-22T.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/slx/product.-code-FC-M665.-type-..html

Have you considered a 1x9 34x36? Just asking because once I went to 1x10 I can't imagine going back. I'm just waiting for things to wear out on my other bike to make the 1x move. Never found the 32x11 lacking. Are you riding the road? I can get over 20mph on the fireroads no problem. After that type of speed off road I'm usually not pedalling anymore.

I think he is planning to do 4-8hr rides this year so the 22t can come in handy.

Data point of one but I run an unramped 34 on a 22/34 2x9 setup with the slx 2x9 front derailleur.

Works pretty well. Not perfect and quick but works great since I spend 95% of the time in the 34.

soundz said:
I think he is planning to do 4-8hr rides this year so the 22t can come in handy.
This. No 1x9 or 1x10 for me this year. My 22t was a life saver at yesterday's race. I've also had some situations where I've wanted more then the 32x11, which is why I'm looking to either keep my triple or swap the 32 for a 34.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll check out the blackspire rings and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom