Trek stache vs roscoe

ChrispyKreme

Whos got experience with the stache. Love the idea and feels good in a lot but how fun are these things on the woods. Tossing the stache vs 27.5 plus. Any input would be appreciated

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what size? I've got one with everything except the wheel set. It has 11 miles on it. Literally.....11 miles. I built this up from the frame and it just didn't fit me.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I got some experience with Staches. I have owned two of them. One was more of a stock build Stache 9 when it was first introduced. The one I ride currently was built up with a 140mm fork and 27.5 plus wheels. For some time I was riding both of them, as there was certain things I liked about each setup. However, I bought a house, so one of them had to go. The 27.5 plus setup tends to cater to my riding style a bit better, as it definitely more playful. With that being said, the Stache 29 plus is WAY more playful than ever expected, ESPECIALLY when you slide the Stranglehold dropout forward that 15mm. The Roscoe, for the price, is also hard to beat. But, it doesn't have a rear thru axle, so may make upgrading it a bit harder down the road. I have all the Roscoes and Stache 7 in stock if ya wanna check em out. You're also welcome to try mine out. Its a 19.5. I'm over at Sussex Bike in Andover

mustclime

My advise on bike shopping: decide what your weak points are while riding and buy a bike that has a design help you with those weak points. To often people buy bikes that are designed to help them with their strong skills and end up having less fun. For example, say you are a strong climber and a crap going down hill..... so you buy a bike that is great for climbing....for the most part, bikes that are designed to climb well are generally not great for flying down hills. So your climbing is better but you are slower going down hill....are you having more fun?

goldsbar

As CycleBoy stated, you need to move the dropout forward to at least the halfway point. Trek sells it stock in the rear (long) position. Not sure if it was just a coincidence as I was also experimenting with tire pressures, but the bike really came alive on my third ride when I moved up the dropouts. Speaking of tire pressures, you won't get any of the 29+ benefits if they're too high. I'm 150 lbs and ride 14 lbs max, usually a little lower. It's very easy to demo this bike and have it setup incorrectly, so make sure you check these items.

All that said, the bike is awesome. The cornering traction on smooth dirt is like a crit bike on the road; you can get some serious lean angles and it's fairly nimble. My first and nearly only mod besides a dropper was changing down to a 28 ring in the front. The climbing traction is so good I actually needed the lower gear. It can also truck over the NJ rocks without problem.

Downsides are weight - it's a HT at F/S weight - and it feels really big at times. In theory, your seat height is determined by the bottom bracket height, but it does feel like you're sitting high up on some of the tech obstacles. Dropper post somewhat alleviates this.

ChrispyKreme

I got some experience with Staches. I have owned two of them. One was more of a stock build Stache 9 when it was first introduced. The one I ride currently was built up with a 140mm fork and 27.5 plus wheels. For some time I was riding both of them, as there was certain things I liked about each setup. However, I bought a house, so one of them had to go. The 27.5 plus setup tends to cater to my riding style a bit better, as it definitely more playful. With that being said, the Stache 29 plus is WAY more playful than ever expected, ESPECIALLY when you slide the Stranglehold dropout forward that 15mm. The Roscoe, for the price, is also hard to beat. But, it doesn't have a rear thru axle, so may make upgrading it a bit harder down the road. I have all the Roscoes and Stache 7 in stock if ya wanna check em out. You're also welcome to try mine out. Its a 19.5. I'm over at Sussex Bike in Andover
I tried calling the shop today looking for the roscoe 8 in a 18.5. Any available

Top Bottom