Trek 4500 2011? Your Opinion on Specs?

Tomasetti

Just getting into the sport. Looking for your opinion on these specs, especially the front suspension and disc brakes. Is this bike worth $700? I like the Trek 6000 but is not available in 16 inch. Thanks!

2011 Trek 4500 Disc
Frame Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack and fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
Front Suspension SR Suntour XCM-HLO w/coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, 100mm
Wheels
Wheels Shimano alloy M65 hubs; Bontrager Ranger, 32-hole rims
Tires Bontrager XR2, wire bead, 26x2.1"
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano M430, 9 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano M430
Rear Derailleur Shimano M430
Crank Shimano M430, 44/32/22
Cassette SRAM PG-950 11-34, 9 speed
Pedals Wellgo alloy platform
Components
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1
Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
Handlebars Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm, 25mm rise
Stem Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm
Grips Bontrager SSR
Headset 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset Shimano M445, hydraulic disc

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's okay for starting out. If you get into to it and want to ride regularly (at least weekly), you'll get something better in the future. If you have a Giant dealer around you, they have some good value around this pricepoint.

MikeP

look at the 6500, it's 380 more but it's a bike that will ride much better. Full Deore drivetrain with better cranks and wheels equals smoother shifting and a faster more durable ride. Also good upgrade to Rock Shox Tora SL. Spend more now and get a bike that you can ride for a long time instead of buyer a lesser quality bike and need to upgrade in a year or two. You do realize that a 15.5 and a 16 are virtually the same size?

Last edited:

BobbyD

I have to agree with MikeP about the size issue. You really should be sized though by a shop and be sure. Also if you're a young guy and still growing, going larger might be a smart thing to do. Just a thought. I would steer clear of the 4500 because of components group too. I like the 6500, but I think the components on the 6700 are far better than on both the 6500 and 6000. Also as Mike pointed out, you're better off spending a little more now than to spend a lot more upgrading. Keep in mind that you can get the price down a bit less than the msrp for sure. I just bought my 8000 for $1730 and the msrp is $2029. Planet Bike tried selling it to me for about $1900, so I would stay away from chain stores like them. I like Giant too, but for me to get the XT component group I would've had to spend big bucks($3000), and the next model down was $1000 and had crappy components (at least for me). Good luck.

MikeP

Just getting into the sport. Looking for your opinion on these specs, especially the front suspension and disc brakes. Is this bike worth $700? I like the Trek 6000 but is not available in 16 inch. Thanks!

did you decide on a bike yet?

rwix15

The new 2011 Trek 6000 bike is out. With Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes from the old BB5 disc brakes. and RockShox Tora from the RockShox dart. Finally some nice upgrades for the 6000.

MikeP

The new 2011 Trek 6000 bike is out. With Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes from the old BB5 disc brakes. and RockShox Tora from the RockShox dart. Finally some nice upgrades for the 6000.

really beefed up the specs on the bikes, paint jobs are blah. Glad I got an '10 Top Fuel, the '11 TF 8 looks like it should be at a Raiders game

mani

I know how you feel. I just got into the sport. For what it's worth, I got the 2011 Giant Revel 0. It replaced the Yukon. I felt like I got more value on the Giant. So far I love this bike. It's held up to some good pounding so far. I also know that I will probably get a new bike in a few years, but this is all my budget allowed for right now. Buying a house real soon.

rwix15

really beefed up the specs on the bikes, paint jobs are blah. Glad I got an '10 Top Fuel, the '11 TF 8 looks like it should be at a Raiders game

I agree. I have the Matte paint (vs the gloss) and it scratches real easy.
I don't get it.

Top Bottom